Zavagnin looking at Europe......

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by jri, Jan 7, 2005.

1. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    Off the KC Wizards home thread...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The most recent information from yesterday's KC Star:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kcstar
    Zavagnin has made it no secret that he'd like to play at the highest levels in Europe, and there'd be no better time for him to try that. He's applied for — and expects to receive soon — his Irish citizenship, so that he could play for a European club and not count as an international player.

“With the transfer window open (until Jan. 31), this is the time for something to happen,” Zavagnin said. “My citizenship should be done in the next 10 days. There are teams that have expressed interest in me, and I would want to pursue that.”

However, Zavagnin was by no means ruling out a return to the Wizards.

“I've also been given an offer by the Wizards that I need to give consideration,” he said. “I've enjoyed playing in Kansas City.

“But if I ever want to play overseas, it's kind of a now-or-never scenario. This is that window of opportunity for me. I just have to be patient and see what happens.”

2. IMOX77

IMOX77 New Member

Jun 15, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/10575549.htm

3. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    30 year old midfielder... tough sell, but I wish him luck. It certainly is now or never.

4. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    I don't think being 30 is a tough sell. Teams look for guys all the time for a couple years, and look at the offers McBride got last year....

Granted, he's probably got 2 years at a high level max...

5. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    30 may or may not be a tough sell pending on what a team is looking for. Where is best fit for Kerry? If he indeed does receive an Irish passport, is he a fit for an EPL squad? He's not a flashy player by any means but can be a very good link between the backline and attackers. The CCC (or whatever ists called now) is, in my opinion, is the best fit. Germany could be an option but if he's going to get an IRish passport one would assume its to play in the UK because I doubt he qualifies based on international caps.

6. CPRoyale

CPRoyale New Member

Apr 14, 2001
    Adams Morgan
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

European Union = 4 Freedoms. Goods+Services, Capital, and LABOR. Any European Union passport holder can work in any member country.

7. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

8. stopper4

stopper4 Member

Jan 24, 2000
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope Fullham takes a look at him.

Though I've grown to appreciate Papa Bouba Dioup, he's not a defensive midfielder. KZ would be an upgrade in that spot over Pembridge.

9. BurnFanMan

BurnFanMan New Member

Mar 5, 2002
    El Paso

10. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know about that, Pembridge is actualy a good footballer, not flashy but effective and has much top flight experiance.

I see KZ as a Championship caliber player and honestly on par with Pembridge at best.

11. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    You're right, he won't be a tough sell at all. The offers from the biggest clubs are going to be pouring in for him. What was I thinking?

He's unproven at top league level.

He's done well, but come on, he hasn't set the world on fire.

He's a deep squad player for the USMNT, a team that still isn't considered to have as much individual talent as about 25 other national teams.

He's 30.

McBride has had both WC and Euro success, so he's a totally different kettle of fish. and McBride is one, how many 30 + players with little to no top league experience and who are not a nat standout sign euro contracts?

If he was 22, it seems to me, he'd have a much, much better chance, because he'd have more room to improve.

I'm not saying he can't, but as usual from you, it is utterly moronic to suggest that at least Zavagnin is a tough sell at 30 years old.

12. Rommul

Rommul Member

Aug 26, 2003
    NYC
    I am FAAAAAAAAARRRRR from a fan of Kerry's. But he can play his position in the right league for more than 2 years. And I don't mean relative backwwaters like Scandinavia either.

13. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    Maybe, but "can" and "will" are to very different things.

14. E. & P.

E. & P. New Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Even if the guy ends up with a low Championship or mid-table BL2 side, or with a first division team in Scandanavia or Belgium -- that's fricking great for him! I would have loved to have played at that level, to have lived overseas and tested myself against European players. The guy was a solid player in MLS. He can be a solid player for a team at MLS's level. Will he get the chance? I certainly hope so, and will be pulling for him. This has been said before, but is worth repeating, there's a minority sentiment on these boards that seems to believe that any player looking for a contract in Europe without top talent is somehow uppity, or denigrating MLS. What junk. I remember Kerry from his stint with the Metros, am deeply impressed at the work he's put in to improve himself, and hope he gets a contract in Europe, wherever he wants it.

15. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    Really?

16. tubby_butter

tubby_butter Member

Mar 22, 2002
    Providence
    While it seems unlikely, I hope he gets a chance.

Since I've played against him, that must mean if he can make it, I can make it. I'm going to go start running right now!

17. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    Does every single post from you have to be insulting and condescending when people disagree with you?

You raised the point about his age. You don't necessarily have good or any proof that that is so relevant here. Maybe the other points are, but not age.

Because there are plenty of teams that want an experienced player- perceived or no- who can step (without massive development). Being younger is not always seen as the best in some situations..

18. Rommul

Rommul Member

Aug 26, 2003
    NYC
    Agreed.

19. kris

kris New Member

Nov 26, 2004
    Fulham? Booooo :D Nyah, they don't handle Yanks delicately enough. Lewis and hannehman on the bench, boca as a left back?? mcbride in the hole? Poowee powwee.

20. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With the new rules, his club can only guarantee holding on to him for 2 years anyway, so I don't think 30 is a problem.

21. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1. As others have pointed out, EU citizenship works for the whole EU.
    2. Germany doesn't require WPs. Only Britain does. Think about it...Gibbs had ZERO caps when he was starting in the BL for St. Pauli. Steve Cherundolo had ZERO caps when he was signed by then-BL.2 team Hannover. Etc.

22. coldfusion

coldfusion Member

Dec 3, 2003
    SoFla / SoCal
    Agreed, especially when they need the hard man in the middle. And KZ was the Nats' best last year, IMHO. This is altogether a good thing. I hope he sticks with a team we get to watch sometime.

23. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    Apparently, the Wizards have pulled off the table their offer to Zavagnin...

Wonder how this affects possibility he will go to Europe (or not?)

24. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Well, considering that as a presumed Euro passport holder, he can play in any European league for any money, his options seem to be wide open.

Personally, I think he's a very underrated performer, who always has his head in the game and always plays within his abilities.

25. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    He could have a nice couple years, making more than he did in the US. Heck of a nice guy, wish him all the best.