Zat Knight off to Villa (Bocanegra related)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by OWN(yewu)ED, Aug 28, 2007.

1. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12874_2692150,00.html

Im all for this! Knight is a pretty abysmal defender, and as shaky as Bocanegra is, the difference between the two is night and day IMO, so i am glad to finally see this off. Shame Villa are gonna get torn apart now though on D. and i want to see what this new Aussie guy Leijer is about back there. Seems like he is next in line, could be plugged in this weekend. Who else does Fulham have back there at center back?

2. Kbulldog3

Kbulldog3 New Member

May 2, 2006
    New Jersey
    im not sure but maybe moritz volz can play center back..last year he was brilliant im not sure why he hasnt played much this year.

3. Kyonn

Kyonn New Member

Dec 24, 2004
    Wouldn't be funny if they picked up Ownyewu to replace Knight.

4. T Nitty

T Nitty New Member

Jun 3, 2004
    MD
    Steven Cohen's comment on Fox Football Fone-In tonight was that Fulham could probably be mid-table without Zat. I think he was joking (a little).

Do they have room for Gooch now? Maybe this is why Boswell hasn't been playing much lately.:)

5. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    im a gooch fan, but i know that pairing would be a calamity. Those two are not a good pairing together. Not really sure if there are any EPL teams who would make a move for Gooch right now, unfortunately. His fom at newcastle really put that to rest :eek:

Im thinking he signs on with a French league team, if he signs anywhere. Marseille, Tolouse, Bordeaux, Sochaux, Lille, Monaco, etc. And yes....Marseille even after their recent signings, still need help at CB. Thats a big team that needs help in the back that might look.

but anyways, no more Zat Knight wooo! :D

6. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Chris Baird, Ian Pearce, Philippe Christanval and Aaron Hughes can all play in the center-right. Baird's been playing on the right and Hughes was injured and is just returning.

Pearce and Cristanval are more of a back-up quality.

As was Knight ... which is what he'll be for Villa.

7. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
  8. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Boswell can't get a work permit.

Gooch could be an option I guess, but that would just be too many Americans now wouldn't it.

Perhaps the Jay Demerit rumor could be re-ignited.

By the way, Zat Knight has been improving over the last year and a half. People have been judging him a lot on reputation, and not performances. He's at least better than Titus Bramble :)

9. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah. Knight has gone from dreadful to simply inconsistent. He has had some good games recently.

10. Plan B

Plan B New Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Chicago
  11. SoccerKowboy

SoccerKowboy BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 13, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really don't understand this move on Villa's part. Are they that desperate for a defender? Knight just scored an own goal this weekend WHILE PLAYING AGAINST VILLA. And it was a horrendous OG.

12. Norsk Troll

Norsk Troll Member+

Sep 7, 2000
    Central NJ
    From the Soccernet article:

Not sure Fulham got their money's worth.

13. alocksley

alocksley Member

Jan 30, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    I think scouts fall in love with Knight's physical attributes and ignore his obvious failings as a defender. The same can be said of Onyewu. The only difference is Knight is British, and will therefore get many more chances to succeed than Onyewu.

14. Red Star

Red Star Member

Jan 10, 2002
    Fayetteville, AR
    This is the kind of decision that keeps Aston Villa in their time honored position.

15. El Steve

El Steve Member

Sep 7, 2004
    Pittsburgh
    Club:
    Pittsburgh Riverhounds
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    they weren't relegated and got 3.5 mil for him... i'd say that's a solid investment

16. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    I'd take Knight over Onyewu personally.

I very much doubt it's got anything to do with him being British, which would tend to make his transfer fee higher than most clubs would pay. Otoh, very odd move by O'Neil, who I have always been impressed with as a judge of talent. I can only presume that he wants squad cover and that Knight was anxious to move back to the Midlands.

17. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Mellberg wants out and Laursen is often injured.

Knight can either rotate, back-up or fill-in.

Villa has money to spend and £3M doesn't make one a starting quality.

Whereas £3M is the top-of-the-pops for Fulham - a team of "£3M or lower" buys.

18. jcsd

jcsd Member+

Jan 27, 2006
    Knight's been heand-and-shoulders Fulhams best CB for last season and the few matches played trhis season, though I'm not sure that's saying much given that last season Fulham had the worst defensive record in the league.

I am slightly suprised by the £3M tag, but then again he has been fairly steadily improving.

19. Kevin8833

Kevin8833 Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Estero, FL
    I am a big Parkhurst fan, I am sure he will not be the replacement but I would love it if he was, Boca is a pretty decent enough strong defender, parkhursts smarts and skills may mesh will with boca, he could get a work permit to I believe. Demerit would also be a pretty good choice, I would like Onyewu to go back to the EPL but not playing along side Boca that just doesn't work very well, and will get him out of the EPL for good probably.

20. Principal Firebush

Principal Firebush Smorgy Borgy Borgy

Jun 20, 2006
    Ohio
    Mellberg doesn't want out. Knight will be 4th choice at best behind Laursen, Mellberg and Cahill. I'm not a big fan of his so hopefully he doesn't have to play a lot.:D

The thing that had kept Villa mid-table in recent history has been Doug Ellis but he's gone. Now Martin O'Neill has Lerner's money but he is making some questionable decisions.

21. 60611

60611 Member+

Jan 23, 2007
    Chicago
    Knight involved in heroin bust, according to the Sun.

22. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/gossip_and_transfers/default.stm

I believe Mellberg's deal is expiring after thsi season. He may re-sign or he may not.

Now, Martin's got cover in either case.

I happen to like his moves. I think he is assembling a very good team at Villa Park.

23. olephill2

olephill2 Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fulham's depth at center back is pretty thin, so this move surprised me. And for the record, I think Zat Knight has been much more solid thus far this season than Bocanegra has, and I'm a Bocanegra fan.

24. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i agree also surprised me, they must really like this australian is my best guess. good news for Bocanegra though nonetheless, less competition, and i think it will ultimately be better for Sanchez's squad

25. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas