Zhu Jun & Liverpool?

Discussion in 'China' started by xfactor857, May 18, 2010.

1. jaredk

jaredk Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    wow i was just browsing through some liverpool fc forums. the chinese bid seems to get alot of support from fans, but mostly it is due to the fact that they regard the current yank owners as worse than shite and can't wait to get rid of them lol. bizarre.

2. ntg.

ntg. Moderator
    Staff Member

May 9, 2007
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

haha not exactly bizarre
    if we look at the example of carson yeung
    i did not hear much bad thing about it

especially this takeover is sponsored by the PRC government
    and they are attempting to bid an internationally well known football club
    in regard to 面子, i believe we will definitely perform better than the yanks if the takeoveris successful.

3. jaredk

jaredk Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    heh, not so much that i'm doubting the abilities of huang and co, even if the cavs deal is iffy, or the wealth of the sovereign wealth fund behind the bid, supposedly one of the biggest in the world,

but usually in the western world, any thing regarding china or even remotely associated with the chinese government , there will be all sorts of negative knee jerk reaction and the ensuing moral superiority arguments. especially when it comes to the issue of owning their prized assets.

so far the usual holier-than-thou attitude and anti-china snide comments are largely from non liverpool fans.... u know the demeaning/sarcastic/political remarks on human rights,tanks, mao, commies, tibet, taiwan etc...u get the idea. the media is as usual talking about "communist" china this, "state run" investment firm that so

thats why i'm kinda surprised to see many lfc fans defending the bid in contrast. i guess they REALLY REALLY HATE the 2 yankee owners lol .... i mean the "worse than shite" description i mentioned before....that's actually one of the tamer comments i came across in their forums, most of the abuse directed at those 2 owners can't be, i presume, printed in this forum, seriously.

ps. yeung is seen more as someone from hk, the "former british colony" ;)
    not china china. so yeah he gets less stick

4. ntg.

ntg. Moderator
    Staff Member

May 9, 2007
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    western media always has the tendency to write something bad about eastern businesses..
    whether it's ideologies, environments, stereotypes...there's bound to have something minor to exaggerate about lol.

i went to the arsenal forum
    one of the guys there already made a taunt for liverpool if the chinese was to have a successful take over.

"you will never wok alone" :rolleyes:

5. chengb02

chengb02 Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Yeung is seen that way because HE IS from HK and even though he can sit with government officials when he brings Birmingham to Beijing, he doesn't have the Party connections that Huang has.

From day 1 when it was announced Kenny Huang was bidding, it was obvious the government was behind it, but I'm very shocked that China Investment Corp let it be known they are the ones ponying the money for Huang's bid. Perhaps that has something to do with the new EPL ownership rules.

I think the EPL is between a rock and a hardplace. After Thaksin, I think they want to be a lot more careful about their fit and proper person test. In a lot of ways I think they'd want to reject Chinese government ownership of a club, but I could see the British government stepping in, worried about what that would do to relations between the countries, and pushing them to approve it. I can see the EPL hoping and praying these days that one of the other groups bidding for Liverpool wins out.

6. Only_ONE_United

Nov 30, 2008
    Vancouver/Hong Kong
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    Hicks and Gillete definitely seem like they are more willing to let go of the club for the right price given the crap performance last year...

Totally opposite approach to the Glazers who have straight out rejected any notion of sale discussions (argh).

7. chengb02

chengb02 Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Seems like UK media may have jumped the gun on the CIC connection in the Liverpool bid, I can't imagine the CIC wanting a part of Liverpool, economically it doesn't make sense and it doesn't fit their profile. Oh well, still think EPL really hoping that one of the other bidders wins out.

8. jaredk

jaredk Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    heh i still recall the time right before the Beijing Olympics when all of a sudden
    their sport journalists became expert weathermen;)

dang thats the best pun they can think of? i'm disappointed lol, then again i came across this classic, "me love you wong time" facepalm

9. ntg.

ntg. Moderator
    Staff Member

May 9, 2007
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    maybe more:
    the infamously classical liverpool beachball might turn into ping pong balls :p

10. jaredk

jaredk Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    yeah, i'm well aware of that:) what i meant was, even though he is technically from a place part of china proper, he isn't viewed as a china bidder. you don't see them treating kenny as a Guangzhou bidder he simply is a china bidder. plus the govt connection hence the difference in how the media treats them, as i attributed to earlier.

actually they are trying to distance them from the chinese govt link, for fear of the expected anti-sino backlash. it is more apparent with the increasingly confusing smoke and mirrors PR by multiple sides as the hrs go by that confusion still reigns...

evident from the claims and counter claims, quotes and misquotes, denials and counterdenials, wild rumours of a syrian bid being close to a deal plus the Rhone bid and Al Kharafi one and another indian bid supposedly still in it...etc

one day an article states cic is backing huang, the next day huang denies it. one momment a report says Templeton is involved in this , the next moment the claim is rejected by yang guang.

obviously all the shit and lazy journalism don't help matters
    but at least we know QSL Sports will be the main purchasing vehicle from the huang bid. when they will disclose to the public the full extent of the govt backing will depend imo from how serious is the anti-china sentiment and how advanced is the stage of the takeover discussions.

