Youtoober BAMF Thunderf00t versus Ray "Crocaduck" Comfort

Discussion in 'Spirituality & Religion' started by Pathogen, Jul 29, 2009.

1. Pathogen

Pathogen Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Like you care.
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thunderf00t, noted nerd badass of Youtube fame, and Ray "Crocaduck" Comfort square off in a discussion of evolution, religion, faith, and Ray's total misunderstanding of how breeding actually works in a multipart series on Youtube.

You can clearly see how outmatched Comfort is. You can almost hear the hamster wheel grinding in his head at times. I wondered why Thunderf00t wished to have a discussion with Comfort (it's not fair to characterize it as a debate). However, I very pleased to see how cordial both were with each other. I'm not sure I would have had the same level of patience with Comfort's complete willful ignorance on such simple things the difference between infertility and speciation.

Any way, here's Part One.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2FskTKrx40"]YouTube - The Thunderf00t - Ray Comfort discussion (Part 1)[/ame]

Part Seven is my personal favorite for the simple reason that you can see that Comfort completely understands the point Thunderf00t is making, yet will not acknowledge it. It's almost sad.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKJUnZRptIM"]YouTube - The Thunderf00t - Ray Comfort discussion (Part 7)[/ame]

Enjoy.

2. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why?

3. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I like it, I don't view it as an attempt to convince Ray Comfort he's wrong, I view it as an exposition of the problems with his simplistic world view.

It pretty much seems to reveal Comfort is a denialist (as thunderf00t puts it - a person who believes we can't know anything) probably due to an ignorance of science/philosophy and he goes to religion for his answers because he doesn't like I don't know.

I enjoyed the discussions a lot.

4. Pathogen

Pathogen Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Like you care.
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because of what Ombak stated. I'm fairly in-your-face (metaphorically speaking) on message forums. But I take a similar approach to Tf00t in that I much rather ask probing questions that make people like Comfort think about their irrational responses. Similar to my YEC fried, I didn't jump his shit and call him an idiot for his beliefs. I know what they stem from even though there's nothing I can do make his see differently. He responds no differently to my avowed atheism. He knows that any attempt to Bible thump is going to receive a stiff response.

It's best to share our views, do our best to explain why, and leave it at that.

In Tf00t's case, I get the sense that he genuienly likes Comfort; he's stated as much. But that dosn't mean he's not going to ridicule his worldview in his other videos. You'll also understand why he takes a much more humble approach given the situation he was in if you watch his mussings following the discussion.