Yuki Abe at Leicester City Official Thread [R]

Discussion in 'Japan' started by sphericalfox, Nov 7, 2010.

1. Bass0r

Bass0r Member

Jan 18, 2009
    Tokyo/N. Velidhoo
    Club:
    Urawa RD
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Seemed to me like an anchor-cum-distributor. Didn't really come forward to attack, but was the key link between the transition from defence to attack, passing the ball to players to initiate that movement.

2. seolseol

seolseol Member+

Apr 26, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Sounds good. I hope Svennis has faith in him.

3. goru_no_ura

goru_no_ura Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Miyako of Zipang
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    "Abeckham"
    Terrible nickname.
    Basically sounds like "not-Beckham" :cool:

4. sphericalfox

sphericalfox New Member

Nov 4, 2010
    Leeds, UK
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Sorry about the delay of updating, but I can see that thankfully you've had an idea of how he got on. I've been very busy in the last week.

Abe has been easily one of our best players. Against Forrest he tirelessly tracked his man, had a good run at goal, and a shot sadly off target. But more importantly we beat our fierce rivals and playoff contenders. Not by a great margin, but a win is a win and vital 3 points.

I guess on a technical point of view, Abe has been a great distributor of the ball. He has been given great plaudits by teammates, especially by his fellow midfielders, who have credited him for allowing them to get forward in attack, as he has been tracking back and helping the defensive line.

The only part of Abe's game we have not seen is his strength in free kicks and/or corners. It looks as though from games I have seen and clips online that Abe has a great ability on 'deadball' situations. Whether it is a communication issue, and he doesn't feel he can do this, or has been asked not to, I am not sure. An amazing statistic, we have has over 120 corners this season, and have not scored one goal. Now I think this is the quality of the ball provision. I think Abe could be the answer to this, but I would like to see him given a better opportunity to do so.

With a great things, there's the downside. Abe is first choice for Sven, without a doubt, and I would argue near all Leicester fans would put him on the team sheet if given the choice. With the impending absence of Abe over X-mas, we are going to miss him badly. We do have players who can play his position, but I don't think we have cover of Abe's quality.

We are playing again today against Watford, who we have a good record against. Abe will no doubt play this game. I think we may have to change our formation and/or try another player in Abe's position in preparation for him heading off for the Asian Cup.

I will endeavour to keep you up-to-date more than I have. Perhaps you can let me know how he gets on in the Asia Cup? I will be following Japan's progress, but won't be able to watch the matches and Abe's performances specifically. So any feedback then will be great though a month away!

I'll be back later to update on today's match.

5. sphericalfox

sphericalfox New Member

Nov 4, 2010
    Leeds, UK
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Leicester had a difficult game and were 2 goals down due to massive defensive and goalkeeping blunders.

Abe is showing us once again grit and determination to try get back in the game. He did try to shoot on several occasions, but all of them were a fair distance off target, but it did show tenacity and he was making an effort to get us back in the game.

We did manage to come out of the blocks in the second half and dominated possession. We were given a penalty, scored, and managed another from a free kick.

We couldn't hold on a within the last ten minutes lost a lot of possession and squandered chances. I think Abe will need a goal or two before and a bit more practice, as he hasn't got his shooting boots on yet.

Overall, a disappoint from our previous game. Abe doesn't give up easily, and that'll be important to us, but as stated above we are going to miss him desperately when he heads off for your Internationals.

I'm not sure I'm giving you want you want other than generalising, let me know if you want more and I'll try to fill the gaps.

6. seolseol

seolseol Member+

Apr 26, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Leicester should get some new good players in january before it's too late to advance to the PL.

7. sphericalfox

sphericalfox New Member

Nov 4, 2010
    Leeds, UK
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I agree. Our defense is not bad, our keepers are not great, and we could do with a forward with a better strike to goal ratio. If we don't get new players and improve, we may well lose Abe, and other exceptional players in the team.

8. Saku²

Saku² Member+

Aug 22, 2009
    Club:
    FC Salzburg
    You guys didn't sign Rensing or Kirkland ?

9. sphericalfox

sphericalfox New Member

Nov 4, 2010
    Leeds, UK
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Apparently with Rensing, he turned us down, but I feel he was turned down. He has a history of ego issues.

We did sign Kirkland on loan, and he was to play in our game against Nottingham Forrest, but he became injured the day before the game. His recurring back problem. He is a good keeper, but an injury liability. I don't think he will return, though he is a good keeper when fit. The emergency loan window is closed, and we will have to wait until January now. Our current keepers are making crucial errors, and I don't feel are promotion winning. Sven tried to bring in a keeper, but luck was not with Kirkland.

