YSA Chant

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by chitown, Jul 2, 2005.

1. chitown

chitown New Member

Mar 15, 2000
    Chicago
    I started up a separate thread on this because I noticed bing1985 bought up the idea of young fan area in the new stadium in the Questions for Peter Wilt Thread and pookspur pointed out his experience coming across a young mom and her Fire fan kids in a bookstore who inquired about the experience at the stadium.

I think pookspur brings up a good point about this particular chant and the impact it having on possible new Fire fans.

The truth is it IS offending parents and worse turning parents off to bringing out kids to Fire games.

I have brought people to games as my guests and they bring their children along and on three separate occasions the guests clearly stated they thought it was well... the one thing that stood out in an otherwise perfect evening.

I sent a copy of a ticket offer out to one couple who attended a game as a guest and the male of the family responded that while they had fun at the game and have even been watching Fire games on TV they did not want their kids to continually hear the YSA Chant so declined the ticket offer. Net result lost revenue for the Fire.

Look at I don't sit in Section 8 but I do support the various fan groups and individuals that stand in this section for games, not only in spirit but in dollars and sometimes even by volunteering my time to help whatever cause or goal the group is trying to achieve. I'm not stating this for glory only so you know I support the group and I am not attacking it.

I sit in the 200 section I'm surrounded by season ticket holders and folks that bring associates, clients and/or guests to games almost always with kids in tow. And whenever the chant lets go the majority of the regulars just cringe and apologize. And almost immediately there is general chat that well we just collectively wish it would stop.

I know you have the right to free speech and all but I also think it would be cool if you would use this right to free speech to alter this particular chant. I doubt it would ever happen and would be delighted if it would and I'm sure there are others out there that feel the same way.

Put it this way Section 8 is such an important part of the Fire experience, in effect (besides the product on the field) you create the atmosphere within the stadium and you do such a wonderful job.

First time attendees to a Fire game are amazed by your dedication and loyalty to the Team. They immediately comment on how cool it is... how special it is...how they do not see this at Cubs/Sox/Bears/Hawks/Bulls games. Your efforts pay off in that you know these "newbies" are going to tell their friends, neighbors and co-workers that hey you have to go and see it.

Your an awesome resource for new fan conversion and you begin to hook the newbies and then bam that chant turns it sour. It is like having an amazing meal and then getting served bugs for dessert you forget the meal.

Once again the truth is it IS offending parents and worse turning parents off to bringing out kids to Fire games in turn it is having a negative effect on generating new fans.

Anyway just though I would open up a discussion on this to see if maybe the powers that be in Section 8 could maybe alter this particular chant to something else.

Somehow I have a feeling the attacks are going to be coming my way as a result of this thread I hope this is not the case as I'm just trying to open up a civilized dialogue about this.

2. Es Brennt

Es Brennt Member+

Feb 25, 2003
    Shermer, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Stuff it.

3. irishFS1921

irishFS1921 New Member

Aug 2, 2002
    WB05 Compound
    why did you waste all that time to type so much ******** that's already been said over and over again.

Question: what are you going to change on the internet?
    Answer: Absolutely fucking nothing

p.s. go fist yourself.

4. SixKick

SixKick Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2000
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Anybody who honestly believes that their children are going to be corrupted by hearing YSA must be doing a pretty piss poor job of parenting.

Seriously, this is Chicago, not some conformist suburb or a hick town in texas.

5. SparkeyG

SparkeyG Member

Feb 25, 2002
    Mokena, IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You poor brave, stupid man. After being forced to be w/o YSA for almost two years in Naperevil, S8 is gonna continue to chant YSA. Mainly to 'stick it to the man', and be a youthfull up yours to more conservative adults. It's not like worse hasn't been heard on TV or even the school yard.

6. genpabloescobar

Feb 17, 2002
    And since the topic is brought up again, I'll bring up my old argument that it has run its course and really isn't that funny anymore. The first year it was novel. After several years, I think it's just stale. I realize it's a tradition and all, but, seriously, it has no effect. I don't think Kevin Hartmann cries to his teammates in the locker room after the game because Section 8 calls him an **************.

I'm not saying that swearing can't be used when it's warranted...I'm just saying yelling ************** for the sake of yelling ************** really isn't all that exciting. I think there are ways of being supportive, drunk, obnoxious, and fun-loving without relying on a bit that has gone the way of Rob Schneider making copies on Saturday Night Live.

7. Why not yell ******** or vendejo like the Mexicans? This way white bread gringo kids won't be as easily corrupted.

8. GuinnessFC

GuinnessFC New Member

Jun 1, 2000
    NWI
    I must say I could not have said this any better. I mean I hav ebeen here since the beginning but I totally agree that is has run its course. I mean I am all about "giving it to the man" I just think it is time for somthing new. I feel we are a much more creative bunch the YSA. I mean I think it is pointless now...
    THat is my two cents..

But then again I am often called an ************** adn I jsut though you cause were paying tribute to me.....

9. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :rolleyes:

Pathetic responces.

10. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My two cents:

1. The YSA chant really isn't all that great anymore. More than a few supporters groups do it.
    2. If a parent has issues with their kid hearing that and worrying about it being repeated they sersiously need to reconsider being a parent.
    3. Young kids should not sit in Section 8 [or near it] unless the parents realize what they're getting themselves into.

11. Es Brennt

Es Brennt Member+

Feb 25, 2003
    Shermer, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    The only thing that could make this thread worse are Metro fans who can't spell chiming in about how we do things in Chicago...

Seriously though, this YSA debate is stupid as hell.

A few points:
    1. The YSA chant IS stale, immature, lame, etc.
    2. Despite the above, a whole bunch of people seem to enjoy doing it.
    3. Whining about it on an internet board won't change a damn thing.

So in review:
    <yawn>
    WHO CARES.

12. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
    I still think it's funny and the goalies certainly hear it.

And to whoever thinks it's a good idea to say it in Spanish instead of English, you're a racist bitch.

13. Onionsack

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very true. But i think the point here is that this particular chant resinates though the entire stadium.

It isn't anything that will screw a kids life up, god knows kids will learn those words somewhere else if not at a fire game. People are all different with different values and objections and have different levels of strictness in child raising. While people may not agree with those opinions they should at least be respected instead of being told to stuff it or to go fist themselves. Those kind of responces are not going to endear your supporters group to anyone.

14. bunge

Oct 24, 2000
    If YSA is stale, so are all of our chants. I guess we should just stop.

15. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    I couldn't agree more. God forbid somebody wants to actually discuss something. If you can't talk about this on a Chicago Fire message board, then where should it be discussed? The guy who started the thread had a valid point.

16. bunge

Oct 24, 2000
    I don't think you understand. We're not an endearing bunch.

17. genpabloescobar

Feb 17, 2002
    Two things...

1) It's hard to judge tone of the written word, but I don't think the people suggesting the elimination are whining. I think they're offering constructive reasons for why it might be time for it to go. If anyone is whining, it's some of those who are just dismissing the arguments out of hand.

2) As for bunge's comments about stopping other chants...well, no. But won't you at least concede that Section 8 has a heck of a lot more to offer in variety of chants and songs than they did 4 years ago? Surely if you guys can come up with new songs to sing, you can come up something new to yell at Nick Rimando?

18. Onionsack

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As someone that lived in Chicago, sat in section 8, and supported the team while i was there in school i think i can say whatever i damn please. I choose to support Metro first now because i am living here and will be for quite some time.

The thread starter wasn't at all whining and went out of their way to be polite..your response to it was lame, immature, and rude. The other guy's was even more disrespectful.

19. genpabloescobar

Feb 17, 2002
    Apparently people do. You might not, but that doesn't mean that others can't or don't.

20. Onionsack

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No i understand fine. I have been there and most everyone in S8 takes pride in thier club and their fan group. I doubt most supporters embrace being percieved as a bunch of a-holes to their fellow fans. At least thats not how i remember it.

21. Greddy

Greddy Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How about this,

When the goalkeeper is about to kick the ball, instead of yelling YSA, we yell "you suck motherfucker!!!". Everybody wins.

22. stucknutah

stucknutah Member+

Feb 14, 2002
    In the Office
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    disclaimer: I have never been to a Fire game, but have watched many on the tube / internet and have heard the "YSA" numerous times.

I am a bit confused :confused: ...Section 8 is insisting on screaming "YSA" despite the fact they know it offends some potential fans / and (if I lived in Chicago) would preclude me from bringing my family to the game, so I'm sure it precludes others. Yet, the Fire is struggling for fans. I do not get why the "supporters" group is not doing everything they can to get as many fans as possible to the game...instead, they seem to be revelling in the fact they can scream obscenities, despite the FACT it keeps fans from the game. I just do not get it. Can someone please explain why this particular act is held so dearly?

(BTW) Sams Army chose not to yell "YSA" for the MNT game in SLC. It was appreciated. :)

23. stucknutah

stucknutah Member+

Feb 14, 2002
    In the Office
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Class...pure class. :(

24. Greddy

Greddy Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh boo hoo. There isn't some Section 8 braintrust that insists on keeping this chant going. Marcin isn't in the front of the section demanding you yell it or leave, in fact, I don't think I've EVER seen the capo yell this. EVER. I'm not saying it hasn't happened, but Marcin (and Coz) usually just laugh and wait for it to end so we can get back to the good stuff.

The fact is, this chant will end when the majority of people want it to, no sooner, and no later. No one is fighting to keep it alive, but I personally am not going to start clamping down on behavior I feel is slightly inappropriate. It goes against the independant nature of the section, who am I to judge anyway.

You people have to realize that while Section 8 Chicago is the "Independant Supporter's Association" of the Fire, the supporters that make up Section 8 are mostly independant of each other. Not everything they yell or sing is run through a Section 8 advisory board. It's one thing if the chant in question was started by one of the Capos, but this one clearly isn't.

25. creative_destruction

Nov 28, 2003
    Chicago
    We did get about half the section to say "fire reject" to DJ once instead of YSA, but people seem to like YSA better, oh well, what are you going to do?