Zavagnin to Sunderland?

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by arnoldle21, Jan 25, 2005.

1. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    I have hard time believing this is just "training".

Zavagnin isn't under contract with anyone. So Sunderland is doing noone but Zavagnin a favor (like some teams do for MLS). They have no interest to train players from other countries unless they're considering signing him at some point in his career. And given his age, that'd be now. This is a trial. Both sides are probably waiting on a work permit anyway. Some article a month or two ago had already linked Zavagnin to a English club (don't remember if it named the club).

2. Horndude

Horndude New Member

Apr 29, 2004
    A long drive from SJ
    This article explains the work permit issue.

3. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Generally, I don't think so. The problem is that the promoted teams not only have to be better than the worst Premiership teams (since all that means is that they will take those teams place in relegation the following year), but they also have to be better than a team or two above the 17th and/or 16th teams in order to avoid the drop.

I would say that Wigan is probably as good as Crystal Palace or Blackburn right now, but I think Wigan is the best Coca Cola club right now, just a bit better than Ipswich and Sunderland.

4. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    So if Sunderland is at the "highest levels of Europe", Wigan are los Galacticos!

5. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    http://www.socceramerica.com/article.asp?Art_ID=562135540

Zavagnin, who could qualify for an EU passport by virtue of his Irish heritage, has lined up trials at Wigan Athletic and Sunderland, both of which are near the top of the English League Championship (second tier) and are pushing for promotion to the Premier League.

6. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    JC man. You continue to throw your common sense out the window on this. No one (except you apparently) thought that line references La Liga or Italian leagues- since basically no American(s) have ever 'made' it there.

For some beat writer who doesn't even cover soccer for a living, to write 'the highest levels of Europe'- anyone following soccer 2bits in this country gives that expression a little playroom.

And the fact of matter is, relative to other Yanks in Europe now and the immediate future, a Wigan or Sunderland contract (w/good-decent chance at Premiership in only a few months) is close enough to correct interpretation, but of course you go and get your panties in wad about such things.

:) (see the smiley...love the smiley)

7. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Can you guys debate this via PM please?

8. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    Agreed. Sorry.

9. MissingMathis

MissingMathis New Member

Oct 20, 2004
    Long Beach CA
    The chances of him going in my mind is minimal, I don't think he is the best D-mid in MLS, that title goes to Richard Mulrooney. If he does go, I must laugh at the roots of both him and a few other players in europe now. Zavagnin got his start with the Leigh Valley Steam of the old A-league, Brian Mcbride played with the Milwaukee Rampage, Stern John played with New Orleans, Onandi Lowe played with Rochester, Tony Sanneh played with Milwaukee. Some of those guys made a respectable name for themselves abroad, and all of them came from the U.S.L.. Job well done.

10. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    Hopefully we can add Clyde Simms to that list of Great former USL players soon.
    ;)

11. TAKK

TAKK New Member

Jan 28, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    I read in YA that S will make a decision Friday or at latest Monday on KZ.

Noticed on Soccernet and confirmed on S website that thye terminted John Oesters contract. Someone famaliar please correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't this guys signed when Claudio was sold?
    If I remember he made decent money.

Just speculation of course but maybe they are trying to clear a little cash for someone.

????????????????????

Just a thought.

12. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    Good thing is..we will know shortly (by Monday)

13. phillips10

phillips10 New Member

Oct 15, 2001
    Cranford
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    no, sunderland had brought in Oster a couple years before Reyna. He's been dead weight for a long time and this was probably just a little of roster cleanup. Oster is fast, that's about it but he was pretty highly thought of earlier in his career....

having said that I think Zavagnin would have a chance at some playing time for sure...

14. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    I don't remember who they brought in after Reyna. But I'm not suprised to see them looking to tweak their squad. They're still in the hunt for winning the Champsionship.

15. TAKK

TAKK New Member

Jan 28, 2004
    Westchester, NY

Thanks. I knew he had a rep at one point. Just fishing.

16. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The bottom Prem teams will become the top Champ teams, and vice-versa, through relegation. Well not exactly, but you see my point.

Sometimes bottom Prem teams become so bad (sell off of players after drop) that they sink even further down the food chain.

17. ddw31089

ddw31089 New Member

Jun 14, 2004
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    Actually Ireland is the only EU nation that allows citizenship based on grandparents. This "loophole" is also something that the EU will likely force Ireland to close, as every other country with a similar policy has altered their regulations to allow only direct blood EU citizenship.

So everyone who has Irish grandparents should hurry up and get the Irish passport while you can. Euro babes are waiting for you all.

18. dry martini

dry martini Member

Feb 7, 2003
    Washington, DC
    Oster was with Sunderland for about 5 years. Never given a run out until last year, where he played a few games well, but then sort of disappeared, partially because he was played on the left due to injury, has no left foot, and was unable to break down the defense from the left side. He caught a lot of flack from fans for not getting stuck in. Loaned to Leeds earlier this year, then behaved poorly at the Leeds Christmas party and sent back to Sunderland, where Mick has shown him the door.

Right now, a lot of the d-mid work is done by Jeff Whitley, who many would like to see replaced, but appears to be well liked by Mick.

19. Danks81

Danks81 Member

May 18, 2003
    Philadelphia
    Can't he sign outside of the window since he is a free agent?

20. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Kerry can but then it probably will not be with Sunderland.

21. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Is that now the case? I am sure that England allowed residency and a 4 year work permit for Commonwealthy citizens having British grandparents. What the citizenship laws are after that, I'm nor sure. I believe that even American's who have a British grandfather (but not Grandmother) can do the same, but I'm certain about that.

22. PaulGascoigne

PaulGascoigne Member+

Feb 5, 2001
    Aotearoa/NZ
    He probably wouldn't play until the 16th. They have league games on the 1st and 3rd, then a cup game on the 8th (I don't know if he'd be eligible for that...). Then their next league game is the 16th.

So it might be a while before he's actually playing in a game and immediately afterward being accused of being crap by M. :D

23. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    My Friday/Monday comment is due to quote in Yanks-Abroad in which Sunderland flat out states they'll make a decision by then...

24. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Lithuania, also.

25. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    I don't think that is correct (unless things have changed recently). My wife has Italian heritage, and knows people who got the citizenship based on great grandparents or grandparents.

BTW- Its silly if EU is cracking down on this. With their serious demo problems, allowing re-immigration makes a lot of sense...