Zak on loan?

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by firstshirt, Aug 8, 2005.

1. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    found this on another site,,,probably just garbage like half the stuff posted but:

2. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    Would probably be a good thing for Zak, assuming he gets playing time.

3. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta

I vote garbage.

4. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    No way, if that happened and Carra or Hyypia got injured we'd be so ultimately screwed.

5. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    we will know for sure in 15 days;)

6. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta

I suppose there could be a deal in place if Rafa believes he has 2 central defenders coming in...which is why the deal isn't taking place for another 15 days. But, Rafa would be nuts to go into the season with only two central defenders that have ever worked together. I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt by saying he's not nuts and Zak will stay at Liverpool.

7. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Why the 23rd? Does Luton get paid that day?

8. WC2010Champs!

WC2010Champs! New Member

Sep 4, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    Luton in the cola? or 1st? - it would only be a good deal for zak if at least in the cola

9. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    DA COLA

10. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Luton better not have the Astroturf anymore.

11. iansfavouritecopilot

Jun 21, 2002
    Hartlepool, UK
    Isn't Carl Medjani getting opportunities lately? Djimi can go centre too (although with occasional comedic consequences).
    Would 6 months at Luton be better than what he'll likely get where he is?

12. ddw31089

ddw31089 New Member

Jun 14, 2004
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    Looks like Whitbread has been included in the squad for the upcoming qualifier against CSKA Sofia. Keep in mind 2 defenders are out with injuries(Traore and Josemi) and Medjani is on loan.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/headlinenews?id=338437&cc=5901

Still, its quite encouraging though to see him working his way up the depth chart.

But it also makes it more evident that Liverpool badly needs another high quality central defender if they hope to realistically challenge for a top three spot in the league.

13. rorschach

rorschach New Member

Mar 1, 2004
    Kirkwood Atlanta
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Singapore
    This is from football rumours, isn't it? Kinda a clearinghouse of speculation. They also have Whitbread going to Coventry, which would be a nice change from those exciting European nights at Anfield.

http://www.football-rumours.com/dodgy.htm

I think it's just more offseason fodder...

Josemi scares me at back, and Medjani just went back to France on loan.

14. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    question......if Zak manages to win a starting spot in the next two weeks and plays well, does he get called up for the Guat qualifier?

15. ddw31089

ddw31089 New Member

Jun 14, 2004
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    So if he manages to displace Hyypia or Carragher?

He has about as much a chance of doing that as Rossi has of displacing Rooney.

16. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    FYP.

17. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    Medjani is on loan somewhere.

18. Nogra Rover

Nogra Rover New Member

Mar 30, 2000
    Bethesda, MD

That site says "Chris Coleman to take Antii Niemi to Blackburn on a season long deal." How nice!

19. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    Josemi is the worst professional defender I have ever seen in my life.

20. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Mark Hughes will probably be wondering why Chris Coleman is bringing players over to Hughes' team.

21. ghazi

ghazi Member

Feb 27, 2004
    Chicago
    You musta missed the Pellgrino games. :D

Traore is no bed of roses either. It seems everyone wants to remember the ball he saved off the line in Istanbul, other than the remaining 120 minutes and 54 seconds. lol.

22. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    Warren Sapp could beat Josemi in a footrace he is so slow, at least Traore is fast enough to slide tackle the guy/foul him before he scores, and that spin move into the goal was cool. ;)

23. taco jones

taco jones Member

Dec 23, 2003
    Latest comments by Rafa, followed by more conversation about Zak. They sure have alot to say about someone who's played so little. They have almost a Convey-esque obsession with him over there, as half think he's not good enough for the club while the other half stresses that he deserves a chance.

Rafa: "We will try to find a centre back good enough for us, with or without any money from a Baros sale. It's just that if we have more money then it makes things easier. We are working with Zak Whitbread and we are happy with him, but we need another player in that position."

Discussion here: http://www.koptalk.org/forums/showf...0139/page/0/view/collapsed/sb/5/o/o/fpart/all

Oh, the game today vs CSKA begins at around noon Pacific and audio will probably be streaming on BBC radio.

24. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Wow that makes sense. I like this sandwich but I'm looking for a tastier one. What will I do with the older sandwich when I find a tastier one. Give it to somebody else or throw it away.

25. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    That's life with a big club. When you think about it, it really isn't any different than being on the Yankees, Braves or the Red Sox.

Zak himself alluded to the fact earlier in the year when he said that there was no shame in being a back-up in EPL. It still pays rather handsomely and you can continue to improve yourself being around the world-class players. Just in practice, he must be going head-to-head vs. Morientes, Barros, Crouch, Cisse, Kewell, Garcia, et al. That experience alone is hard to replace.