Alert: Zero-tolerance to racism per FIFA-chief

Discussion in 'Referee' started by juneau-AK, Apr 16, 2019.

1. juneau-AK

juneau-AK Member

Apr 15, 2017
  2. psyc1Ops

psyc1Ops Member

Jun 22, 2017
    Singapore
    IASocFan repped this.
  3. SoccerRefNova

SoccerRefNova Member

DC United
    Mexico
    Mar 27, 2018
    But, I thought this was limited to just a few crazy, isolated incidents? You mean, it's actually an issue worth addressing now?

We'll see how long this campaign actually lasts.

4. vinDeezul

vinDeezul New Member

Jun 30, 2017
    Nothing to do with you, go away.
    That is what I say to players who poke their noses in when their teammates or opponents were booked.

This is in international forum as I have understood. To people who may want to brood this Easter Week, there is a podcast on one of the newspaper webpage - http://bit.ly/2UIb2PC (about 24'). I cannot even begin to imagine the plight of these players and coaches. The worst I ever got was 'talk english' and 'your mother should have had abortion.'

5. juneau-AK

juneau-AK Member

Apr 15, 2017
    Drop it, pal.
    There is only a slight reference about hungry trolls, however, science has better understanding of black holes and supernovas.

6. SoccerRefNova

SoccerRefNova Member

DC United
    Mexico
    Mar 27, 2018
    Haha, I'm just amazed that all of a sudden, because of an edict made by FIFA, racism is now an actual issue worth talking about. Not because of the numerous incidents that have occurred over the past few years. Not because of what was in front of our faces yet viewed as "one-off events by crazy fans".

Instead, it's because some guy in Europe finally said (and I give him a clap for it) , "Yeah, we have a problem here." If y'all aren't happy that I was accurately describing the fans of soccer, then take a stand and fix it at your games.

But, I've yet to see racism at the MLS/USL level. Pretty sure people would get hurt if they tried that here. Local leagues, I can't think of anything either.

me116 repped this.
  7. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Two things:

While I probably risk some backlash for saying this, the concept of racism in football and particularly of FIFA addressing racism in football, is not really a referee-focused topic. To be sure, referees have a role to play in combating it. But so do all participants in the game; there is absolutely no way racism will be fixed or abolished from the game by referees only. If this is a topic people want to explore in full, I would suggest there are other forums to do so. That said, I’ll leave this thread open for now. But judging by where past threads like this have gone, this is forewarning for everyone that there is a short leash here.

Secondly, @SoccerRefNova , best I can tell, since joining only three of your 44 posts have had substance directly related to on-field officiating. Now, that in itself is not an offence—I can personally go days with only discussing professional assignment, I bet. But in a short time, almost all your posts seem to be about grievances with your local experience or now about racism in the game at-large. While it is your right to raise and discuss both topics, I’d caution that the audience for both in this forum is limited and the purpose of this forum is for other topics.

me116, mathguy ref, dadman and 4 others repped this.
  8. SoccerRefNova

SoccerRefNova Member

DC United
    Mexico
    Mar 27, 2018
    @MassachusettsRef, I’d say the best threads on this forum have little to do with on-field officiating. To say that you can be a better ref by reading is like saying you can be a better player by doing the same. They might get an idea or concept here, but overall they just need to get a game they aren’t really ready for and work it out.

I’ve lurked here for years and the threads I really remember are those about when the Grade changes came about several years ago, or the changes coming out now. I’d even say that my “Why upgrade thread” is invaluable for those asking, “Is it worth it?”

But I take your suggestions under consideration.

dadman and MassachusettsRef repped this.
  9. sulfur

sulfur Member+

Oct 22, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    There was a whole recent kerfuffle about some (several?) racist incidents at NYCFC games (back in the fall of 2018 if I'm not mistaken -- I'm not up on the topic enough to know if it's continued or if it has been addressed and stopped).

10. dadman

dadman Yo soy un papa

DC United
    United States
    Apr 13, 2001
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Link to an article in The Athletic:
    Back in November, it seems, with very small groups Proud Boys and Batalion 49. Don Garber addressed the issue briefly, saying those groups in NYCFC's fanbase were a non-representative minority of the stadium attendance. Still unpleasant to hear, see, or experience, and certainly nothing to ignore.

11. Baka_Shinpan

Baka_Shinpan Member

Mar 28, 2011
    Between the posts
    Club:
    Vegalta Sendai
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    So some far right thugs happen to be soccer fans. I am sure there are far left antifa and anarchist thugs mixed into supporters groups too. The lessons of Among the Thugs that the article cites (which is a brilliant book btw) equally apply left and right and can even draw in the middle to the mob mentality. And anyone who has been near some of the supporters sections knows that they spew hate and vitriol at opposing players and referees regardless of race, sex or nationality. All that said, still not sure what the heck this has to do with refereeing.

FIFA and USSF have been clear for as long as I have been a referee that racist comments by players is foul and abusive / offensive language and shall be sanctioned with a red card.

NCAA says the same thing and every college referee hears that reminder befoee every game.

Hear it, deal with it, report it, and empower your younger crew members to do the same.

What happens in the stands at a professional match is a broader societal issue.

voiceoflg, dadman and Bubba Atlanta repped this.
  12. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    This. Does any more really need to be said here on this topic?

13. LampLighter

LampLighter Red Card

Bugeaters FC
    Apr 13, 2019
    Just wanted to pick you up on this part, there is evidence of some far right "proud boys" fans. There is no evidence of far left or "antifa" fans.

The rest is absolutely correct, we have the tools, we protect the players and the game.

IASocFan repped this.
  14. Rufusabc

Rufusabc Member+

May 27, 2004
    Having been to several English Premier League matches (including 2 this past weekend), I am no longer surprised by the overt racism expressed by supporters. But, the harshness of the tribalism and the anger of some supporters is what strikes me the most.

I probably attend 35-40 live sporting events a year in the US, and I have never come close to encountering the viciousness of what I have heard from English football supporters.

I’m not singling out the Brits, just expressing what I have encountered while there.

15. voiceoflg

voiceoflg Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    Not sure I would recognize the political affiliation of players, coaches nor spectators who use offensive/insulting/abusive language. Nor do I care. Those who use such language need to disappear from the field and the surrounding area, period.

16. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Saying something doesn't make it true: https://freedomnews.org.uk/football-top-ten-antifa-ultras/ That is literally the first hit on Google with a simple keyword search and it appears to be proudly sourced from a politically-left outlet, rather than disparagingly done from one on the political-right.

I provide that link simply to rebut a seemingly demonstrably false statement. At the same time, I would be incredibly naive to not see where this discussion will go next. So I want to stress that I am not making any political statement, but rather replying with that link so that @Baka_Shinpan's inevitable reply does not prompt a political argument.

I hope everyone can now steer clear of such a discussion and get back on topic... though, again, I struggle to see exactly how this is a referee topic (outside some of the obvious statements that have been made above) in the first place.

dadman, Baka_Shinpan, voiceoflg and 3 others repped this.