Zack Shiposh at FSV Erlangen-Bruck

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Academy' started by prowazekii, Jun 7, 2011.

1. prowazekii

prowazekii Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    American Zack Shiposh is the subject of a 5 part series of articles at TDS.

Part 1: http://www.topdrawersoccer.com/club...nid-19940/American-System-Part-I-Is-it-Broken

Part 2: http://www.topdrawersoccer.com/club...d-19944/American-System-Part-II-The-Egg-Drill

He is a midfielder and is currently on the roster for Braunschweig's U-19 team.

http://www.ft-braunschweig.de/ftb-jugend/index.php?freieturner=spieler-a19&ch_nav_eb3=spieler-a19

He is a '93 and is apparently signed through June 2012

http://www.transfermarkt.de/de/zack-shiposh/profil/spieler_185075.html

Testudo repped this.
  2. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
    Awesome, that's my second favorite club :D.

I grew up a 10 minute walk away from their stadium, in school we had PE class at FT-Stadium.

I doubt he's actually "signed", though - FTB are a (high level) amateur team, but they don't pay salaries.

3. rhrh

rhrh Member

Mar 5, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    He has been a "phenom" in his mom's mind apparently for years, and she's been seriously marketing him through articles in local papers.

You have to laugh when you read some of the quotes in the articles "the ref said "that kid's going somewhere".

My kid has been recruited by the opposition in half the games he plays in. Yet I don't think trying to get an article written about him is the best way to promote his skills.

4. arsenalfc08

arsenalfc08 Member

Mar 14, 2005
  5. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
    If someone knows the guy, ask him if he owns a Landon Donovan US jersey, if he does we've met :D. There's a relatively good chance that he goes to my old high school too, it's the nearest school to FTB's stadium and training grounds, and we regularily had American exchange students.

Anyway, two slight corrections - FTB's senior team plays in the 6th division (they were relegated last season, although they had played in the 5th division for about a decade before - still, when he came to Germany they already were relegated) [and aren't pro, as mentioned before], and the youth pyramid in Braunschweig county has 9 levels (I guess everyone here knows my tendency to nitpick already, so I might as well go with it :p).

More central to the article: the youth system here isn't exactly as cut throaty as he describes it. They can't release players at any moment, and usually they don't. I assume he didn't sign a youth contract at Eintracht - given that a) they can't simply send someone away who has a contract and b) it seems he didn't get a playing permit until he joined FTB. The more likely scenario seems to be that he had his trial, the club expressed interest, but after the coach of the U-19 team was fired before the winter break changed their mind later.

At his current club, youth soccer isn't really a business. Sure, they play at a high amateur level and are serious about it - but they are an amateur club after all. They don't sell players, and their first team doesn't bring in the big bucks either.

6. midsouthsoccer

Mar 3, 2011
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just curious, how much self promotion goes on in youth soccer today? Is 'promoting' your kid a big part of youth soccer for most folks or only a few?

7. prowazekii

prowazekii Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here is part 5. Its mostly a long disclaimer regarding their intentions

8. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
  9. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
    Yeah, he's still here. Scored twice last week against MTV Gifhorn.

As I said here, or in another thread on him (there are 3, I think :D), it's extremely unlikely that he has an actual contract. Edit: was in this thread :p

10. prowazekii

prowazekii Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
    He also played 2 games (1 goal) for the first team. Season won't restart until March.

12. prowazekii

prowazekii Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
    I hope FTB get promoted to the Oberliga this year - they seem to have an almost Greuther Fürthesque aversion against getting promoted lately.

14. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
    He made his second game of the season this week, so I thought I might as well post an update. Shiposh has two appearances as a late game sub so far, the club is currently leading the league after 6 matchdays.

And FWIW, a few weeks ago I actually created the English language wikipedia article for the club:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FT_Braunschweig

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  15. rhrh

rhrh Member

Mar 5, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    For us, my son will be playing college soccer or semi-pro soccer in college. He loves soccer, but does not want to give up his education at this point. Most top schools allow a one-year deferral in enrollment, so that is a serious option for him if through his club coaches he gets a fabulous opportunity - such as training in Barcelona next year with the club (if we can raise the money from relatives).

FWIW, my kid will be going to a Philadelphia Union/college combine in the next week, I understand that this Shiposh kid (adult now I guess) was at the Phila. Union academy and apparently was unhappy with being ranked in the top five in a "non-soccer" country.

I stress to my kid that at age 15, he does have to realize that going to college for four years, from 18 to 22, could mean he could never have a pro career. That's the decision a 15/16 year old kid has to make. Perhaps he was much luckier than Mr. Shiposh that he has had teammates since age 7 who kick the ball around daily, and parents who take him to fields to practice shooting as much as he wants.

