Zani Presents: Wayne Rooney is Overrated and other Thoughts

Discussion in 'England' started by ZANI, Oct 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pazarius

Pazarius New Member

Jan 10, 2004
    England
    When did he say that? Link?

Figo was never benched, he started all 6 of Portugal's games in Euro2004, he was just subbed off a couple of times. Postiga didn't really play the 'game of his life'. He came on for Figo after 75 minutes, and didn't really do anything except score the equalizer.

No, he'll probably go under those circumstances. But they'll wait until it's impossible for us to qualify. Even with a few dreadful results England will still finish second and probably qualify through the playoffs.

My point was, Sven is more than two bad results away from being fired.

Possibly. Although given the opposition in our group not getting at least one win was very unlikely. And Kevin Keegan's team limped out of Euro2000 at the group stage and he wasn't sacked.

Well, there are three meanings of the word 'desperate'. Only one however is applicable to a person: 'made reckless by despair or urgency'

Man U's problems are indeed urgent, and you could possibly attribute the emotion of despair to Fergie concerning Man U's season. I do not consider him to be desperate because I see no signs of him being reckless. He is managing his team the same way he always does.

Cisse hadn't played in a top league before. Baros had looked promising but never looked like a reliable goalscorer except with the Czech Republic. Even an underperforming Owen or the badly overweight version of Ronaldo would have started the season as first choice striker.

Yes. But I still think a midfield that isn't pushed back deep into our own half so easily for 70 minutes would achieve more. If we'd have just been able to kill the game off with another goal there wouldn't have been any extra-time, and hence no need for that Lampard goal.

2. ZANI

ZANI Member

Feb 14, 2004
    USA
    Pick any paper before the Wales game. It was all over.

You are right. Because when he was substituted he didn't sit on the bench. He went straight to the dressing room.

Equalizer in EURO 2004. Even Henry couldn't do that.

Now why did you say they can't fire him?

Four strikers last game. Ain't that reckless?

Are you saying France is not a top league? Two finalists in Euro last season.

Whatever happened. Lampard saved the day for England. At least before the PKs

3. Pigs

Pigs Member

Everton FC
    England
    Mar 31, 2001
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Before I start I haven't bothered to read all this thread, because I know it's going to be just filled with crap.

Is Rooney 5ft 10?
    Yes he is, I seen him play at Goodison Park and HE IS 5ft 10, it's a bit hard if you live thousands of miles away, in an armchair watching the tv with a Chelsea scarf rapped around your neck thinking your a fan all of a sudden, no you are just part of the new bread of Chelsea gloryhunters. Rooney is well built, he used to be a boxer as a kid. He looks maybe smaller than what he is because he's strong. Smith looks taller than what he is because he's skinny.

Rooney IS a sell out, he talked about being a true Evertonian, and he even wore a shirt underneath his jersey saying "Once a Blue always a blue" when he scored in the FA Youth Cup. But no he sold out and went to man United. A team that shouts stand up if you hate "scousers". Rooney is a scouser, which brings me to my next point "The Sun newspaper" has been anti-liverpool anti-scouser ever since the Hillsborough disaster, and ever since the people of Merseyside stopped buying their newspapers, in turn the Sun has lost millions. The Sun wrote lies saying that scousers urinated on the dead in Hillborough and stolen from people. Every time something happens in Liverpool that's bad the Sun is their with a headline. That's why around England many people dislike scousers because of the Sun newspapers lies. BUT, Rooney sold out and sold his story to the Sun. Something he should never have done.

I can't stand him to be honest, but is he overated? No, he's probably the best player I've seen play and I've been to hundreds of games. I'm not talking about on tv, I'm talking in the stadium. When Rooney get's that ball to his feet. People stand up. When Rooney got the ball against Fenerbache 60,000 mancs stood up. They stood up for a reason and not because they hate scousers.

he scored a hatrick against one of the best Turkish clubs one his debut after being injured for months. He was the top goalscorer at Euro 2004 and the best player until he got injured. That was when Baros overtook his record.

Obviously this had gone way over your head, because I'm sure you know very little.

4. ZANI

ZANI Member

Feb 14, 2004
    USA
    Pigs don't know sh!t about football. They are too fat and lazy for football

This ain't my post. You b!tch. If you have none to say. Just shut the fvck up.

5. royalstilton

royalstilton Member

Aug 2, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ---
    very concise evaluations! idiotic, though!

how's it going amassing the financial resources so that you can purchase a share of ManU and get Smith off the bench and into the starting XI?

you might try starting up a website to see if anyone would pitch in and join you, folks who think that Smith should be ahead of Rooney. just a thought.

6. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    Or starting Defoe since he hasn't scored in the premeirship in nearly 2 months.

7. royalstilton

royalstilton Member

Aug 2, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Purrs have only scored 5 goals altogether. It can't be all Defoe's fault.

8. Pazarius

Pazarius New Member

Jan 10, 2004
    England
    I didn't say they can't fire him. I said:

I don't claim to be auditing the FA's accounts, but it seems clear that they have been and are still in some degree of financial difficulty, due to overly ambitous spending under Crozier. The most recent story is the FA's new national academy, which is in limbo because the FA can't find the funds to complete it. While it would be wrong to say they can't fire him, doing so would exacerbate their financial problems, possibly making them reluctant to proceed.

Four strikers were indeed on the pitch, but only for the last half hour of the game. And two of them were playing in midfield, at no point was there a change to a more attacking formation. Smith has played in midfield a considerable amount for Leeds. The fact that Rooney, and in the first half Saha, played out wide suggests to me that Man U have a lack of decent backup wingers in the squad, not that Fergie is in any way being reckless.

You can't judge the strength of a league on performaces in Europe over one season. Where were french teams the season before that? And where will they be at the end of this season?

the UEFA Country Ranking 2004 has France in 5th place, significantly behind the top 3.

I think this discussion has veered off on a bit of a tangent. Very little of this seems to be relevant to Smith and Rooney.

Fergie will inevitably start his best 11 against Arsenal. He has to win that game. We will see who Fergie currently has the most faith in.

9. ZANI

ZANI Member

Feb 14, 2004
    USA
    Hey Prenn. You can now close this thread. ROONEY IS THE MAN.

10. Prenn

Prenn Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Ireland
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I don't need asking twice.