Zak Whitbread back on track

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Clint Eastwood, Oct 19, 2008.

1. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    Zak Whitbread decided to play for the United States when he could have easily felt he still had a chance to play for England (he was a fringe Liverpool player, after all).

He didn't pull a Sobotic and wait to see who all would come calling and he didn't pull a Rossi and wait for his dream to come true (as an English player, I'm sure Zak's dream was to play for England).

As far as not having ties to this country, his American passport might disagree with you.

2. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have no idea what an "accidental American" is. He was born here making him a citizen. While I do agree he has very little ties to the US other than being born here that doesn't disqualify him from the national team. Before his participation in the U-20 WC, he had only retuned to the States one since his birth playing in a youth tournament for Liverpool, but since then, from what I read he visits frequently. Still doesn't make him any more or any less American just wanted to point it out. I never condemned Rossi for his choice. He had options; he chose the best for him. Zak is the same way. He could probably never break into the English set-up but that's ok. Zak may or may not ever be a senior US international either but given his play and his age there is potential he could receive a call-up or consideration. We need to build our player pool and if that includes, Zak, who is a citizen, so be it. I tried to search for an interview with Zak that I vaguely remember reading on a British site (may have been Millwall's) discussing the US and he mentioned he keeps up with US Soccer. He said recently he bumps in Bobby Convey every now and then. Still, once again that doesn't make him anymore or any less American. BTW, his father worked in the Houston area in youth soccer before heading back to England to work in a youth academy. All I'm, saying is that he's a citizen and by that he's eligible to represent the US. Does it bother me a little that he has little ties to the US? Yes. But at the end of the day he's citizen. He's a good player who is coming into his own. If he moves up a division and shows the same or increased in his level of player he might warrant a call-up.

3. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have no idea what an "accidental American" is. He was born here making him a citizen. While I do agree he has very little ties to the US other than being born here that doesn't disqualify him from the national team. Before his participation in the U-20 WC, he had only retuned to the States one since his birth playing in a youth tournament for Liverpool, but since then, from what I read he visits frequently. Still doesn't make him any more or any less American just wanted to point it out. I never condemned Rossi for his choice. He had options; he chose the best for him. Zak is the same way. He could probably never break into the English set-up but that's ok. Zak may or may not ever be a senior US international either but given his play and his age there is potential he could receive a call-up or consideration. We need to build our player pool and if that includes, Zak, who is a citizen, so be it. I tried to search for an interview with Zak that I vaguely remember reading on a British site (may have been Millwall's) discussing the US and he mentioned he keeps up with US Soccer. He said recently he bumps in Bobby Convey every now and then. Still, once again that doesn't make him anymore or any less American. BTW, his father worked in the Houston area in youth soccer before heading back to England to work in a youth academy. All I'm, saying is that he's a citizen and by that he's eligible to represent the US. Does it bother me a little that he has little ties to the US? Yes. But at the end of the day he's citizen. He's a good player who is coming into his own. If he moves up a division and shows the same or increased in his level of player he might warrant a call-up.

4. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yes now he's a league one player at millwall hoping for promotion. But if he's sold to Everton, West Brom, or Blackburn in january, he magically becomes a premiership player. a premiership field player, even more important. Rumor has it we dont got too many of those running around these days. Not saying he's going to supplant Gooch or Bocanegra (i HIGHLY doubt anyone will this cycle even if everyone's favorite new exotic YA mancrush, Subotic, decides to play for the US), but Whitbread as a 2014 prospect, thats interesting.

Zak knows if he stays in league one he's got no chance for a callup, as our local Millwall fan implied, and i also agree with him that one way or the other this is Zak's last season in league one. He'll be in the Championship or seemingly more likely the EPL by next summer at the latest. And Championship ball is getting guys like Demerit, Simek, and EJ callups, certainly dont see how Zak would be any different so long as he produces. If its the championship, hes right in that category. If its the EPL (Simek applies to this too).....then it makes it awful hard not to bring them in simply on the premise they are playing in what is now inarguably the best league in the world.

5. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've seen him play a bunch of times this year and I've talked a bunch of local Millwall fans about him (and they can be quite critical of their own team) and he is considered a star by League 1 standards.

I don't know how to back this up, but when I was in London 2 weeks ago, someone told me he was the highest paid defender in Leauge 1. Take that for what it's worth

6. DCFAN96

DCFAN96 Member

Apr 24, 2004
    Sounds like your going out on a limb there, more likely to jump from League 1 to the EPL huh? Rumors are rumors until it actually happens, otherwise Gooch would be playing with Real Madrid right now. I do think he'll likely get a shot with a good Colaship side first, which IMO gives him a better shot at starting right away.

However I think what your saying in regards to him EARNING a callup is spot on. I think the point most of us are trying to get across is IF Zak gets picked up by a Colaship or Premiership team and IF he continues to perform well THEN he should definitely get called up. Until that happens though you just can't reasonable justify why he should be chosen NOW ahead of other options who play against better competition, the guy has to prove himself he shouldn't get called in just because there is gossip about EPL teams looking at him.

7. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even I would admit that if he actually moves to a Premiership side he is a star. I wouldn't admit that about rumours, especially ones that are rubbished in the article quoted. (and the millwall site is obviously going to shrill for their players, it's what team sites do most of the time).

Seriously, Whitbread is probably good enough to merit a look. Looking at the calendar though, the only good time to bring him in is probably early summer -- there isn't enough time during the international breaks during the spring to give him a fair chance and those games will probably be either qualifiers or preparation for qualifiers. BB is not going to mess around in the Hex with an uncapped League 1 player.

