Zak Whitbread update

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by beineke, May 10, 2003.

1. beineke

beineke New Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Don't know if this has been mentioned here before, but Zak Whitbread had an operation for a hernia.

I haven't seen any word on whether he'll be kept around for another season, but he was one of eight Liverpool-area soccer players honored recently as promising young athletes.

2. usa1950

usa1950 Member

Aug 18, 2000
    Indiana USA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He played 9 or 10 games with the full reserve team this season, scoring once. The remainder of his games were with the U-20's, I believe.

At the beginning of the season, his official bio changed from dual citizenship "American with a British passport" to just "British." He's not tied to one nation or the other... yet.

3. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001
  4. beineke

beineke New Member

Sep 13, 2000
  5. bojendyk

bojendyk New Member

Jan 4, 2002
    South Loop, Chicago
    That's a bit of an understatement! :)

From the link:
    And the most disappointing?

The fact that Zak Whitbread is the only under-19 player to have been kept on by the club. We've had to let Stephen McNulty, Ian Dawes, Mark Peers and Andy Nicholas go and that is always hard. Being knocked out of the FA Youth Cup was also a big disappointment.

6. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    he has played for the u.s., but he is not captied to them.

i don't know if he has played for england.

7. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    wow!
    was the rest of the team that bad? or is whitbread that good.

it's a stretch, but liverpool's whitbread, and manunited's spector may be a fixture in our back line in the not-too-distant future.

8. Shaster

Shaster Member+

Apr 13, 1999
    El Cerrito, CA, USA
    How about Liverpool's Whitbred, Man United's Spector, AND Arsenal's Simak, starts in the US backline?

9. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Based on things that have been said, I don't expect Zak to play for the US. Keep in mind that Liverpool are looking to stack up in the off season, so the youngsters that are not immedately worthy of an impact will go. If Zak moves up, he may be looking for England. I wonder if he will get loaned out next season.