New Zack City: Steffen at Middlesbrough (olf Manchester City)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Chance, Dec 8, 2014.

1. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    If you've ever been there you'd know it has always been thus.

2. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    My bad - I only saw the video on my phone. Didn't see the game summary.

Streaky Bacon and TimB4Last repped this.
  3. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    My general sense is that the #2 GK's at big clubs like Man City tend to be players who were brought in to at least actively compete for the #1 position, or players with a good deal of experience already in the big leagues. Steffen in my mind doesn't really fit into either of those categories, so I have trouble seeing this.

largegarlic and WheezingUSASupport repped this.
  4. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    It would be awful. Nothing good will come of Steffen sitting on Man City's bench all year and playing 4 Carabao Cup matches at age 25 unless some outrageous scenario takes place where Ederson gets hurt and Steffen comes in and steals his #1 spot away.

5. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Being no.2 at one of the top 5 biggest clubs in the world ain't too shabby. Hard to turn down the $$. I'd figure Steffen realizes he has very little opportunities for being the no.1 for City. He's using them as they're using him :cool:
    I wonder if they might loan him to a PL club next season or keep him in the Bundesliga.

6. mace

mace Member+

Indy 11
    United States
    Jun 5, 2004
    USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Late to the party here... but I'd interpret those ratings as:

Im Weiteren Kreis = Potential Breakthrough Player (or someone who has been performing well and the odds of future stardom look good)

Blickfeld = Ones to Watch

I'm a fluent German speaker, so this is just my interpretation (not a translation).

Anyhoo.. good for Zach to be on the radar! He's definitely been on a good trajectory in the Hinrunde, even if there were a couple bloopers.

Winoman and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  7. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    what's the news on the former no.1 at the club? did he ever return from injury?

8. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    Miichael Rensing? He played the second half in their most recent friendly against Twente.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  9. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Yeah that's the one.

10. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    Kicker says that Steffen is still the clear #1 but that Rensing will now put some pressure on him and push him to play better.

https://www.kicker.de/766654/artikel/rensing_geniesst_es_wieder_mittendrin_zu_sein

Fortuna Düsseldorf traveled to the training camp in Spain with six goalkeepers, with Zack Steffen as clear number 1, and soon Rensing will take the place on the bench instead of the young Florian Kastenmeier.

. . .

Rensing immediately stressed that he would not make any claims, but of course, regular goalkeeper Steffen will now feel a different pressure than before; this should also push the US national keeper additionally.

Rensing enjoys being right in the middle again, even though his place will initially be on the bench against Werder Bremen in eight days from the start of the second [half of the season] on Saturday.

ChicagoVT, LouisianaViking07/09 and mace repped this.
  11. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    So it was Rensing who came out too early/hard on the Twente goal?

12. mace

mace Member+

Indy 11
    United States
    Jun 5, 2004
    USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rensing also stated he won't be barreling down mountains on a bike anymore.

ChicagoVT repped this.
  13. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Yep. And if he was mediocre at his peak, now he must be dismal.

14. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    wasn't he starting for Dusseldorf for a few years?

15. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Yes, he got 100 games with them in the second division, but only three the season they got promoted. Then he played nearly all their games for the 18/19 season where they finished 10th (although they were 14th in goals conceded, but Lukebakio, Raman and Hennings had a good season, so they also scored a lot.

16. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Thanks.
    I guess I'm always of the idea that certain players can't be all that bad if they weren't replaced but that probably says more about a club's finances and capabilities and them having to reluctantly rely on a certain player.

17. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Well, mediocre means "average." I consider Steffen above that. And I expect a 35 year old Rensing to be below his peak, that is, below mediocre.

18. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Glad it wasn't Steffen - I only saw a crap phone-fan style video on my phone, but the keeper's move did strike me as a bit tentative/slow to react. (In the way that only an soccer genius like me can discern from the movement of a 1/4 inch high figure on a phone that I didn't even notice wasn't Steffen.)

But I'm clever like that... will be interesting to see if Steffen gets any bench time at all now to see how Rensing does in top flite games.

TimB4Last repped this.
  19. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LouisianaViking07/09 and Winoman repped this.
  20. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    He better doesn't let them score more than once because the German has right of way...

21. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    #1147 Suyuntuy, Jan 10, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2020
    Just conceded a third. He's giving them the excuse to start Rensing in league games.

PS: Actually the third was against Kastenmeier, Zack came out at the half and only conceded twice. 2-2 when he came out.

23. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    jnielsen and autobus39 repped this.
  24. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    Looks like a knee injury that he's apparently been struggling with for the past month or so.

jnielsen repped this.
  25. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    https://www.express.de/sport/fussba...in-junger-keeper-soll-fortuna-retten-33760708

Head coach Friedhelm Funkel (66) confirmed EXPRESS the setback on Saturday morning: “Zack Steffen has pain in the patellar tendon, unfortunately he cannot play. We hope it doesn't take long.

Earlier in the article it explains that he's been struggling with this for a while now:

But at the end of the second half of the season, the United States goalkeeper struggled.

Now Fortuna's head coach Friedhelm Funkel (66) revealed why: "In the past few weeks he has had a few games where he didn't hold up so well because he was too busy with his knee."

What's wrong with the keeper? "He always has knee problems. Zack has an inflammation of the patellar tendon. Then he stays calm for a few days, then it is better again. But we don't get it under control so that he is carefree for months. ”

"Steffen is number one when he is healthy". says Sparkle.