Zamparini's racist remarks to Mutu...

Discussion in 'Palermo' started by ToonUSA, Mar 12, 2007.

1. ToonUSA

ToonUSA New Member

Jan 11, 2005
    Mutu da bravo zingarello ha fatto il furbo. Del resto tutti i rumeni fanno i furbi. Noi siamo stati polli, loro sciacalli".

"Mutu was slick, like the good little Gypsy he is. Overall, all Romanians are slick. We've been chicken, them jackals".

http://www.fiorentina.it/notizia.asp?IDNotizia=48067

This is pretty racist in my book. Is he usually like this?

2. Cassano

Cassano Member

Jul 16, 2004
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Zamparini is the craziest owner in Serie A (probably all of Italy as well).

nothing new.

3. Il_Principe

Il_Principe New Member

Jan 1, 2007
    Toronto, Canada
    It is racist and very disgraceful. Even worse is the "clarification" that Zamparini provides in a story on Goal.com titled ZAMPARINI STANDS BY CALLING MUTU A GYPSY. His explanation is weak. Sorry that I don't have the link.

Zamparini has made noises about wanting to get out of Calcio altogether. Good riddance to him and his idiotic rantings. I hope that he's not back next season.

I saw the play that set him off and I must say that Mutu did nothing wrong. In fact, Mutu did everything right and scored a nice goal. No one touched Guana and Mutu was under no obligation to stop playing. That is, of course, if he even knew that Guana was down injured.

I hope this sportsmanship practice of putting the ball out of play when a player is down will slowly ceases. At first I thought that it was all well and good but now I think that it is simply annoying. Players are using it to cleverly break up opponent attacks and even when it is legitimate it simply provides another stop in the action. It is up to the ref(or assisstant ref) to stop the play, not the players.

Guidolin can be forgiven for his rant because he's under pressure due to Palermo's recent form, but Zamparini gets no grace from me. He's simply an idiot, and now we know that he's a racist.

4. Kenntak

Kenntak New Member

Jul 25, 2006
    Florida
    Add those comments to his comments that he hoped Palermo lost in the UEFA cup.

5. NickyViola

NickyViola Member+

May 10, 2004
    Boston
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    It's really a shame for Palermo fans. They had begun a really nice project there and I really feel that it's doomed.

6. NickyViola

NickyViola Member+

May 10, 2004
    Boston
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    A lot like Prandelli in that regard. What better way to seem an over-achiever than to set low expectations.

7. phillips10

phillips10 New Member

Oct 15, 2001
    Cranford
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    exactly, with family from there I've followed this for many seasons...things were really building but you can see the wheels coming off the last couple months.

8. pramzan

pramzan New Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Parma, Italia
    Gentlemen, I am not defending Zamparini's remarks but Italy is not North America. That said, Italy has a long way to go as far as being more politically correct.

The term "zingaro" (gypsy) is thrown around very loosely here even if it is meant to be used in a hateful manner.

9. indestructible

indestructible Member+

SSC Napoli
    Jan 14, 2007
    Mercato Professor
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Pramzan is correct about how the phrase is used in italy.

As for Zamparini, screw him. The guy should sell the club to someone who loves the team and city.

10. ToonUSA

ToonUSA New Member

Jan 11, 2005
    Doesn't change the fact that it is a completely factually wrong statement to make.

11. Gioca

Gioca Member

Jun 13, 2004
    Hartford
    Club:
    US Città di Palermo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hate to join a witchhunt like this, but we all know what kind of player and person Mutu is, and so does Zamparini, so I don't see how his statement is racist. He probably said words like Romanian and gypsy to keep himself from using much harsher words, but I don't see how it's racism. If Mutu were Italian (thankful he's not) I'm quite sure Zamparini would have been equally harsh.

12. Gioca

Gioca Member

Jun 13, 2004
    Hartford
    Club:
    US Città di Palermo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After finally watching a replay of this match, I get the feeling Palermo is actually finally on an upswing. I think they regained a lot of form and motivation and hopefully it continues (finally).

13. ToonUSA

ToonUSA New Member

Jan 11, 2005
    What kind of person is Mutu? I'm curious to know what allows a person to make racially insensitive comments about a person. Said words like Romanian and Gypsy? Are those not offensive?

14. NickyViola

NickyViola Member+

May 10, 2004
    Boston
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    I don't get the "we all know what kind of person and player Mutu is..." either. He is a hard-working, gifted footballer on the field. Off the field he has a young family that he provides for very well. So, he likes blow... Who doesn't?

15. apqjr

apqjr Member

Aug 30, 2003
    PB Gardens, FL
    Calling a Romanian a gypsy is akin to us in the States using the N-word. Apparently it is quite a racist term.

16. ToonUSA

ToonUSA New Member

Jan 11, 2005
    Not even to mention it's factually wrong. There are Gypsys in Romania and some of them even play soccer. (Banel Nicolita of Steaua Bucharest) However, one glance at Mutu would make it blatantly obvious he isn't a Gypsy.

17. pramzan

pramzan New Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Parma, Italia
    Gentlemen, my point is this: even though the remark is racist and the term "gypsy" was used to hurt/degrade Mutu, no one here in Italy really cares.

Why? Because the Roma that live in Italy, in makeshift trailer parks that are set up by the Roma in empty lots, are looked upon in the most negative way.

Trust me on this: no one cares here in Italy about Zamparini's remarks. No one. 99% of the population here has a negative opinion about the Roma. To Italians, they are lazy, dirty thieves.

18. JumpinJackFlash

JumpinJackFlash New Member

Mar 15, 2007
    Soviet Britannia
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Kazakhstan
    Its offensive and somebody in his position especially shouldn't be making a remark like that, but it isn't racist.

Zamparini is white, Mutu is white. They're part of the same "race". Just from different European countries. Its very different from a white man calling a black man the N word.

19. Gioca

Gioca Member

Jun 13, 2004
    Hartford
    Club:
    US Città di Palermo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My point was, Zamparini would have gone off at the guy after Sunday no matter what his nationality was. He just constantly makes off the cuff remarks. I don't see evidence of him being a racist, though.

20. Gioca

Gioca Member

Jun 13, 2004
    Hartford
    Club:
    US Città di Palermo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be accurate, the definition of the racism certainly can apply between countries in Europe.

Anyway Palermo had a Romanian player last year, Paul Codrea. Hopefully that will help put to rest the idea that Zamparini and Palermo hate Romanians.

21. Kenntak

Kenntak New Member

Jul 25, 2006
    Florida
    I initially thought the same thing but did some research on the term and it is often used to describe national origin as well.

22. Gioca

Gioca Member

Jun 13, 2004
    Hartford
    Club:
    US Città di Palermo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How are you calling ME a racist (via neg rep). I dated a Romanian girl for nearly a year, and I've never even met a gypsy, and really have nothing against anyone. Pul-leeze.

23. ToonUSA

ToonUSA New Member

Jan 11, 2005
    I see you chose not to respond to my post asking what kind of person Mutu is. You seemed to attempt to justify Zamparinin's remarks because Mutu had a drug problem a few years ago. It doesn't excuse it and it's laughable to think his comments were ok. Even if he is famous for making off the cuff remarks doesn't make them all ok. He crossed a line and as of yesterday the FRF was sending an official complaint.

24. Gioca

Gioca Member

Jun 13, 2004
    Hartford
    Club:
    US Città di Palermo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Honestly, get a life. Mutu's a liar, and this thread is just pointless.

25. ToonUSA

ToonUSA New Member

Jan 11, 2005
    O, so you don't have anything to back up your claims except a clear bias. So I guess one could call you a liar as well.