Zak Whitbread to Norwich: 5-16-2012 released by Norwich

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Kool Herc, May 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lombard

Lombard Member

Jul 6, 2007
    Makes Soccernet's TOTW.

2. Grumpy in LA

Grumpy in LA Bringing It Since 1807™

Sep 10, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's only about 22 months younger than Onyewu. We just haven't heard about him a lot because he's spent a lot of time rehabbing injuries.

3. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Zak and Dempsey both make soccernet's team of the week.... when did we last have 2 American outfield players do that?

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/story/_/id/1012068/team-of-the-week:-january-22,-2012?cc=4716

"Zak Whitbread was another outstanding performer for Norwich, though it's worth noting teammate Daniel Ayala could just as easily have been included. Paul Lambert's side's defence - indeed, the entire team - are a truly committed outfit and deserve to be in the top-half of the Premier League. Whitbread is one of those not blessed with outstanding natural talent but a spirited performance from him meant Chelsea's dangerous front three failed to score the solitary goal they would have needed."

4. goalhound

goalhound New Member

Jun 27, 2008
    Sol Cal
    Just got done watching chelsea vs norwich. Whitbread played a very solid game and positioned himself well to cut out a ton of crosses and through balls. He seemed to be actively organizing the defense which would be his job considering his CB partner is younger.

Norwich played a very, very compact and cohesive system so he rarely had to defend 1v1 in space. One area of concern was the amount of times he had to leave his feet in order to make plays. Chelsea were sending a lot of balls into the box and Whitbread was forced into a lot of desperate lunging, sliding clearances. I don't know how that bodes for a player with his injury history.

Although he was give man of the match by the announcers it wasn't decisive, I thought Ayala, Pilkington or Holt all deserved it, a team effort really. All in all a good game for ZW.

5. Ironkick14

Ironkick14 Member+

Sep 29, 2011
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Almost two years can make a difference when the players are nearing the end of their careers.

6. mundial

mundial Member

Mar 12, 2000
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Off-topic, but I think Dempsey and Holden may have both made it on the same week once last year. But your point is taken, and if it's not a first, it's probably a second.

7. SoccerKowboy

SoccerKowboy BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 13, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Altidore and Donovan made it in on the same team in Spring 2010.

8. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Jurgen was asked about Zak in this subscription only ESPN.com Insider story.

The coach was also asked about Norwich City defender Zak Whitbread, who was named Man of the Match in the Canaries' scoreless draw against Chelsea over the weekend and who could be in line for his first U.S. cap against Italy next month. "Zak is on our radar screen, absolutely," Klinsmann said.​

http://insider.espn.go.com/sports/s...94185/us-soccer-panama-match-unique-road-test

9. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Great news for Zak

10. prowazekii

prowazekii Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hopefully he can stay healthy, continue to play, and play well for his club, and get that NT call-up.

11. Prime Time

Prime Time Member

May 1, 2004
    South Florida
    I don't think I've ever heard Klinsmann say "No, he is not on our radar screen." That said, I expect Whitbread called in (late sub cameo?) vs. Italy.

12. chalaron

chalaron Member+

Aug 15, 2006
    Baton Rouge, Louisia
    I'm waiting to see a coach say something like that.

13. Grumpy in LA

Grumpy in LA Bringing It Since 1807™

Sep 10, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "What was his name again? And you say he plays in the Premier League? Like, the soccer one? Gosh, I've never heard of him, but, you know, me and the guys, we don't really like to watch games and stuff. So I guess we do miss a lot of guys if they don't fill out the 'I Have What it Takes to Play for the US Men's National Team' form on the website."

14. jukeboxromeo

jukeboxromeo Member

Nov 21, 2010
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    Went off injured with a knee problem v Bolton.

15. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a shame that Whitbread is literally the most injury-prone American professional soccer player.

16. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So much for that...

17. mcnaulty21

mcnaulty21 Member

Feb 6, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dear Balerion,

I disagree.

Signed,
    Frank Simek
    John O'Brien
    Claudio Reyna
    Daniel Karbassiyoon
    DaMarcus Beasley
    Stuart Holden

18. Agudelo_for_MVP

Agudelo_for_MVP BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jan 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    JOB and Holden were definitely as injured as Whitbread, but the other guys didn't have as many injury problems as Whitbread.

19. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Karbassiyoon and, maybe, Holden. The thing with Witbread, who I think is very talented, is he has not been able to solidify his position in any good way before having to sit for long spells to rehab. JOB comes close too but at least he had to those one or two strong seasons at Utrecht and one really strong season at Ajax to solidify his rep. It's too bad for Zak. I thought he was going to be a Beerhoder-esque back with a bit more upside. Hope this is only a small knock.

20. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Holden I feel has just been unfortunate. A bar fight and two hard tackles, one of which has kept him out a year now. Whitbread's injury problems I don't feel are going to go away because they seem to be a chronic issue going on several years now.

21. beamish

beamish Member+

Jul 6, 2009
    Doesn't look bad, according to Lambert.

Via Ives.

22. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    Since when did not being good enough count as an injury?

One thing that's clear about Whitbread is that he has the curse of Spector's mom. He subs off with more minor injuries than anyone.

23. chalaron

chalaron Member+

Aug 15, 2006
    Baton Rouge, Louisia
    he retired at 22 because of knee problems, that counts as an injury to me. He played several games for Arsenal...if he is good enough to get in their team even on the periphery, then he's good enough to play pro soccer.

24. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    The only time he ever played for Arsenal was in the League Cup. Of the three appearances he made there, only one of them lasted ten minutes. Only after flopping at Burnley and trying out in MLS did he give up due to "injury".

At least Johann Smith got into an actual Premier League game.