You've only come to see the Arsenal - Other Teams' Thread [R]

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by Skizz, Sep 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TerpSoccerFan

TerpSoccerFan Member

Jan 14, 2007
    Rome
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Worst game I can remember Gerrard playing in a long time...

2. kanonier

kanonier Member+

Nov 7, 2005
    Bloomington, Ind.
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Makes you wonder if they're running him out when he should still be rested for his injury.

3. TerpSoccerFan

TerpSoccerFan Member

Jan 14, 2007
    Rome
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have to think so.

Even when he's not on skill-wise, he's almost always a force in a game... throwing himself around, running end to end.

In this game, he's just done nothing. He's practically jogging around in a 20 yard box.

4. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    That's a nice lot to travel for Rosenborg!

5. kanonier

kanonier Member+

Nov 7, 2005
    Bloomington, Ind.
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Werder Bremen succumb... van Nistelrooy scores to put Madrid up 2-1.

6. Skizz

Skizz Guest

Full times

GROUP A

Porto 1 - 1 Liverpool
    Marseille 1 - 0 Besiktas

GROUP B

Chelsea 1 - 1 Rosenborg
    Schalke 0 - 1 Valencia

GROUP C

Olympiakos 1 - 1 Lazio
    Real Madrid 2 - 1 Werder Bremen

GROUP D

Milan 2 - 0 Benfica
    Shakhtar 2 - 0 Celtic

7. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Dear God how I'd love to see those lost points cost Chelski!

8. TerpSoccerFan

TerpSoccerFan Member

Jan 14, 2007
    Rome
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How long has it been since they actually won a game?

9. kanonier

kanonier Member+

Nov 7, 2005
    Bloomington, Ind.
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    and Liverpool!

10. maskito

maskito Member+

Arsenal
    Jan 14, 2006
    Nashville
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I doubt Chelski even had that many. Watching their "highlights" after the Scouser's match on ESPN2, the Bridge looked like is was only 1/3 full. 15,000 at the most...

11. Bucks Gunner

Bucks Gunner Member

Apr 13, 2005
    Pennsylvania
    Aren't we all glad he's gone? He should have gotten a second yellow just for dissent.

12. Frankgarrison

Frankgarrison Member

Jul 18, 2002
    Jackson, MS, USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Final official attendance number: 24,973 capacity? 42,000. For a Champions League match.

13. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess the bandwagon had to pull over and let some people off.

14. Gooner_for_Life

Oct 26, 2005
    Portland, OR
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lets hope that they didnt pull over and that some of them just fell off somewhere hopefully hitting their head very hard.

15. surfcam

surfcam Member

Sep 8, 2004
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Oh, it's over? OK everybody off. What do we do now? Huh? OK, c'mon everyone, lets go to LA!! Posh Spice's husband is out there!!! Hurrah!"

16. Highbury

Highbury Member

May 13, 2006
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Quaresma is so nice...I can't stand that he's staying in Portugal basically only being tested in the CL and a few league matches a season.

But, yea kinda disappointed to see such weak turnouts for some of the matches.

17. mpeabody

mpeabody New Member

Jun 3, 2005
    Lexington, KY
    I put Quaresma in the same category as Riquelme. Look great in second tier leagues, but I don't think they'd cut it in the Prem.

18. Highbury

Highbury Member

May 13, 2006
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Although it didn't really work out in Spain previously, I have no doubt he'd be a great addition to a team like Valencia or Sevilla. If he would start, Madrid and Barcelona too.

Given the way he has played in the past against top Premiership sides (Chelsea, Liverpool), and that plenty of other Portuguese wingers have fared well in England, I think it's worth a shot.

19. TerpSoccerFan

TerpSoccerFan Member

Jan 14, 2007
    Rome
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He wouldn't start at Valencia or Sevilla, and likely not at Barca or Madrid either. All four of those teams are pretty stacked with guys at his position that are at least as good and more proven in Spain.

He's fun to watch sometimes, but I agree 100% with the Riquelme comparison above - not big club material.

20. Shibby13

Shibby13 New Member

May 2, 2006
    NJ
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    By the way Terp remember our little Dempsey vs. Landycakes discussion back in the summer? Early in the season I know but the Deuce has looked brilliant.

21. TerpSoccerFan

TerpSoccerFan Member

Jan 14, 2007
    Rome
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I remember.

Certainly wouldn't be the first time I have been wrong.

Dempsey has been in great form for the last couple weeks, but we shall see.

Our discussion was largely in the paradigm of value to the national team. Dempsey added a goal against Brazil, but I don't think he played all that well. A few of his games for Fulham have been a different story, however.

I still believe Donovan is the better player, but he was mired in the absolute total failure that was the Galaxy this summer. It certainly didn't help him, but I'm going to give him another chance to come back next summer with Beckham for a full season hopefully and perhaps a better team for them in general and see how he manages it. To be honest, despite the league troubles... had Landon hit the one penalty to finish it against Pachuca, his season could be written as a success - winning a trophy at both the club and country levels as the centerpiece of the team... But that one miss turned his season from "acceptably good" to "absolutely horrible." I don't really have a problem with that, that's how it is.

I posted myself on here this past weekend that Dempsey's performance has made me question the ceiling I'd put on him in my own mind. I'm going to give him a little while longer to see if he can keep this up though. His problem will probably be that his hold on a spot at Fulham will be fragile. A few bad games in a row and he'll likely find himself struggling for minutes again. Everything with him is about confidence and right now he has more of it than he's ever had (which is saying something).

22. mpeabody

mpeabody New Member

Jun 3, 2005
    Lexington, KY
    I think Porto put a 20mil price on him. Not worth it at that price, but if they came down significantly I can see a big team giving him a shot.

23. Shibby13

Shibby13 New Member

May 2, 2006
    NJ
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Terp I agree with everything you said except for the line that Donovan is better I just don't think so at all. As I said before it's early, but if Deuce keeps up this pace the rest of the year he will be bought by a much bigger club. The guys on Fox Football Fone-In were just talking about that it wouldn't surprise them if one of the Big 4 bought him and that the US should start marketing him as the face of US Soccer now. Those guys are complete clowns I know but I was liking what they were saying.

24. XCdude24

XCdude24 New Member

Dec 16, 2006
    UCSB
    Seriously, Fulham probably would have drew more against Rosenberg. Pitiful for a team that wants to be the best in the world.

25. TerpSoccerFan

TerpSoccerFan Member

Jan 14, 2007
    Rome
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A. I don't see the Big Four thing. I think he'd be better served setting his target on a move to a team like Everton or Villa or someone in that range. He doesn't really have international hype, so it would be hard for him to get in with the big clubs unless he started scoring 15-20 goals in a season - and who honestly expects that?

B. The face of US soccer will be Jozy by 2010. Donovan's day might be gone as the "face of the nation." And Dempsey would merely be a hold-over until one of either Adu or Jozy reach their potential. Having seen both countless times as well as in person several times, I'd be putting my money on Jozy Altidore. In the last two years I've seen pretty much the best MLS had to offer in person and outside of DC players, nobody has interested me more and excited me more than Altidore (and that includes Angel, Eddie Johnson, Landon, a few minutes of Beckham, etc.).