Zak Whitbread to Norwich: 5-16-2012 released by Norwich

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Kool Herc, May 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Howard the Drake

Feb 27, 2010
    You are correct. The most points that Findley and Forest, Hull, or Burnley can finish with is 75.

2. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    So despite niggling injuries here and there Whitbread started 20 of 24 matches for Norwich since he returned December 28, with 2 substitute appearances as well.

3. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    But he backed out of a US camp and was subbed out early in three of Norwich's games. And in spite of that, this has probably been the healthiest stretch of his entire career.

I view him as a taller Gregg Berhalter who could be a useful player for the US, but in view of his lack of durability, he'd probably be wiser just to focus on his club career.

4. prowazekii

prowazekii Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
  7. SoccerKowboy

SoccerKowboy BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 13, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah... I didn't know that Belgians are into voodoo.

8. prowazekii

prowazekii Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Vital Norwich has been running a series of articles on the fates of various players now that the team has been promoted to the EPL. Whitbread's is a couple weeks old now, but I just saw it today.

What does the future hold for Zak Whitbread?

9. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    It's interesting that they view Zak as a "ball distributing" defender.

Tim Ream, Part Deux?

Except with a Premiership experience.

10. alky13

alky13 Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Manchester/NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whitbread is 4 years older than Ream... Shouldn't it be the other way around?

11. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Well, Zak's Premiership experience is rather scant.

We'll see if he can keep a regular slot with Norwich. Lefties, as a rule, are harder to replace.

12. mundial

mundial Member

Mar 12, 2000
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i dont have a link but now that this thread has been bumped i think i heard something about Norwich's coach saying they would play "Stoke ball" for the sake of survival and they werent gonna be pretty about it. If strictly for survival purposes, we could see this as a developing pattern as promoted teams will think survival will be more important.

14. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Stoke has a lot of size though ... and Rory Delap.

Lawrie Sanchez's Fulham tried playing long ball without the required size (they actually sold Zat Knight that season) and were this close to going down.

Norwich doesn't look all that physically imposing on paper.

15. alky13

alky13 Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Manchester/NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think this is something often overlooked when people characterize the English game. Outside of the top 6 teams any one team can be relegated. It forces teams to play a rather ugly game than making slick passes. If you get a chance to check out a Chanpionship game you should, the style of play isn't necessarily Spanish, but more French or even Italian. The Premier league needs to consider relegation as a true fear for a lot of teams since it is the biggest TV deal in football. Teams need the money. I'd almost reckon to say that their should be a different approach to relegation.

16. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    They upped the parachute payments to the relegated teams with the latest TV contract.

17. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    a few different scenarios play out IMO. the league can be really weak some years with say 6 shockingly bad teams when any one of them can go down (the year Jozy was at Hull for instance), and then it can swing to extremely strong teams going up like when Newcastle and West Brom went up together. That drug a LOT of teams into it and two good teams (birmingham, blackpool) went down. the most traditional is the three promoted teams are heavy favorites go head straight back down. I think that will be the case this year. If QPR did all the wheeling and dealing they said they would they would have had a strong chance but for some unfathomable reason their owners arent opening the checkbook. Norwich is the only one making real moves, but even then i dont see them having much of a chance. Norwich have the strongest chance of all the teams. They need to make Carrow Road a fortress to stand a chance.

18. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1 person likes this.
  19. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    Whitbread got the start, went 45 and scored the 2nd goal off a corner in a 7-0 beatdown of Gorleston of the 9th level of English football. This was the starting team:

Ruddy, Francomb, Whitbread, De Laet, Tierney, Adeyemi, Fox, Hoolahan, K Smith, C Martin, G Holt.

20. supercooper

supercooper Red Card

Jun 23, 2008
    Me thinks someone is getting called into the Belgium match.

21. NOLA

NOLA Member

Jan 10, 2009
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I never really followed this guys career. What are the chances of him excelling in the EPL? Should we expect him to play a prominent role in the 2014 World Cup qualifiers?

22. dabes2

dabes2 Member

Jun 1, 2003
    Chicago
    If healthy I expect he's involved. Prominent or not will depend on whether he can make an impression. Zak got to the Liverpool reserves and had a few carling cup appearances for the first team (I think). He's had terrible luck with injuries and had to go to the 2nd division and build back his career. But despite not being that young or experienced with the us team, it wouldnt shock me if he turns out to be our best center back for qualifying.

23. keller4president

Jan 5, 2006
    Norwich taking on Crystal Palace in a friendly today. Whitbread starts on the bench. It appears Leon Barnett and Ritchie De Laet (on loan from Man U) are currently ahead of Zak in the pecking order.

http://twitter.com/#!/NorwichCityFC

24. keller4president

Jan 5, 2006
  25. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whitbread's return to health last season pretty much coincided with a season-ending injury to Leon Barnett. Now that Barnett is back and Norwich picked up reinforcements for the EPL, it's unsurprising that Whitbread would begin the season on the bench.