11. jaredk

jaredk Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    ahhh :D i remember dat match, iirc it was against sunderland...

funny story, reading thru several 70 page threads yesterday, yes i'm an idiot, i saw this gem

apparently a fan edited the wiki page before the last part got deleted lol

12. chengb02

chengb02 Member

Oct 14, 2002
    I can believe Huang would like to play a role in buying Liverpool, he may even have found backers with the money, but I doubt it. Media reports about him are bullshit, he's far from a billionaire and doesn't own a 15% stake in the Cavs. Huang helps make deals, but he isn't and never has been the money guy. He does have connections to the government and it wouldn't surprise me that there are some rich Chinese government types in the group that he may or may not be leading to buy Liverpool.

What I'm not ready to believe is that CIC has anything to do with the bid. I've been thinking about this for a few days, I honestly don't think anti-Chinese sentiment has anything to do with it. I think Liverpool fans would be okay with Hitler owning them, as long as he had the money to bring them a title. I think we've seen excitement from them because CIC is rich as hell and they think it will mean a lot of transfer purchases.

The reality is that this doesn't fit with CIC's profile at all and it makes no sense for them to buy Liverpool. It is completely outside of CIC's typical investing strategy both in the type of companies they purchase and in the fact it would be complete ownership whereas CIC usually only buys a small percentage. Plus, its far more high profile than the typical CIC purchase. Never mind the fact that its almost a guaranteed money loser and an idiotic investment.

13. Only_ONE_United

Nov 30, 2008
    Vancouver/Hong Kong
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    ******** liverpool. If the Chinese government had any real interest in investing in a football team, they should take ManUtd out of the Glazer's hands or at least buy up some shares. A partnership of the "biggest" country in the world with the biggest sports brand in the world would make even Fake Madrid wet their pants. :)

14. Puckodum

Puckodum Member

Jun 27, 2007
    Sweden
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
  15. xfactor857

xfactor857 Member

Sep 21, 2003
    True dat.

16. jaredk

jaredk Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    early word is club statement due soon. we could soon know the identity of the new owner. or maybe not.

shitty journalism prevailed. lots of bad info out there but 1 thing is clear he is the face of the china bid, the point man.

as i wrote before, cic denied direct involvement. whether it was misquote i'm not sure, but i doubt it. i'm more willing to believe indirect behind the scene involvement but lets see. and nothing to do with Liverpool fans, mot support the bid. as i said they view the yanks as shit-faced lying **********, so yeah anyone else is better. thy are that desperate. i shit you not. what im thinking more of is the general public backlash.

you could be right.

coming from a medical background, i have not much clue about the in n outs of investing in a football club. although i generally live by the rule of never say never, it does seems unlikely that a swf would see this as a stable venture.

who knows maybe they got sick of buying US treasury bonds to prop up the econmy, and yet continually get lectures by the americans on how to run their country lol....

17. ntg.

ntg. Moderator
    Staff Member

May 9, 2007
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
  18. xfactor857

xfactor857 Member

Sep 21, 2003
  19. jaredk

jaredk Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    yep, very shoddy journalism on display again.

this is very interesting now, insiders have said all along his bid is the only credible one.

it could be a negotiating ploy in a game of poker, waiting to see who blinks first. but it does seem like the owners will bring the club down with them, rather then selling

20. jaredk

jaredk Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    not looking good for huang on both fronts.

21. xfactor857

xfactor857 Member

Sep 21, 2003
    I'd call the Cavs non-deal a saving-face exercise for Huang. I don't think he wants to invest in a Lebron-less team.

22. chengb02

chengb02 Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Not sure where that article comes from, but the author is a moron. Kenny Huang never had anything to do with the Cavs deal other than making a phone call or two, he said as much in a statement his company released back in April. It was Albert Hung who was the businessman buying the Cavs.

23. xfactor857

xfactor857 Member

Sep 21, 2003
    It's not just this author. Huang's connection with/investment in the Cavs has been reported all over Western world.

24. jaredk

jaredk Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
  25. chengb02

chengb02 Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Huang has a really good PR team it seems. Too many lazy reporters out there who just do a google search and go with what other reporters say (or worse, use wiki) instead of contacting original sources.