Zac Lubin trial with IFK Luleå

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Academy' started by iamalfred, Jan 16, 2014.

1. iamalfred

iamalfred Member+

Aug 15, 2010
    Third tier swedish club IFK Luleå (home of fellow american Kevin Garcia) wrote on their Facebook today that they are bringing in american keeper Zac Lubin on trial this week. Apparantly IFK Luleå are going to play a preseason game against an american team called PSC on February 2nd and he was supposed to arrive with them but now they are bringing him in early to have a look at him before the rest of the american team arrives.

2. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
  3. Jedda

Jedda Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Boden, Sweden
    Yes, it's them and we in Boden is also playing one game against them. They were in Örebro last year I think, this time their base will be in Luleå but I think they will go both to Finland and Stockholm to play games as I saw that they will play against AIK and Djurgården aswell as Kemi from Finland. Both Boden and IFK Luleå has pretty good connections with PSC, which is how Matt Sanner for example ended up in Boden and I believe Kevin Garcia came the same way to Luleå.

4. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    The trial seems to have gone well:

After playing for little to no money in the Premier Development League for three years, Zac Lubin finally signed a professional contract Tuesday. The goalkeeper from Bozeman, Mont., is expected to start for IFK Luleå in the Swedish third tier in 2014.
    http://www.soccerwire.com/news/glob...n-signs-with-ifk-lulea-in-swedish-division-1/

I assume he will still be playing for little, but perhaps not no, money in Luleå. What kind of salary and benefits might a third-division starting GK expect?

5. iamalfred

iamalfred Member+

Aug 15, 2010
    From my memory, and without looking it up again, I think the rule is that you have to pay a foreign player (not sure if non-EU matters) something like the equivalent of $25-30k a year to be able to get a work permit. My guess would be that he will be getting paid exactly whatever that minimum is.

6. Jedda

Jedda Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Boden, Sweden
    #6 Jedda, Feb 20, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2014
    Zac has signed with IFK Luleå for this season now. Boden and Luleå face eachother in a friendly on March 8th, so then the Bozeman guys Zac Lubin and Eddy Prugh will play against eachother :)

And I honestly have no clue what they're paying him, but just like iamalfred says I'm guessing they're close to what the minimum (which probably isn't just all cash either, as I think you can deduct things like cost for food, car, apartment) is as IFK Luleå is a club that has been struggling quite alot financially for a while. He's for sure not going to Luleå for the money, I can promise you that, but it's a good experience and he'll have some eyes on him when they play away. Luleå signed one of the best players from Boden in the off-season, but the deal hasn't gone through yet as the clubs hasn't agreed financially so Luleå is trying to get away as cheap as they can :)

http://goalwa.wordpress.com/2014/02...goalkeeper-zac-lubin-signs-with-swedish-club/

Tom Collingsworth and Testudo repped this.
  7. iamalfred

iamalfred Member+

Aug 15, 2010
    Accoring to the local Luleå paper Lubin is currently trialing with irish club Cork City. There also appears to be some interest from another irish club, Shamrock Rovers.

Testudo repped this.
  8. Testudo

Testudo Member+

Jan 29, 1999
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    bungadiri repped this.
  9. gufcfan

gufcfan Member

Jun 3, 2014
    Club:
    Galway United
    Started in goal for Galway United in a friendly v Finn Harps tonight.

soccersubjectively repped this.
  10. DC_Dave

DC_Dave Member+

DC United
    United States
    May 16, 2017
    This seems like an old thread but the search only show's this thread....

Zac Lubin, has signed a contract extension with Ljungskile until the end of the season - which is great news for him and the team - he has had an excellent season so far

soccersubjectively and Winoman repped this.
  11. DC_Dave

DC_Dave Member+

DC United
    United States
    May 16, 2017
    Zac is now out of contract /and released by Ljungskile - who knows after a good last campaign, maybe they will pick him up again ??? - but for now he is a free agent

soccersubjectively repped this.
  12. DC_Dave

DC_Dave Member+

DC United
    United States
    May 16, 2017
    Zac has signed with Phoenix Rising in USL