Yunus Musah at AC Milan

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Jun 19, 2019.

1. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    CyphaPSU and tomásbernal repped this.
  2. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    CyphaPSU, Gacm32, Dizi and 2 others repped this.
  3. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    ChicagoVT, Namdynamo, wsmaugham and 6 others repped this.
  4. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    Only preseason I know... but holy moly this kid is something really special.

5. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    He's going to break the Yank transfer fee record

EDIT

Depending on who gets sold first between him and Gio

6. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Who do you peg as his suitor?

7. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    PSG, Madrid (either), Barca, City, Cheslea, Liverpool, Utd

Eighteen Alpha, twoolley and Dizi repped this.
  8. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    Not to do player comparisons... sorry for the rabbit hole, but he does have that Michael Essien vibe to him, it's uncanny.

keller4president and Jazzy Altidore repped this.
  9. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Between Musah, Gio and Tillman we are looking at some high ceilings for young YAs. Pretty sic.

10. largegarlic

largegarlic Member+

Jul 2, 2007
    I don't know. I really like Musah, but it's hard to see him beating Pulisic's transfer amount if he doesn't add actual goals and assists to his game. Are there any recent transfers higher than Pulisic's of very good two-way CMs who don't show up on the scoresheet much?

CyphaPSU repped this.
  11. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think people (including myself) are speculating that this will be a big year for him because it looks like he will finally play the position he was meant to play. I fully expect him to set career highs in goals/assists this season.... but I agree. It would take quite a season or two to surpass CPs transfer amount.

CyphaPSU and largegarlic repped this.
  12. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    Vitinho recently went for like $45M. A better comparison might be Camavinga who went for about $45M inspite of entering his final year of his contract with no intention of renewing- at 18 though he’s even younger than Yunus and more highly rated.

It’s certainly possible to beat Pulisic’s $65M transfer but he’ll have to add either a lot more defensively or in the final 3rd to do so - and I thing he can do both

la torre and largegarlic repped this.
  13. twoolley

twoolley Member+

Jan 3, 2008
    Camavinga is 19 days older looks like.

But was sold younger I agree and was going to call him out. Musah could continue improving defensively this year but most other really expensive midfielders tend to be DMs/pivots or more attacking.

beating pulisics would put him top 50 transfers ever. Will depend on remaining contract partly likely as much as anything.

14. Sup Bro

Sup Bro Member+

Oct 26, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He also plays for Valencia, and if I’ve gleaned one thing about the club by watching from afar it’s that Peter Lim will sell for below market value to a friend.

15. belyin

belyin Member

Jun 1, 2006
    How do you think Nico's loan from Barcelona will effect Musah's season?

16. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I don't think you can put a value on Musah because he has not really showed what his best position is yet and what he does there. In his case, that is a compliment because his athletic skills could have him at any position. He appears a little insecure with club which is understandable given his history with club todate. The new guy, Gattuso, looks to be letting Musah get a little air under his wings and hopefully that will force Musah to show us his full set of tools.

I never looked forward to a Valencia game last year. They were boring as hell. I think it will be another story this year. I think musah will shine if he gives 50% of himself each to offense and defense. I say that because he seems to like the 8 role and that is a role where he really needs to complete many tasks.

17. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    ChicagoVT, Namdynamo, Dizi and 8 others repped this.
  18. derek750

derek750 Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1618 derek750, Aug 14, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2022
    Musah and Valencia up 1-0 on a first half penalty (Musah not involved). Taty Castellanos was fouled early in the second half and the Valencia player got a red card.

Musah had a nice run and shot wide in the first half. Also had a ball end up on his foot after a set piece opportunity. Got a quality shot off that seemed on frame but was blocked.

EDIT: Musah is going 90.

ChicagoVT, Namdynamo, Dizi and 3 others repped this.
  19. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    Valencia ground out a 1-0 win over Girona today despite playing with 10 men for most of the 2nd half. Musah played the full 90 minutes.

Namdynamo, Dizi, mace and 4 others repped this.
  20. Teak

Teak Member+

Feyenoord, VfB Stuttgart, Valencia
    Nov 22, 2008
    Grain Belt
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    #1620 Teak, Aug 14, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2022
    Tough match. Temperature was 36C with high humidity, and going down to 10 men with 40 minutes left meant extra work for the midfielders. Good for the American. This will toughen him up for when he has to play for the NT at the Azteca Stadium.

Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  21. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The coach showing a lot of faith in Musah by keeping him in after going down a man early in the 2nd half. Solid performance. Certainly not mistake-free... but a solid performance all things considered.

Dizi, Ray Shoesmith and madvillain repped this.
  22. Ray Shoesmith

Ray Shoesmith Member+

Valencia
    United States
    Nov 14, 2021
    I was painting so not 100% focused.

He still made some youthful errors, to be expected, and really looked tired at the end. Poor control in the last 15, could have made some better decisions, but he hung in there and got the job done. The circumstances were the same in last years home opener, but this one feels different. Team was definitely tighter tactically. There won‘t be a lot of cheap goals given away this year I think.
    He endured today. Gattuso will appreciate that.

23. WheezingUSASupport

Dortmund
    United States
    Aug 28, 2017
    Yes he made a few of those but also made some great plays to transition from defense to attack. If we get an all touches video there’s one towards the end where he did quite well.

The good outweighed the bad today and is why he went 90min instead of being one of the 5 subs.

24. Ray Shoesmith

Ray Shoesmith Member+

Valencia
    United States
    Nov 14, 2021
    Well, that was mostly near the end as I said, when it was clear he was exhausted. He did soldier on and I do think Gattuso will be happy with what he saw. He is the type of player whose goal was to out suffer the opponent and endure the pain. I‘m sure he will be pretty happy.

25. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States