New Zack City: Steffen at Middlesbrough (olf Manchester City)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Chance, Dec 8, 2014.

1. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    The wish is father to the rumor.

2. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Steffen can stay healthy then he could be brilliant for Schalke. Love it.

3. Higher Learning

Jul 1, 2009
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Both BVB's and Schalke 04's goalkeeping situations are exploitable. Though Schalke 04's path to a starting job strikes me as at least being a little more straightforward.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  6. WheezingUSASupport

Dortmund
    United States
    Aug 28, 2017
    Only if he gets that #1 spot.

7. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    Sounds like this is saying Schalke have identified Steffen and Norwich City's Tim Krul as possible replacements for Nubel, that Schalke might take Steffen on loan, because they're unwilling to pay a substantial sum for a goalkeeper, and that the two holdups are that Dusseldorf are trying to keep him for another season, and that Manchester City might need him if Ederson departs because of the European ban.

mace, Deeneaus and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  8. Deeneaus

Deeneaus Member+

Aug 29, 2007
    America/Deutschland
    Club:
    Arminia Bielefeld
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting article. I see that KALM already hit on most of the tidbits regarding Steffen. I'll only add that the article implied that Schalke was initially hinting that they felt they had capable keepers already in house with Schubert (who actually replaced the benched Nübel) and Fährmann (who is going on loan for the rest of the season).

TimB4Last and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  9. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009

10. HockeytownHeel

HockeytownHeel Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    Jul 23, 2018
    will sitting on a bench really do him favors?

WheezingUSASupport and largegarlic repped this.
  11. largegarlic

largegarlic Member+

Jul 2, 2007
    Yeah, that's the million dollar question. Maybe someone who follows City more closely can say more about how they tend to use their backup, but looking at Transfermarkt, Bravo played 16 games this year, 4 in the league and 12 in various cups (including 2 in UCL)...which doesn't seem like a horrible situation as far as being a backup goes. But maybe there will be less opportunity if their UCL ban stays in place.

I'd still favor him going to a mid-tier Bundesliga/EPL club as the presumptive starter, but I doubt anyone offers City enough money to change their mind if they've already decided he's their backup.

UniversalAdvice and Winoman repped this.
  12. felloveranddidanadu

Plymouth Argyle FC
    Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Frogs
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Crazy, because teams and leagues may have to give up cup competitions so on a big team like City, there may actually be fewer games to go around

Winoman repped this.
  13. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Steffen's in a relatively good spot right now, resting his knee and making bank. A season at City - training at a high level but playing only occasionally - wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

14. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But not as good as a season establishing himself as the #1 at good (by historical standards) BL club like Dortmund or Schalke. Anyway, not our call.

15. Sufjan Guzan

Sufjan Guzan Member+

Feb 13, 2016
    Could be posturing on City's part to get a really favorable loan deal, knowing he is in demand in the Bundesliga.

But it could be with all the stop in play, City don't really have time to scout for a backup. Sometimes clubs really like to see how someone is playing the last three months before a deal.

Who knows though? There are worst places for him to land. Pretty meteoric rise for the kid.

16. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    His passing and touch will improve at least

17. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    I suspect it is posturing.

I mean, I don't doubt that they see Steffen as a backup next year but I also know backups are easy to get and if they can make some coin by flipping him this summer, the more they seem to want him, the more coin they can make.

18. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    That’s the way I am leaning as well. In any case,
    not bad for Zack

19. Sufjan Guzan

Sufjan Guzan Member+

Feb 13, 2016
    15-21 Million Euros to Dortmund/Schalke sounds about right

20. kba4life1

kba4life1 Member+

Jul 14, 2010
    Irvine, CA
    Gacm32, Deeneaus, TimB4Last and 2 others repped this.
  21. largegarlic

largegarlic Member+

Jul 2, 2007
    The other thing I've noticed is that when he plays with Duesseldorf, they want to play out of the back, but they're also pragmatic and seemingly given license to just hoof it when things get dicey. With the USMNT, it seems like Steffen is under strict orders to NEVER just hoof it, which leads to a keeper trying to squeeze passes into covered players like he's a #10, with predictable results.

22. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A year training and improving on how, when and where to pass out of the back with the master of that wouldn't be so bad. After that he'd need to start somewhere again.

23. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Here's to new beginnings!