Youtube Vids - auto embedding?

Discussion in 'Customer Service' started by Republic of Mancunia, Dec 8, 2008.

1. Republic of Mancunia

Aug 24, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Looks like you've got this feature now with no need for entering youtube tags?

On Youtube there's some kind of option for the original uploader to allow or deny other sites to embed their video. You often get a "sorry, this video is no longer available" message when clicking on it from bigsoccer if they've chosen to deny other sites from viewing it despite the video actually still being physically there on Youtube.

The way round it, if the uploader went with that option was to just post the url on here so that people could click that and visit Youtube to watch the vid.

Now that this auto embedding is on, there's no way of posting the url without it trying to embed and hence no-one can watch the video.

Seems a bit daft to have auto embedding on for that reason, optional tags were fine.

2. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know it's an extra step, but what if youtube linkers were to test their video. If it doesn't work, could they go back into their post and disable the auto parse option?

3. Republic of Mancunia

Aug 24, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    If I'm understanding correctly (and there's a larger chance I'm not), I didn't even realise that was an option 'til just now, I think. :confused:

Right, just tested it. It works, cheers!

Originally what happened was that someone posted an embedded youtube vid which I'd clicked on and watched. Later on, another poster had tried to watch but was getting that "sorry no longer avaliable" message and asked what was originally posted. Having seen it, and as I'm too helpful for my own good, I tried to post the link as opposed to an embedded vid without the youtube tags. I gave up after it tried to embed, telling him to search youtube for it instead.

Either I've screwed round with my settings and that box never used to be checked by default or it's a new feature on Big Soccer's part. Didn't understand what was going on at first and why it wouldn't just let me post a clickable link as it always had done in the past.

Thanks again, certainly an easy way round it.

4. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    I have a name! :p