zach whitbread???

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by dchang44, Aug 13, 2003.

1. dchang44

dchang44 Member

Mar 27, 2003
    Portland
    Club:
    Portland MLS
    who is this guy? it says here:

http://ussoccerplayers.com/exclusives/378484.html

that zach whitbread will be starting for liverpool's first team and that he's american.

how come i've never heard of him before? any chance he can become involved with the USMNT???

2. BillP

BillP Member

Jan 20, 1999
    This issue has been discussed before. He has US Citizenship, but doesn't want to be called in as he seems to want to be capped by England instead.

3. The Dog

The Dog New Member

Jun 3, 2002
    Georgia
    He's just been concentrating on his pro career and will play for the U20 team: http://www.topdrawersoccer.com/NationalTeams/20030814191040/view

4. dcufan1984

dcufan1984 Member

Feb 17, 2002
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    that is HUGE news. this kid is very good and will probably get some play at anfield this season.

5. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    He has been playing in the middle or on the left at the back.

He has featured briefly in two of Liverpool's pre-season matches, but I would doubt he would break into the first team just yet.

However, Liverpool are a little thin in both the left back and centre back positions so you never know.

He stated he wanted to get into the full squad before committing to anything internationally. Now that he is in and has a number assigned to him, he is going to join the Rongen squad, looks like a commitment to me.

I would think he will be a first choice Liverpool reserve player which is actually a very high standard of football.

Learning from the likes of Henchoz, Hyypia, not to mention Phil Thompson (Reds assistant coach) will surely be a boost too.

6. dcufan1984

dcufan1984 Member

Feb 17, 2002
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    agreed...

and he will probably see cup action or get loaned out to a d1 squad this season. he has also been praised publicly numerous times by the front office in liverpool and is considered a major prospect.

7. drew_VT_6

drew_VT_6 Member

Feb 22, 2000
    Orange County, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is it just me or did I read of Barry Whitbread being the head of Liverpool's academy? Any relation?

8. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Holding out internationally untill now was probably the best choice for Whitbread. I really think it would of been hard for him to make LFC's 1st team if he had been missing training due to international play. However, I'm elated to see him committ to the US. It kinda of gives me chills to think about all these exciting young players we have. I really invision the US winning a World Cup in 8 years or so.

9. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I doubt that he will be loaned out. Liverpool talk like he will play this season, if only in place of injuries or cup ties. In any case, we'll know within the next couple of weeks.

10. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Zak's father.... but he did not get into Liverpool because of his father. It seemed it was the other way around(it is hard to believe, right?).

11. dcufan1984

dcufan1984 Member

Feb 17, 2002
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    exactly. he's no kenny arena *evil dcu laugh*.