Yura M to Randers (Yank abroad?) [R]

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by supercooper, Jul 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KennyWoo

KennyWoo Member

May 21, 2007
    Pasadena, California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Doesn't everyone have the "potential" for U.S. citizenship?

2. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    He has a My Space page.

Wife's name is Maryanne.

3. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Techincally... yes.

But yea, if he chooses Armenia then close this thread. There is no use to follow him if he already chose another path. Same goes with all the kids having this dilemma. The argentines come to mind, and once they get their first full cap, we should stop making threads about these kids.

4. prowazekii

prowazekii Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The key here is that Yura is not a US citizen and therefore not a YA. A bit of an exception was made to allow this thread because people were interested in him because of his years in MLS and his expressed interest in someday playing for the USMNT.
    I'm sorry I started this line of discussion, but I just feel that maybe it is a lesson that we shouldn't make exceptions and only allow "official" YAs in this forum. Just my opinion and will abide by the majority and/or the decision of the powers that be (DK, FQ, Bungadiri, Huss, et al). :)

5. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This post made me bite the head off a live bat.

6. SoccerKowboy

SoccerKowboy BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 13, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Someone's going off the rails on a crazy train.

7. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ozzie!!! I knew it was you!!!

8. minya

minya Member

Mar 27, 2008
    san diego, ca
    And Yura never lived in Armenia nor Subotic in Serbia by the way. Feelings, shmeelings. Armenia is playing Russia in qualifiers. Russia is the most overpaid league in the world. Yura speaks Russian and lived there. That's all about business.

9. ForZaAaB

ForZaAaB Member

Mar 24, 2009
    Club:
    Aalborg BK
    Yura has told the local newspaper the following:

"I have always been very interested in Armenian soccer and the Armenian national team; after having talked with Ruben Hayrapetyan (Precident of the Armenian soccer federation) I decided that I want to play for my country."

He should get his first cap tonight against Iran...

The article (in Danish)

10. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No worries. It's not an unreasonable question to have asked. You're right about the potential confusion and we'll have to deal with that one way or another when it comes to a head. It's not causing a problem right now, though.

11. vponce75

vponce75 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 16, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And my interest in Yura is over. I wish him good luck on his club and international career...

12. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Same. God why would he do such a thing??? He is married to a american.... why not persue USA? Is he really that impatient?

13. arsenalfc08

arsenalfc08 Member

Mar 14, 2005
    What if he isn't good enough after waiting 3 years? Although I think Armenia will still be around in 3 years as well.

14. Aaryque

Aaryque Member

Apr 26, 2007
    Norcal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe he feels a stronger connection to his home country and wants to represent them regardless of his eligibility for the US. Is that really so hard to believe?

15. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Exactly. thank you for countering yourself. :p

Well... his past statements said different. I guess somehow he got a change of heart.

16. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Not a surprise. It's happened before (Bakary Soumare)...........and will happen again.

3-4 years is a hell of a long time to wait while there are other national teams knocking on your door. Movsisyan could get injured waiting for his US citizenship to come thru and lose the opportunity to play at the international level. And there's zero garauntee that in 3 years, Movsisyan would still be wanted by the USMNT. Quite a gamble to take.

Yura made the correct decision. It's one thing if you're 17 years old like Andy Najar......and quite another if you're 23. Imagine you're a 23 year old with international opportunities, and you're other option is to wait until you're 27 for the possibility of playing international football. You'd be sitting on the sidelines during your prime. Not worth it. Sorry. Football careers are too short to have that kind of patience.

17. wcssstar33

wcssstar33 Member

Aug 28, 2008
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Armenia will STILL suck at soccer in three years.

18. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Even if he never played for the US, he's always have Armenia to fall back on.

Also , given his form recently, I hear many clubs are looking at him in better leagues then the danish league (thats the league he is in right?). I wouldnt be surprised if a bundesliga club comes and snatches him up.

19. pirozhok

pirozhok Member+

United States
    Jul 20, 2007
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Till he played official game he is not capped, Armenia starts Euro 2012 qualifying on Sept 3rd, if he plays there, he's gone.
    He made a pure business decision as all professionals usually do, it was not about where his heart belongs to. If he had a chance to select to play for Honduras or Romania he would do that in a heartbeat.

20. supercooper

supercooper Red Card

Jun 23, 2008
    Armenia got beat 3-1 at home today to Iran. Can't tell if Yura played.
    Can he still switch back if he plays in the Euro competition in September?

yes, Yura must be really have the itch to play now, or passion to play for his country. There is a hardly a scenario in which the Armenia national team will qualify for Euros or World Cup. Not one of their players plays in a major league, and they are the weak sister of a weak part of Euro-Asia.

US= almost automatic world cup qualifier
    Armenia= almost no chance at euros or world cup

21. prowazekii

prowazekii Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. pirozhok

pirozhok Member+

United States
    Jul 20, 2007
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. OleGunnar20

OleGunnar20 Member+

Dec 7, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rX7wtNOkuHo"]YouTube- ‪Nelson‬‎[/ame]

24. pirozhok

pirozhok Member+

United States
    Jul 20, 2007
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, i found info on Armenian soccer forum - Yura played 15 minutes today, and Armenians believe he was capped:

Correct me if i'm wrong, but i thought friendlies don't count (Jermaine Jones played 3 friendlies for Germany NT and then switched to USA).

25. OleGunnar20

OleGunnar20 Member+

Dec 7, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

the difference is when he got his first cap in a friendly for Germany he was already a US citizen and eligible for the USMNT. once you are capped for a NT you are no longer eligible for any other national team that you weren't eligible for at the time of being capped. as far as i understand it the "capped in an A international" (ie a match that matters) only comes into things if you are eligible for more than one team at the time of your first cap (of any kind). until you play in an A international you are still eligible to make a "one time switch" tor any teams you were eligible for at the time of your first cap of any kind.

so basically if you are a player and currently eligible for Country A, Country B and Country C and chose to play a friendly for Country A you can still switch (one time) to either Country B or Country C right up until the point you play in an "A international match" for Country A.

if you are a player who is eligible for Country A and Country B but not currently eligible for Country C (as in you could be a citizen and eligible but haven't finished the process yet) and you chose to play a friendly for Country A you may still switch "one time" to Country B up until you play an A International Match for Country A but you can NEVER play for Country C because you, by virtue of playing for one team before you secured your full eligibility for another, have lost all eligibility to play for Country C.

that is how i understand Article 18 of FIFAs regulations on player eligibility for National Team participation.