10. Saku²

Saku² Member+

Aug 22, 2009
    Club:
    FC Salzburg
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKLbrvvnTdE"]YouTube - ???? || ???????? || ????????[/ame]

LOL
    and lol at the moron saying Abe had been "outmuscled". He just underestimated the conditions for a second.

11. seolseol

seolseol Member+

Apr 26, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Ugh. Everbody can make a mistake playing in these conditions.

12. Majster2

Majster2 Member+

Apr 23, 2010
    Poland
    Club:
    Urawa RD
    He was ratcher "outsnowed".

13. sphericalfox

sphericalfox New Member

Nov 4, 2010
    Leeds, UK
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    This clip makes Abe look as though he wasn't very good. Other than that mistake he probably was our best player...once again.

Most of our team were terrible, especially the defence. The conditions didn't help as we are a passing team and play at pace.

Ipswich did their best to press us and we folded.

I really am nervous when he goes away to play for Japan!

BTW - Has Abe done any interviews for the Japanese football press? It would be nice to hear if he's talked about his experience so far etc.

14. Bass0r

Bass0r Member

Jan 18, 2009
    Tokyo/N. Velidhoo
    Club:
    Urawa RD
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I watched the game yesterday, but I couldn't even tell who was who for most of it. Ipswitch did dominate that first half (made clear by the goals) and then neither team really looked like a big threat in the second, despite a few chances either side.

15. sphericalfox

sphericalfox New Member

Nov 4, 2010
    Leeds, UK
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I know this probably should be in another thread, but can anyone tell me why Abe has not been chosen for the Japan squad for the Asian Cup? He is fully fit and has been on form (apart from last week! but no one at Leicester was!).

Also can anyone tell me if Abe has been talking to the Japanese press about his experience over here yet?

Merry Christmas to all by the way:)

16. seolseol

seolseol Member+

Apr 26, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Don't know yet. But it is good for Leicester hehe. Merry Christmas to you also.

17. stefanole

stefanole Member

Mar 26, 2009
    Hiroshima
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC
    The Japanese press were expecting Abe to be picked. Since the squad's been announced I can only find one article that notes Abe and Nakazawa weren't picked, without elaborating (although this is probably more to do with the fact that the squad was announced in the evening I think, and the papers haven't started the next working day yet). I get the impression that Abe is keeping things on the down low - there are a few quotes I can find along the lines of "I'm getting used to the fast-pace of the game here, which is good", but that's about it. Obviously he still feels like he's settling in, so probably he doesn't want to talk too much to the press lest he be distracted.

18. nsato

nsato Member

Oct 11, 2009
    Abe and Leicester up 1-0 vs Man City in FA Cup in the first 15 minutes. Winner takes on Notts County next round.

19. Majster2

Majster2 Member+

Apr 23, 2010
    Poland
    Club:
    Urawa RD
    Guess what - Yuki plays a good game. If shot he just fired was in front of Jordan goal Japan wouldn't have to worry about the result. But considering playing against Jordan and Man City I would rather take part in second one :)

20. Saku²

Saku² Member+

Aug 22, 2009
    Club:
    FC Salzburg
    If he keeps on this way, that will be an unbelievable game. I never watch EPL, but this is really exciting.

21. nsato

nsato Member

Oct 11, 2009
    Replay!! Good result for them.

22. Saku²

Saku² Member+

Aug 22, 2009
    Club:
    FC Salzburg
    That was a great match, one of those would could make you a Leicester City fan.

23. stefanole

stefanole Member

Mar 26, 2009
    Hiroshima
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC
    Would I be in the minority if I said I wasn't impressed with Abe in this match? I think I counted him making one tackle in the entire game.

24. Majster2

Majster2 Member+

Apr 23, 2010
    Poland
    Club:
    Urawa RD
  25. stefanole

stefanole Member

Mar 26, 2009
    Hiroshima
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC
    I figured that since we're more versed in Japanese football, that we are past being impressed with a player just because he has a high workrate. But maybe not? ;)

Abe didn't close down for one of the goals and as I said, I counted maybe one tackle all game. His positioning was excellent, but in English football this isn't enough since players are willing to take a chance and run at you anyway. This is football after all, not chess. Milner proved this by going past Abe like he wasn't there and striking to make it 1-1. He needs to improve this if he is going to go further in England, because let's not forget he is impressing fans of a second-tier English club. I want to see him go further, but he is going to have to step up his game.