Yunus Musah at AC Milan

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Jun 19, 2019.

1. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would say he got his playing time opportunity when starters were injured, and he did well with the time given. I agree, him playing wide limits his strengths.
    I think he does better with us because we are giving him time at the position he
    feels more comfortable and we have been playing against lesser opponents, and that is going to change in the coming games.
    I'm sure he is probably looking forward to playing with us. I'm afraid if he gets benched with us as well his psyche may take a major hit.

2. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Winoman and BostonRed repped this.
  3. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    autobus39 and Winoman repped this.
  4. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder

5. felloveranddidanadu

Plymouth Argyle FC
    Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Frogs
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2021: Super sub
    2022: Super star?

6. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I'd play him at lwb in both NL and GC. Perfect situation. We need a lwb and Musah can only grow playing this position with Nats, as he sorts out his club situation in his sophomore campaign at Valencia. That position allows him some flexibility to dribble, pass,score, press, defend. Look at guys like Guereiro and Angelino at Dortmund and Leipzig or Kimmel before he moved centrally at Bayern.

Musah and McKennie are playing the same position for club and I'm sure Musah will win that battle. He is barely 18.

With a WC under his belt in 2022, Musah should have plenty of offers in 2023 if he doesnt stay in Valencia.

ShortyMac repped this.
  7. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    TheHoustonHoyaFan and Winoman repped this.
  10. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think they answered their own question in the article by mentioning his struggles weren’t unusual for his age and the fatigue set in. What Macra failed to mention was his continual use in a position that wasn’t his natural position. Valencia just stuck Musah outside. if the powers that be at Valencia watched the Costa Rica match, you can see clearly see him future lies in the middle of the field. Valencia were a mess last season but Musah should hardly be the focal point.

12. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I see ability in him but for me, he plays young (unsurprisingly).

m vann, Winoman and twoolley repped this.
  13. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Winoman repped this.
  14. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I must be watching the wrong player. Musah is so strong with the ball in the middle of the park under pressure when he has played in his natural role for the NT. I have huge hopes for this kid if he gets the right manager who can coax him through this patch of his club career.

TheHoustonHoyaFan, gnk, Deeneaus and 3 others repped this.
  15. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    My guess is that the goal was to feature the shoes (not the skills) but I agree the presentation is rather plain (and not much improved by the artificial sizzle).

Winoman repped this.
  17. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like him and see the strength. But, there is some youth to his game. May take awhile for him to get in the center for club.

18. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    100% agree. Exactly how I feel. And there’s nothing wrong with that. But….. when you’re at a club that is used to top 4 finishes and CL football, you look for any excuse as to why they aren’t there. I guess pointing fingers at an 18 year old is the thing to do.

19. JWMissoula

JWMissoula Member

Jun 13, 2015
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I don't follow Valencia closely, but, as i understand it, the club's difficulties early in the season were due largely to injuries to established players, which is also what created the opportunity for Musah to get some starts and considerable playing time. When those players returned to the lineup, Valencia performed much better and Musah's minutes declined significantly.

In what was a very cursory and unscientific study, I checked the valuation (on FOTMOB) of each player in Valencia's starting lineup for one of its games later in the season (3-0 win over Real Valladolid), and I was surprised at how highly valued most of their players were. Valencia looked to be fielding a strong team comprised of high valuation, mostly mid-career players. A few examples among the midfielders and forwards:
    • Jose Gaya (26): 42m
    • Carlos Soler (24): 40m
    • Goncalo Guedes (24): 29m
    • Maximiliano Gomez (24): 29m
    • Kang-In Lee (20): 15m
    With these players healthy, is it really such an indictment of Musah that (as a young 18 year old) he rarely started and saw limited minutes?

20. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    he went from playing the majority of the minutes to barely seeing the pitch, so it seems as though that his propensity to play young was on display and he didnt really win minutes as much as fill a gap with injries. did see a spike in usage toward the end of the season tho relative to the prior month. all told i am not sure whats going on with him, but it seems likely the season has taken a physical and/or mental toll on him like it would with many teenagers

21. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Valencia hired Getafe manager José Bordalás to replace interim manager Voro who was in charge for the final four games of the La Liga season. Bordalás took over Getafe in September 2016.

Musah scored a goal and picked up 2 yellow cards in 1,530 minutes (32 appearances including 17 starts) during the 2020/2021 La Liga campaign. Valencia finished 13th.

Musah also scored a goal in 111 minutes (3 appearances including 1 start) during the Copa del Rey. Valencia were eliminated in the Round of 16.

UniversalAdvice, Winoman and TimB4Last repped this.
  22. gnk

gnk Member+

Nov 1, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good point in that most clubs won’t put a teenager in the center of midfield. Even Gio, who played centrally foe the baby Nats, is primarily a winger at Dortmund and they’re the same basic age. But as others noted and at least from what I’ve seen of him with the US, he is very composed on the ball playing in the middle. And he’s only 18. He has the tools to be an excellent central mid.

LouisZ, glutton4Bolts, Deeneaus and 2 others repped this.
  23. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Winoman repped this.
  24. Hobo

Hobo Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    Young, affluent, marginally famous, highly athletic. How could he not enjoy himself?