8. Adam Zebrowski

Adam Zebrowski New Member

May 28, 1999
    if we presume usa gets a slot in south africa with matches remaining, whitbread can be called in, as it's a fifa date...

another approach is for confed cup, he get a call into that camp, as his season will be over, and a look couldn't hurt...

i might even consider bringing him to the guatemala camp too...

BB willingness to blood torres quickly shows he's got the willingness to do so...

he clearly has his pulse on the american pool, far more so, than many are willing to admit

9. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Yes but for as long as he's playing Ching over Cooper, you're going to have a collective "WTF?!" coming from these parts.

10. mcnaulty21

mcnaulty21 Member

Feb 6, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's always going to be something

11. Wessoman

Wessoman Member+

Sep 26, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know this is off topic, but I cannot disagree with you more. Both the Gold Cup and the Confederations Cup take place in 2009, well before the end of the Hex. As we learned in 2006, success in tournaments in 2005 doesn't really mean squat, and, historically speaking, the only teams that take the Confederations Cup seriously is France and Mexico. Pretty much everybody else sends experimental teams, even the Saudis. Furthermore, you always take your confederational championship more seriously.
    Unless you plan to cap Whitbread right into a Hex game (Which is beyond dumb), the Confederations Cup is the only real time the US can get a good look at him in a tournament setting.

12. Wessoman

Wessoman Member+

Sep 26, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Word up. Couldn't agree more. Of course, there are other defenders I would look at before Zak. I'm pushing for the Confederations Cup.

Total agreement. Right now, Bakary Soumare has more of a claim to a cap that Zak Whitbread does.

Just a final thought--Is it me or does anybody else think that Zak Whitbread is the next Joe Enochs? All kinds of big press from lower division Europe, he gets capped, and he is out of his league? I sure would like the see him play for a better league.

13. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    More wrong than right, IMHO. The value of the Confederations Cup is that it is in South Africa. It's a dress rehearsal. Therefore, it stands to reason that, maybe you don't send your best players at the moment, but you send the guys you think are most likely to be your best players in a year. I will be shocked if all the sides don't send very representative teams.

14. polak metro

polak metro New Member

Feb 5, 2004
    I think the teams will take the confederations cup more seriously bc it every 4 years now. when it was every 2 yeras alot of teams didn't take it seriously remember Germany in 1999.

15. bshredder

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly.. the Confed Cup is a bigger deal than it ever has been. And in 2005 it was taken very seriously by Brazil and Germany. I guarantee you that Italy, Spain, and Brazil will be bringing their top teams.

16. Rainer24

Rainer24 Member

Jan 6, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is nice that he is doing well and I'm sure we all hope he continues the successful run, but what evidence is there exactly of him being better than any defender in MLS? That is a pretty hard claim to make. From what I've seen of League 1, which is admittedly only a handful of matches, I would say that the better MLS teams with a healthy starting eleven wouldn't have much of a problem with a large portion of the League 1 sides. With the sophistication of the modern scouting system you just don't see guys starting in the 3rd or 4th division anywhere and moving all the way up the ladder to be any sort of player of note. Most of the guys in those leagues are there because that is as good as it gets for them, so I personally would not be opposed to Whitbread getting called in for a camp, but I only wouldn't consider it foolish to wait until he either plays most of a season in the Championship with Millwall, should they earn promtion, or moves up a league with a new team. He is doing well, but it is not even against MLS level competition, so we can afford to delay annointing him as the savior of the back line until we've seen a bit more.

17. ClarkC

ClarkC Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Virginia
    Thanks for telling us what we should worry about and not worry about.

I guess you mentioned all these names because you are only worried about our next game? Is Subotic playing in our next game? :rolleyes:

18. ugaaccountant

ugaaccountant New Member

Oct 26, 2003
    Way to miss the point of the thread. What consensus opinion annoited him the saviour of anything? The consensus is clearly invite him to a game or camp and see how he does. We do it all the time with people around his level, so why not him?

19. bshredder

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree.. and I am a big fan of Zak and Millwall

I just think he deserves a shot. It would be good to have him compete against Demerit, Parkhurst, Orozco, and Califf on the depth chart. Maybe he's better than those four, or maybe the other 4 are all better. But it is worth checking out. I personally think he would surprise the doubters.

But that's all by the wayside... Zak's big test is this Saturday against League One co-leaders Scunthorpe on the road.

20. Rainer24

Rainer24 Member

Jan 6, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Do you even bother to read all the posts before extracting one point in my post and reiterating a point that most anyone would agree with? I was simply saying that, yeah, I think he should get a call to a camp, but I think it's ridiculous to claim that he is probably better than any defender in MLS when there is no sort of empirical evidence of that unless you are the sort that thinks have spent time in the academy of one of the big clubs is enough to garner that sort of praise. Really, I don't see that so much as overdoing the praise of Whitbread as completely insulting some of the good young defenders in MLS.

21. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://tribalfootball.com/?q=content/blackburn-seek-trump-west-brom-millwalls-whitbread

this ones not going away, hot off the press. Blackburn and West Brom appear to be the frontrunners. As brought up before, Zak's dad is the chief scout at Blackburn.

West Brom is a higher risk but i think he'd stand a better chance of starting there. He'd supplant Donk i imagine and play alongside Olssen. Blackburn are more secure but he'd have to upend Nelsen, Samba, and Oojier at center back.

22. Rainer24

Rainer24 Member

Jan 6, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was not aware that tribalfootball operated a press.

23. bshredder

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Zak had to be replaced at halftime in today's game against Hereford because he injured his groin. The game was played in brutal conditions with high winds and driving sleet.

Millwall won 1-0 on a late goal in the 87th minute and they are now tied for the top of the league.

I'll keep everyone posted on Zak's injury status.