Yunus Musah at AC Milan

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Jun 19, 2019.

1. felloveranddidanadu

Plymouth Argyle FC
    Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Frogs
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sturdy kid, great speed, great balance, quick feet. Occupies 2 defenders so when he's in flow he'll always have an easy pass when he's not blowing by his marker(s). Nice!

Gacm32 repped this.
  2. frankburgers

frankburgers Member+

May 31, 2016
    I like yunus. He’s got great potential. But...

upload_2021-2-12_21-26-44.jpeg

3. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He’s a streaky player as an 18 year old in La Liga. Who cares what his stats are? I’ll start caring about how he stacks up with his peers when he can legally drink, and we have a better idea of his possible ceiling.

4. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
  5. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We should care because people are putting him in the starting lineup as a 10, even though he has a serious lack of creativity.

He is an 8 or very defensive 10 right now. The former would put him as a backup, the latter situational.

This says nothing about his future. But I think Frank's point is a lot of people are jumping the gun based on that rapid trajectory, Valencia association (which doesn't mean as much as it used to), and a couple friendly cap sample against not so great comp.

Incidentally, Frank didn't originate this concern based on the fbref deep dive. It was mentioned on a recent Scuffed or TSS episode. So I don't think you can just chalk it up to Frank's negativity. It's a reasonable issue at present.

theboogeyman repped this.
  7. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Am I the only who feels that the whole concept of building the team around uncommitted 18 years old kid is just plain stupid? We don't have any friendlies to waste and he isn't a keeper or full back where it's easier to incorporate a new player.

8. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Musah was just ranked I think 18th best player in the world under 20 and Reyna was 5? Yes, I think you build around both and try and find a way to add them to the core players of Pulisic, McKennie, Adams, Dest, Brooks etc. in a 4-3-3 there is a #10 in midfield so a defensive #10 or an 8 is exactly who fits. There will also be a lot of turnover in the qualifying cycle with sometimes three games in a window instead of the usual two. With Nations League coming up somewhat soon and Musah himself saying he would decide by March I say let it play out as it certainly appears he will join Dest as a recruiting win. If he turns down NL then move on.

Gacm32 repped this.
  9. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    Who's putting him in a lineup as a 10? I'd imagine everyone with him in the midfield is doing as I am -- a dual 8 with McKennie, just like Berhalter played him.

He has the skillset to be a strong defensive 8 with the ability to progress the ball. I don't put him as winger precisely because I haven't seen a lot of goalscoring skills from him at all.

Konut repped this.
  10. theboogeyman

theboogeyman Member+

Jun 21, 2010
    The rankings are cool and all but you have to look at production. Right now, he’s an inconsistent player for a team that’s 3 points above the relegation zone. If he never improves on what he is now (which is unlikely, but still possible) then that’s nothing to really get excited about.

I am very excited about Musah and our young players, but it’s dangerous to assume they will all hit the levels that Adams, Mckennie, and CP have (decent-to-good starter for cl team) just because they’re at the top of their age group.

11. Konut

Konut Member+

May 31, 2010
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hear what you’re saying, but in Berhalter’s system he’s competing for one of the 8 positions alongside Mckennie. He’s probably competing with Lletget and maybe Aaronson for that position... and with that competition I’d prefer to have Musah on the field as of now.

I think the best lineup we could field without Musah included would be a midfield Trio of Reyna, Mckennie and Adams, and have either Morris or Weah on the RW, but that doesn’t seem to be the direction Berhalter is going.

TxEx and LouisZ repped this.
  12. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On the bench:

[​IMG]

Winoman repped this.
  13. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    Musah subs on in a halftime double sub, looks to be playing wide left in a 4-4-2. Real Madrid lead 2-0.

edcrocker repped this.
  14. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Against the average opponent you need more than 3 players capable of attacking. Heck, sometimes you need 5.

So it's semantics to rationalize he's one of two 8's. One of those two guys are going to need to play more like a 10 w/ defensive abilities. That's not Wes either.

One would often be sacrificed. That's Musah.

15. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    Even with Musah, I have a striker, two wingers, and two attacking fullbacks. That's 5. Then add McKennie, who brings offense from an 8.

There are situations where I might want a more CM. But it's hardly limiting ourselves to put Musah at a dual 8.

16. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well I think Musah is awesome...but a midfield 3 of adams, musah and mckennie...is not necessarily the most creative and could very well have issues generating goals...if they are behind 2 wingers and a striker. no need to sugarcoat it.

17. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    It is less creative than one with someone more creative than Musah in it, of course.

But it's disingenous to pretend there's only 3 in attack when the assumed starters at FB are Sergino Dest and Antonee Robinson, and Wes McKennie is at the other 8.

At some point, if you put a "real" 10 in the middle, you are really attacking with close to 7 guys.

It's all a balance and you can swap, but let's not pretend our FBs aren't a part of our attack.

18. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    eh...they can chip in but how many of those are actually goal scoring threats? 2 or 3 players is not enough. the one game weve seen them together finished 0-0...as I would predict would often be the case with that trio.

No matter how it shakes out some good players will be on the bench...which is the case for every good team....so might as well put out the most dangerous team in my opinion....in a tourney you need the whole roster, regardless....everyone who makes the 23 will play....and every good player doesnt need to play every minute, either.

19. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    There's lots of situations where I'd prefer a more defensively solid team rather than just putting the most offensively dangerous lineup out there.

Given spacing needs and the need to secure the ball, shuttle it forward, etc., I don't even know if the lineup with the most attacking talent is actually the one most likely to score.

Some good players will be on the bench -- but if you neglect defense, you're probably losing.

I'd have different lineups for different matchups. But I'd be cautious about trying to play 7 attacking players against good teams.

YNWA Rob repped this.
  20. YNWA Rob

YNWA Rob Member+

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Nov 12, 2020
    Indiana
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    100 %. Hopefully the manager's decisions become more and more difficult due to a deeper and wider pool of players. Then the bloodletting on these boards will be epic.

RossD and gogorath repped this.
  21. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or maybe it gets more interesting as we debate different tactical schemes and lineups. Wait I think I might be hallucinating.

YNWA Rob, gogorath and RossD repped this.
  22. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    1361454299977547776 is not a valid tweet id

Winoman repped this.
  23. Deeneaus

Deeneaus Member+

Aug 29, 2007
    America/Deutschland
    Club:
    Arminia Bielefeld
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    His technique and dribbling are usually so silky smooth. Routinely failed him a bit during this clip. Thank you for posting!

wixson7 repped this.
  24. greenarch

greenarch Member

Jan 16, 2021
    do people think he is going to actually commit to the US this year? he doesn't have to rush, he's still a kid. that said there is a lot of talent in England that is superior atm. I think he might be Italy eligible as well, though?

25. felloveranddidanadu

Plymouth Argyle FC
    Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Frogs
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If eligible for Italy, my personal odds would be 50 USA/40 England/10 Italy