Yunus Musah at AC Milan

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Jun 19, 2019.

1. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There’s also Alphonso Davies who had a bit of success at a young age.

2. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    … though again, in Germany. :cool:

3. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Musah is in Perth for AC Milan v Roma on Friday.

Goalkeepers: Nava, Sportiello, Torriani.

Defenders: Bartesaghi, Calabria, Florenzi, Gabbia, Hernández, Kalulu, Jiménez, Simić, Terracciano, Thiaw, Tomori.

Midfielders: Adli, Loftus-Cheek, Musah, Pobega, Reijnders, Zeroli.

Forwards: Giroud, Jović, Okafor.

[​IMG]

4. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We should have an honest conversation about both his strengths and weaknesses. I don't think that's nitpicky; its the purpose of the forum.

The Irish Rover, FirstStar and Dizi repped this.
  5. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Clearly picking at nits is what we do. I don't think it is an especially egregious breach of etiquette to question this guy's future. I am sure AC Milan have some questions too, but have elected to persevere. He shows glimpses of having a very high ceiling, but achieving that will require him to get consistent in his game.

I think a new coach might actually help if he doesn't see him as a swiss army knife. Pioli clearly rated him, but his value appeared to be as a utility player more so than any single position. He can be great if he can learn to be a professional and not switch off at the damnedest times. Maybe just playing the same spot would help, but he is getting on the field regular at a storied club with high aspirations and that is a good thing.

The future is bright, all the things wrong are fixable and he is an athletic specimen, The one thing about Italian clubs is they have to work with what they have to an extent. Unlike PL clubs, they can't buy five top players at a spot, and loan the three out that won't see the pitch.

It is a brand new era at Milan and hopefully they got the coach selection right.

6. PaulGascoigne

PaulGascoigne Member+

Feb 5, 2001
    Aotearoa/NZ
    YM has more Top 4 Euro league appearances than CP at the same age and they are about even on caps. CP has the edge on Champions league appearances. Overall, YM is doing very well at a high level, and not just by US or North American standards. I share people's frustrations with what he hasn't been able to get right yet. But he just looks so good when he looks good, if that makes sense. I really like the comment above that suggests he needs some time to develop at one position.

RunthePoint, Deeneaus, russ and 3 others repped this.
  7. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    Musah is on the bench today for Milan's match against Roma in Perth, Australia.

8. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    Musah played the second half. He subbed in for Calabria, which makes me suspicious that he played right back, but I don't know. Given the personnel, they could have been experimenting with wingbacks. They conceded five, including three in the second half, so not a great data point. Hopefully enjoyed the trip.

9. Teak

Teak Member+

Feyenoord, VfB Stuttgart, Valencia
    Nov 22, 2008
    Grain Belt
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    AC Milan have approached Mats Wieffer about moving to Italy this summer. He has had an outstanding and meteoric rise at Feyenoord Rotterdam and the Dutch NT, and IMHO is a much better choice for DM than Yunus Musah.

I saw Musah play when he was with Valencia. Perhaps he has improved, IDK. But in the match against Brazil this week, I note that he still has the explosive run forward to beat the press but after that, then what? Wieffer knows what to do with the ball in the final 1/3. He scores goals and can provide assists.

Time will tell, but I see Wieffer as giving Musah strong competition if he does move to Milan.

10. Rossonero23

Rossonero23 BigSoccer Yellow Card

Sep 9, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Or tiji can be sold to a epl team. I've read rumors. Apparently manure want him.
    Never liked man united or any England team in general except ranieris Leicester.

feyenoordsoccerfan repped this.
  11. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Wieffer is a good player, but he's also going to turn 25 the same month as Musah is going to turn 22. At 21 I think Wieffer was still playing in the Ereste and scoring a goal or 5 max - which, of course, does not mean he wouldn't beat Musah out at current form, but Musah is still a much younger/unfinished product. Looking at Wieffer's trajectory would actually be encouraging for Musah.

Zinkoff, feyenoordsoccerfan and DCU1984 repped this.
  12. Rossonero23

Sep 9, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Reijndeer same age as Wieffer.

13. DCU1984

DCU1984 Member+

Jan 15, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Correct, Musah is still developing and CM tends to take longer than wingers to hit their peak. He regressed a bit last year but hoping he can take the next step. He seemed to be in his head to much this year and wasn't playing naturally.

14. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    He was moved all over the pitch this past season. He'd play in three different positions during some matches as subs and formations changed things up. That would be difficult for anyone, let alone a guy who was 20 at the beginning of the season and I'm his first year with the club in a new country.

glutton4Bolts, y-lee-coyote and Winoman repped this.
  15. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He came fractions of an inch from a golazo which bounced off the crossbar with pace from distance but generally you're right he needs to make better decisions near the box. I still have some hope just because he has all of the tools and if he's able to dribble in tight spaces and make passes farther away there's nothing but the grey matter between his ears holding him back.

Winoman repped this.
  16. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    That is not necessarily true. Good vision is super hard/impossible to teach.

17. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some are born with it true. I think others can sort of see it but have to get used to the speed of play and relax. That's what I'm hoping from him. He seems to rush the closer he gets to goal.

18. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    He leads the universe in almost golazos. I'm going to start calling him Geppetto for his woodworking skills.

19. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah... it is crazy. Almost like he is aiming for the frame. I have also seen a few going on target get saved by GK heroics. IMO, his technique looks solid when in space near the top of the D and he should therefore attempt shooting from distance more often. I mean, it isn't like he is nearly slipping thru pin-point thru balls. His passing in the opponents half is pretty poor... he should just pull the trigger.

Zinkoff, usnroach and FC Tallavana repped this.
  20. Higher Learning

Jul 1, 2009
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    freisland, y-lee-coyote, smokarz and 7 others repped this.
  21. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good sign. He’s still young. Playing UCL ball for a top Italian club.

22. Rossonero23

Sep 9, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Which teams were interested???

HScoach13 repped this.
  23. Higher Learning

Jul 1, 2009
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    [​IMG]
    Per SempreMilan ... "His debut season saw him struggle for consistent minutes, but it seems he could be a large part of Paulo Fonseca’s plans for the upcoming season.

As alluded to earlier, a report from this afternoon suggested that Napoli are interested in the American midfielder, and saw him as a target to strengthen their midfield. However, Daniele Longo has stated on his X account that the midfielder is seen as non-transferable around the Diavolo, and the club are betting on him heavily."

m vann, wsmaugham and Higher Learning repped this.
  25. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Heck, he's only 21. They have two years to know whereabouts he's going to end in the curve.

At some point Yunus was making the "top young players to watch" lists. So even though right now he's not where many of us expected, there's still a window of opportunity for him to show something better on the field. They'd be fools to sell him right now, when other teams are planning to buy low because he had a mediocre season.

Pegasus, DCU1984 and The Irish Rover repped this.