And frankly, the "Part 5" disclaimer seems to say "don't knock it if you don't try it" - we are of some means, but we have NO international connections, NO money for overseas trips for our middle schooler or young high schooler. It smacks of the problem with US soccer - it is a rich person's sport in this country. As noted above, if my son does get a chance to go to Barcelona's academy with his club (not official trials but may lead to one "as they say"), I will have to beg money off of relatives.

I also find it sad that Shiposh did not get exposure to coaches who have been educated in Brazil, Spain, Italy, Netherlands, as in my area near NYC there are many coaches who have. Not only were they educated there, and got their coaching licenses overseas, but several of them in my son's current club go YEARLY to get MORE training and keep bringing back the beautiful game to the US. These coaches give homework, stress touches over wins and losses, and push possession over kick and run.

The tragedy is that the academy system is NOT improving soccer in the US, it is still hit and miss and only a very few really become soccer players, the rest go to college and relish the kick and run smashmouth soccer that unfortunately we have become famous for.

16. rhrh

rhrh Member

Mar 5, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    And sorry, but a stupid question.

How would this club compare to a semi-pro or amateur club in the US?

My husband plays for an amateur club, but more than half of the players are late 20's early 30's and have played semi-pro previously, which would include getting paid for travel, expenses, and a meager salary (had to hold down a real job as well).

I also would wonder how this club would compare to Maryland and Akron college teams - and would find it rather interesting to see matchups between European U19 or so teams vs. US top college teams.

17. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
    I fear no one here will be able to answer this, unless Zack's lurking here. I mean, while I grew up next to FTB's stadium I don't have much knowledge about college football in Akron or US amateur leagues I fear ;), while does who do probably don't attend many amateur games in Germany.

For what its worth, the club is the second best amateur team in a metro area of 1.2 million people (best would be ULM Wolfsburg, who play one division above at the moment). Generally players at that level don't aim for pro careers - cases like Miroslav Klose who went that road are rare to say the least. Players from FTB regularily join Eintracht Braunschweig's reserves, also someone like Marc Pfitzner, who is now a first team player in the 2. Bundesliga, are again exceptions. There are some ex-Regionalliga players in the league (none on FTB's roster though), although the most prominent player in the league is ex-2. Bundesliga player Kosta Rodrigues, who played well over 200 games for Eintracht Braunschweig's first team.

18. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
    Shiposh with his first start and first goal of the season yesterday, he scored the final goal in a 4-1 win over Eintracht Wolfsburg. FTB now have a six points lead at the top, the first placed team gains automatic promotion to the Oberliga. My dad's old club Acosta Braunschweig is on a relegation spot, on the other hand :(, but that's not all that YA related :D.

19. drewuke

drewuke Member+

Jul 19, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    This dude used to go my school, we knew he was going to be big. Sounds like he's doing well in Germany, I actually saw him outside of my school a few weeks ago. I guess he was visiting his old team, haha.

20. rhrh

rhrh Member

Mar 5, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    I am always confused about whether players who get into their 20s and are still in the lower divisions can move out and up to the premier leagues. This guy was on the U14 BNT and has not been called up since, as far as I can tell. Can he truly suddenly break out and become a superstar, and the player the US has always wanted? Or is the U19 team of a 5th division German club supposed to be what our kids are aspiring to?

And does anyone know how this club, let's say their pro team, compares to MLS, USL PRO, and NASL? Is it really better to play in Germany, at all, than play on a USL PRO team?

21. Zak1FCK

Zak1FCK Member+

Aug 23, 2005
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    FC Kaiserslautern
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He is living in another country playing soccer. Who cares? It is not always about National Team play.

22. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
    The club has no pro team, and the chances that Shiposh will ever play for the national team are very, very small. Currently he isn't a regular in the 6th division - and looking at it realistically, making it as a professional player is quite unlikely at such a point. But as Zak1FCK said, that's not really the point anyway.

I suppose he is either going to finish German high school this spring or already going to university here by now (I have no information on this, just a guess based on his age and him still being here in 2013 ).

23. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
    Newspaper article on Shiposh from earlier this month:

http://www.braunschweiger-zeitung.d...alent-kaempft-fuer-seinentraum-id1006709.html

My translation, forgive the typos:
    Freie Turner are back in first place with two games to go, league champions are promoted to the Oberliga. Shiposh has been a regular recently. He was singled out for his good performance in a recent 7-1 win over Grone.
    http://www.braunschweiger-zeitung.d...t-mit-schuss-in-ronaldo-manier-id1001576.html
    He scored from a free kick, which he described himself as "C. Ronaldo-esque" after the game :D.

24. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
    Yessssssssssss!

FTB win 2-1 at promotion rivals Eintracht Northeim and secured the championship, and promotion to the Oberliga.

Shiposh came in in the 60th minute, when the score was already 2-1.

25. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
    Shiposh won't be playing for the team next season, though - he is going to the University of Nuremberg for his studies.