Zanesville HS Player Gets Jail Time for Flagrant Foul

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by Bill Archer, Nov 8, 2003.

1. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds like he certainly deserves it. I'd hate to get to the point where police stand around at games waiting to arrest kids, but...

"It was clear from the tape that he planned to hurt the player from Coshocton, and you saw him look around to see where the officials were."

During a dead ball, T.J. Helbling was flagrantly fouled by Malloy, taking an elbow to the mouth and damaging four of his teeth badly enough that he won't be able to finish the season. Helbling underwent oral surgery to straighten his lower teeth, which were jammed backward at a sharp angle, and to set his jaw which was broken in two places.

http://www.zanesvilletimesrecorder.com/news/stories/20031107/localnews/596598.html

2. suspenders1964

Mar 4, 2000
    Sounds like a perfect prospect for the D.C. United youth system.

3. YITBOS

YITBOS Member+

Jul 2, 2001
    1.3 hours from CCS
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bull sh!t. The next law suit that is going to be filed is against the schools for allowing such behavior to happen. The precedent has now been set and we are going to have greedy urchens coming out of the woodwork.

180 days?!? WTF? Sure, 178 of them are suspended, but still a half a year's sentence seems a tad extreme.

4. Eggy

Eggy New Member

May 28, 1999
    CBUS
    Zanesville in the mutha-fcuken hizouse!

Bill what ya doing reading the Times Recorder? I read it but for personal reasons. Can't see why anyone without connections would read it.

5. CrewDust

CrewDust Member

May 6, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    180 days is way too much. However can the kid get expelled?

6. Tmagic77

Tmagic77 Member+

Feb 10, 2003
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I freaking hope so. There's nothing that the school can do to that kid that's too harsh of a punishment.

7. myshap

myshap Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Fixed the Times Recorders Story

8. DGA57

DGA57 Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Dublin, OH
    I saw the tape and he deserved every day he got, plus all additional penalties imposed (monetary compensation to the victim to compensate for all medical bills). The victim did not sue and all was result of the criminal action filed against the kid from Zanesville.

His behavior has no place on a soccer pitch - or anywhere else. Unless you're a DC player for which all seems to be forgiven and forgotten by a gutless organization and a gutless league.

9. NorwichBu

NorwichBu Member

Jan 9, 2002
    Columbus, OH
    i hear that ray hudson and bradley are fighting tooth and nail to get this kid. bradley needs someone to replace ABMOD and figures this guy will fit into his system well. hristo and dema think that this prospect can be one of their best pupils. i can't wait to see who wins this DC-NY bidding war.

10. Eggy

Eggy New Member

May 28, 1999
    CBUS
    So this kid gets jail time but Hristo gets nothing. That's justice for ya.

11. DGA57

DGA57 Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Dublin, OH
    Yep, justice can be a b!tch. Some people get the death penalty for a murder. Then there's a guy who kills 48 women and gets life in prison without parole. Same comparison could be applied to the Zanesville kid and the Bulgarian Butcher.

12. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just gotta say, this is maybe the best line I've read here all month.

13. Crewmudgeon

Crewmudgeon Member+

Sep 3, 1999
    Crewdom
    Normally I don't think the courts should get involved in what takes place on the playing field of any sport. But, ONN showed video of the incident, and I must admit that it was the most flagrant and malicious thing I've seen on a soccer pitch in years. It tops anything Kovalenko, Stoichkov, or half of the Mexican national team could ever have done.

14. argo15

argo15 Member

Jan 5, 2002
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The kid throwing the elbow was actually playing for Albany Alexander H.S. (near Ohio University) and he had just turned 18 within the last week or so prior to the incident.

15. Tmagic77

Tmagic77 Member+

Feb 10, 2003
    Club:
    Chicago Fire

Um, this was during a stoppage of play. That makes a huge difference. This kid deserves whatever he gets.

16. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So if your favorite player gets elbowed and injured during the run of play, nothing should be done.

But if he gets inujured by an elbow during a stoppage, he should run for the hills?

17. Eggy

Eggy New Member

May 28, 1999
    CBUS
    Ah...so he didn't play for ZHS? Ok, book him danno.