Zac MacMath to Everton?

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Jul 30, 2010.

1. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chris Woods, the US GK coach, has the same role at Everton. I would assume it has more to do with him than Moyes. Although, Moyes is obviously very familiar with American players.

2. prowazekii

prowazekii Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With Howard’s deputy Jan Mucha out of contract at the end of the season, former Arsenal keeper Alex Manninger, ex-Celtic No.1 Artur Boruc, the Philadelphia Union’s Zac MacMath and Egyptian Adam Mansour are among those to be given a trial in recent weeks as Everton look to bring in someone who will push the 33-year-old American harder.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...David-Moyes-wants-new-goalkeeper-Everton.html

3. derek750

derek750 Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I watched him all season and I'd say Zac is a long way from being able to push Tim Howard. His distribution certainly looks like Howard's though (not a compliment). Some Union fans even want a veteran keeper brought in to push MacMath next season. He's still very young, of course, and has time to develop. It just won't happen in the EPL any time soon.

4. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    The headline is of a dubious value. Tim will let in soft goals now and again but Everton will either bring in a clear replacement or a clear backup. The club has no money for a high quality rotation.

5. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Before somebody says it..........................I believe Zac MacMath can get a Euro passport thru his father.

He's trained at Everton several times, even dating back to when he was at Maryland I believe.

http://www.yanks-abroad.com/content.php?mode=show&id=6727

And he's made no bones about the fact that he'd like to go to Europe some day.

6. MHaifa1913

MHaifa1913 Moderator
    Staff Member

Metro
    United States
    Dec 21, 1998
    New York, NY, USA
    Club:
    Maccabi Haifa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am surprised that the talk of the last two months has flown under the radar. MacMath has received interest from three clubs in Israel (at least three that I know of). Word is that Maccabi Haifa was sorting out a loan with an option to buy while waiting to see if current starter, Vladimir Stojković, would be returning to the club. The other potential suiters are Hapoel Tel Aviv and Maccabi Tel Aviv. Maccabi is just the usual nonsense of buying the player and then see if they even need them ala Tomer Chencinski.

bballshawn and Winoman repped this.
  7. MHaifa1913

MHaifa1913 Moderator
    Staff Member

Metro
    United States
    Dec 21, 1998
    New York, NY, USA
    Club:
    Maccabi Haifa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. lime

lime Member

May 18, 2016
    sort of fitting that we talk about MacMath leaving the Rapids in an old "MacMath to Everton" thread though.

9. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    is he planning to leave? Howard is the legit starter at Rapids

10. MHaifa1913

MHaifa1913 Moderator
    Staff Member

Metro
    United States
    Dec 21, 1998
    New York, NY, USA
    Club:
    Maccabi Haifa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think at this stage, he needs experience if he is ever going to reach the potential people saw in him when he was younger. This is why he left Philadelphia in the first place, no?

11. lime

lime Member

May 18, 2016
    obviously, the Rapids aren't bringing in Howard to sit on the bench, and in a vacuum Howard is better, but I'm not convinced "legit" is the best phrase, changing up a defense that has only allowed 11 goals in 16 matches is crazy to me.

12. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Perhaps they will loan MacMath

13. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    How many foreign players are allowed in the Israeli league?

14. MHaifa1913

MHaifa1913 Moderator
    Staff Member

Metro
    United States
    Dec 21, 1998
    New York, NY, USA
    Club:
    Maccabi Haifa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This season it is six. But MacMath would qualify for citizenship as he is Jewish. He was in the Maccabiah squad years ago for the US.

15. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Gotcha (the McThing had me fooled).

16. MHaifa1913

MHaifa1913 Moderator
    Staff Member

Metro
    United States
    Dec 21, 1998
    New York, NY, USA
    Club:
    Maccabi Haifa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Same here. I guess similar when you hear Bornstein is half Mexican

lime repped this.
  18. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Would hope he has more interest than simply the Israeli league though joining 1 of the top teams in the country that plays in the CL isn't terrible. We need him, Crooper, Horvath and Hamid all playing in either top leagues or at least the biggest clubs in the mid-tier leagues

19. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He got screwed. One thing to lose your starting spot due to poor performances or outworked. He was the victim of a roster move that was purely for marketing. This isn't Howard's fault, taking that money at his age is smart. MLS wanted Howard, even if he is declining. Marketing sometimes is more important than quality when MLS negotiates transfers. We all know this.

adi21 and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  20. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What I've seen from McMath over the years is that he is good for one goal a game due to mental errors. Not sure if he's gotten over that.

21. beamish

beamish Member+

Jul 6, 2009
    He's 24. If you've been watching him for a long time, you may want to cut him some slack for the early years.

adi21 and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  22. lime

lime Member

May 18, 2016
    he was allowing less than a goal per game overall this year.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  23. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Get this fella a move to Europe :D

24. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm willing to cut some slack, but nobody has said he's cut the mental mistakes out of his game

25. MHaifa1913

MHaifa1913 Moderator
    Staff Member

Metro
    United States
    Dec 21, 1998
    New York, NY, USA
    Club:
    Maccabi Haifa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sadly, I think he had some highlight reel blunders over the last few seasons. He'll need to cut that out fast because you lose your spot real fast in Israel. They don't give players any time to aclimate (sometimes to the detriment of the club itself). A good example is Portugal midfielder Adrien Silva. He had six games at Maccabi Haifa and was then shipped back to Portugal. Worked out better for him since he has had a great domestic career and is now in the national team. But proves that patience is not something the Israeli clubs have.

Winoman repped this.