Zak Whitbread to Norwich: 5-16-2012 released by Norwich

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Kool Herc, May 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Very wild. Zach is a good CB and if he can manage to stay healthy, I think a few EPL teams will be after him.

2. soccersubjectively

soccersubjectively BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 17, 2012
    Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What a comical title.

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  3. INKRO

INKRO Member+

Jul 28, 2011
    He sounds like he's having trouble with what kind of side of the road they drive on over there though.

m vann repped this.
  4. jakepc42

jakepc42 Member+

Mar 26, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow. He was going 37 in a 30. Bad, Bad boy.

5. soccersubjectively

soccersubjectively BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 17, 2012
    Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What are penalty points?

Also, jake, I think you missed the 97 mph part.

6. Werdman89

Werdman89 Member+

May 27, 2008
    Boston, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you don't have a driving demerit point system in your state?

7. jakepc42

jakepc42 Member+

Mar 26, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Haha i caught it just couldn't believe he got pulled over for going 7 miles over. Well, i suppose i can believe thats just a real douchey move on the cops part.

8. Beantowner

Beantowner Member

Aug 19, 2005
    HK / Shanghai / NY
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For a guy who grew up in the UK, he's just trying to drive on the correct side for his country of birth.

9. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    That was pretty funny, but the 97 in a 70 twice would get you a fair bit of hassle in almost any Euro or American locale. I think that gets can get you reckless if they want in CA.

10. jcsd

jcsd Member+

Jan 27, 2006
    He's breaking the speed limit, you do get some leighway in the UK, but 37 mph is the kind of speed you could where they will prosecute. He was probably caught by an automatic camera rather than a patrol car. Tbh he's very lucky to have still have his licence.

11. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    7 over and he's lucky to have his license!?!? wow, I didn't know UK road laws were so strict.

12. odsum5387

odsum5387 Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You may have missed the part about him also being ticketed for driving 97 in a 70.

13. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    May have. Haha

14. soccaisthecoolest

Jul 22, 2008
    What's the latest on Whitbread? I hope he is able to find a Premier League team that's willing to give him a shot to compete for a starting role in the 5 or 6 games that he's healthy.

15. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I just can't see any Premier League team going in for him. Yes, he's a good player, but you want to be able to have a consistent center-back pairing throughout the season. With his injury history, that just can't happen.

I'd really like to see him move to a smaller league with fewer matches and only one domestic cup. Something like the Eredivisie might be good for him, and he'd probably be able to land on a better team than he would in England.

16. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    he'll drop down to a promotion contender like Wolves; which central defense is their biggest missing piece. It seriously bewildered me how they didnt address it except for the epic bust that was Roger Johnson. There were MLS guys who could have done a better job; Cameron, John, Besler could have filled two of those spots.

17. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Where he doesn't speak the lingo, they have their own good defenders, the business model depends on developing players for sale rather than signing expensive established players and where there is less $ (or should that be £?) than in the Championship. England is where he'll stay.

18. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Oh he's certainly going to stay in England. I just don't think he should.

19. soccaisthecoolest

Jul 22, 2008
    I agree that no Premier League team will rely on him to be the every match starter at CB, but why wouldn't they be interested in a guy with his talent? You can pick him up for less money, since he still has to prove that he's healthy. It's low risk, high reward. He'd be perfect for a team that has starting CBs in place, but would love to upgrade if they could afford it. Sign Whitbread to be a guy who could be that upgrade, on the cheap, until he gets injured.

20. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    What good is a squad player who's always hurt? It almost creates more problems than it solves.

21. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    I don't have a solid link as yet but hearing strong rumours that Whitbread will be signing for Leicester.

OWN(yewu)ED and USvsIRELAND repped this.
  22. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I wonder what his salary would be and how it would compare with an MLS salary at, say, Montreal.

23. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    Not sure what the fascination is with salary but I am willing to bet that he will be on far more that he would get at Montreal.