Zavagnin to Sunderland?

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by arnoldle21, Jan 25, 2005.

1. ussoccerplayers.com in article about players being called into nats. camp mentions that Zavagnin will not be attending because he is currently training with Sunderland?

Discuss.

2. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    Good for him if he can get it. He has certainly siezed on his exposure from the National Team.

3. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078
    i pray he winds up in europe... he deserves a pay day

he'll make the nats playing and training over there as well

4. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    And with Sunderland currently sitting third in the CCC, if Zavag gets signed, he could find himself next year in the Premiership. Too soon to say on both counts (Z getting signed and Sunderland promoting), but the possibilities are nice to see.

5. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    OMG!

I hope he gets it
    great team sunderland have.

Stephen Elliot - amazing
    Sean Thornton - amazing

6. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    Zavagnin will never make it in Europe*

* So says a famous BS poster :) (NOT ME!)

7. wjarrettc

wjarrettc Member
    Staff Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Cliffs of Insanity
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cool. Now I can get my Sunderland jersey (thanks Claudio) out of the closet again.

8. SamsArmySam2

SamsArmySam2 New Member

Jan 25, 2005
    Wow. This makes so much sense to me.

I'd always thought of KZ as a poor man's Claudio Reyna.

Sunderland (Prem) = Claudio
    Sunderland (1st Div) = KZ

Good for him. And good for the USMNT.

9. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

Christ. American soccer is just falling apart at the seams.

10. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I mean, I wish the best to Zavag and all, but man after the stinker of a season Sunderland had in 02-03, I'm not too keen on seeing them back in the Premiership anytime soon. IIRC, they earned a full one point in the second half of that season. Reyna's injury sort of screwed them over, but still.

Either way, going to a Championship team in position to be promoted is still a good thing overall.

11. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Rusty Pierce had a European trial, too. One step at a time. Two bigger steps yet to be taken - get signed, and get playing time.

12. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    So Claudio took them down, and KZ will take them up?

Just kidding (this time).

13. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    work permit issues?

14. Colonial717

Colonial717 New Member

Aug 5, 2004
    Arlington, VA
    Not an expert here but I think that Z has played enough for the Nats that it won't be a problem. Unless we fall to 76th on the Fifa list, which now that the lockout is over hopefully won't happen anytime soon.

15. Marquis de Sage

Marquis de Sage New Member

Jul 24, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    There was talk that Zavagnin was close to obtaining Irish citizenship, but that the process was taking longer than expected. Not sure where I read that so no source... I apologize.

16. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    This is BigSoccer, anything you want to know, we've got it:

http://www.mlsnet.com/MLS/news/mls_news.jsp?ymd=20050120&content_id=21305&vkey=news_mls&fext=.jsp

17. HartwickFan

HartwickFan Member

Jul 31, 1999
    Climax, MI
    Club:
    VfR Wormatia 08 Worms
    Nat'l Team:
    Tuvalu
    Yes, before long the top leagues in Europe will be full of American players -- a sure sign that the end is near, for American soccer. ;)

18. PYordan

PYordan New Member

Aug 31, 2002
    Pamplona, Spain

You know what, if I'm a young 18 year-old American soccer player I don't know why I would join up with MLS if I can find any sort of job in Europe. Even if I go to some podunk Norwegian 2nd division team I'll get paid more than the minimum salary of MLS, and then, if it doesn't work out or I don't get signed by some big team I can just go back to MLS when my contract lets out and the league will sign me and pay me close to the league max, like they do with all Americans who have magical "Foreign" experience. Look at John Thorrington, if he had just signed with MLS out of school they would have paid him 23k a year and by now he'd be making about as much money as Zavagnin. Instead, he goes and plays for some nothing team in England for a couple years and comes back as a conquering hero earning probably in excess of 150k. Same thing with Yi. I hate to see the league bleeding to death as everybody and his brother has tried to jump the pond this year, but at the same time, if I were them, I might do it too.

19. forza inter

forza inter Member

Apr 2, 2004
    Middletown, ct
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yo thats my plan.

except im gonna be a 22 year old college grad. euro trials here i come.

i got nothin against the norweigian 2nd division!

forza inter

20. jameseyla

jameseyla Member

Jun 8, 2003
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i dont see how Zavagnin gets invited to Europe and Mastroeni does not. Pablo is much better

21. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I believe that KZ invited himself. If Pablo does the same and gets an EU passport, I'm sure plenty of people would be happy to give him trials.

22. drew_VT_6

drew_VT_6 Member

Feb 22, 2000
    Orange County, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As the demand grows, I'm sure Uncle Phil and Big L can find some more loose change under their couch cushions to re-up blossoming stars midseason. That way they'll at least get a piece of the pie if the young guys do move across the pond.

It's good for MLS players to have a competitive market. Hopefully MLS suits are cunning enough to spin things in favor of the league as well.

23. galperin

galperin Member

Feb 1, 2001
    Maineville, OH
    Interesting thoughts. You may be right.

24. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Several think that Zavagnin is a "poor man's" Reyna but at this point I would actually rate Kerry a little higher than Reyna. It's hard for me to swallow as I love Reyna but his injury woes have really take some life out of him. He can still be useful but he's going have to change and adjust his roles to keep playing effectively. Zavagnin is somewhat of a late bloomer but I can see him fitting in at Sunderland. He's not flashy and is by no means spectacular but at the end of the day he get's the job done. He may not get all the glory but his contributions are respected by his team and that's all that matters. I wish Kerry the best and I hopeful he'll get his citizenship ironed out and signs abroad.

25. UxSxAxfooty

UxSxAxfooty Member+

Jan 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fairly sure Pablo could get a Euro passport quite easily. Believe he was born in Argentina to Italian parents.

Anyway, I recall some Spanish 2nd division team making a bit of noise about Pablo sometime last year.