Zavagnin to the Premiership?

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Nutmeg, Nov 27, 2004.

1. Nutmeg

Nutmeg Member+

Aug 24, 1999
  2. mpruitt

mpruitt Member

Feb 11, 2002
    E. Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
  3. Nutmeg

Nutmeg Member+

Aug 24, 1999
    Sorry - I don't follow this stuff closely at all. Is Preston the Peter Gammons of soccer - hoping that if he throws enough crap against the wall, at least some of it will stick?

Just got a note and thought I'd pass it along.

4. mpruitt

mpruitt Member

Feb 11, 2002
    E. Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Usually he's more of a 'columnist' type. Think of him as the internet version of Paul Gardner. He's a hack imo. Lots of his stuff tends to be overly critical, bordering on Euro snobbery imo.

5. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    yikes, wish I had been warned more clearly not to read the entire column but just the one sentence that actually was worthwhile.

I think either

1) Zavagnin has a "to be signed" deal in the EPL (that's what it sounds like)

or

2) several EPL clubs are vying for him, both/all in the EPL (probably more likely, remember the Reyna having the Fulham deal before all of a sudden ending up at Manchester City

I actually think I tried to read that column earlier but thought it was just another Donovan column

6. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    Nutmeg mentions "a friend" as pointing this out. I've long suspected, and I believe he has actually stated this in a couple of posts, that Nutmeg has friends in and around the Nats program. He is also one of the biggest Zavagnin boosters in the Nats forums (not criticizing, just saying). My guess is that this friend isn't someone cruising around the Internet late on a Friday, but rather someone who has inside information and knew to look for the article. I suspect that person knows this to be good information. Frankly, for some reason, I wouldn't be completely surprised if the friend were Zavagnin.Wouldn't bet on it either. But it's just a hunch.

7. Danks81

Danks81 Member

May 18, 2003
    Philadelphia
    Ummmm, he actually deemed Noonan's run at Chelsea a "trial." I think that alone tells us how good his judgement is.

8. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    I definitely believe this to be true, just wish I had those 2 minutes back from the rest of the article. (spent some time laughing)

9. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    As been posted here previously, if Zavagnin can get his Euro passport (Irish grandmother), then he will make an inexpensive addition to a semi-decent Euro side.

This is an expected outcome.