Zak Whitbred article

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by appoo, Apr 25, 2005.

1. Enge

Enge Member

Jan 28, 2004
    Frankenmuth MI
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know. Of course, reserve football combined with allergies to grass is fascinating. :--)

How does Chad Marshall compare with our overseas defensive youngsters? I'm a big Stanford fan, which makes me a bit biased.

2. socks

socks New Member

Dec 17, 2003
    oaxaca mexico
  3. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    a Zack Mills fan

4. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    IMHO he's already our best center back. that includes Gooch, Pope, and Gibbs.

then again I've been wowed by this kid since the U20 tournament, where he made Fernando Cavenaghi his personal bitch

5. Mason16

Mason16 Member

Apr 11, 2001
    South Florida
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :eek:
    Including Boca too?
    Chad is definitely a pimp at CD and I can't mount a strong arguement agaist your comment other than Defenders take time to mature and he is quite young and inexperienced. Having said this, he has show remarkable skill, composure and consistency and I think he could mature into our best defender before very long. This of course depends on the growth and development of some of the others like Spector, Zak, Gibbs and Gooch, all of whom probably will see better competition over the next few years than Chad (unless he moves to a tougher league). What about Demerit???? He deserves at least a mention.

6. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    I haven't seen Demerit play before so I can't comment on him.

and your right, Marshall does lack experience against high quality competition.

Let's put it this way. If your looking for an imposing beast who's going to dominate and intimidate the crap out of an opposing striker Chad's your man. He'll be our Eddie Pope soon - but with better skill.

If your looking for the skillful defender who just oozes class, confidence, compusure, and intelligence and woulnd't have a problem joining the midfield in distribution - Spector is your guy.

From what I've seen - both of those guys are on different levels talent-wise than Gooch and Boca and are approaching Jeff Agoos and Eddie Pope in their primes.

7. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    Excellent post IMO.