Youth Yanks Abroad, '97-'00 YOBs: 2018/19 Thread

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Jul 10, 2018.

1. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
  2. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Tim Weah arriving for work at Lille...........

1148955762749837314 is not a valid tweet id

Winoman and butters59 repped this.
  3. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    It looks unlikely that he’ll ever be good enough for the Netherlands, but he is building a good career, so a switch to the USMNT in a few years wouldn’t be a big surprise. I think it’s more likely than Pierce, if USSF is aware of him.

4. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Soto's goals from the friendly yesterday.

1149107115027574786 is not a valid tweet id

'97

1149315536221876225 is not a valid tweet id

TxEx, Pl@ymaker, bballshawn and 2 others repped this.
  5. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    About what we could expect here. I like it. Good club at which to get back on track.

TxEx, Peretz48, ussoccer97531 and 2 others repped this.
  6. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
  7. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Where are all the geniuses who’ve said that Wright isn’t any good? Why isn’t he signing with LA Galaxy II?

Patrick167 repped this.
  8. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    By the way, the current head coach of Venlo was an assistant coach under Berhalter at the Crew. Robert Maaskant. I dont' know if that made him more likely to sign an American youngster or not.

But anyway, Venlo is kinda known for providing opportunities to young players.

9. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    1 year plus an option year, little risk for Venlo. Hopefully, Haji can step up.

frankburgers repped this.
  10. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
  11. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas

TarHeels17, TxEx and Winoman repped this.
  12. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Lots of chatter that Wigan made a transfer bid for Antonee Robinson.
    1149675212155359234 is not a valid tweet id

13. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    More should be made of this, if it happens. There likely will not be a younger captain in Europe's top five leagues this season than McKennie. You could extend that to top ten leagues, and it still may be true.

USSoccerNova repped this.
  14. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Its not really a surprise. Weston captained all of FCD's youth teams. He captained Schalke U19 shortly after he arrived. He's captained USYNTs and even the full USMNT now.

Adams is also potential captain material, and has talked about his desire for that role. It won't surprise me if he wears the armband at some point this season for Leipzig.
    https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2018/12/24/tyler-adams-future-usmnt-captain-my-eyes-are-set

15. kingshark

kingshark Member+

Mar 3, 2006
    Your "good" standard for a 21 year old prospect is sign a loan deal to VVV-Venlo rather than LA Galaxy II? And he didn't even play any minute and show anything to new club, so why not wait and see.

16. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I think you missed the point. Some have said he's not even good enough to be signed at a good level. He's highly criticized among young American footballers. He's played 780 minutes of first team football (at all levels). Mixed success, 2G, 0A, looked good in some games, bad in others. Thats how it is for a lot of young players, especially players who might be a little more raw. Yet, that perspective isn't acceptable. Brenden Aaronson plays 1138 minutes in MLS, 1G, 1A, and he's somehow a big success.

Wright has been very successful at lower levels over larger samples. Over a small sample in pro football, he hasn't been as good, but has shown some good play and is a talented player. Maybe he'll pan out at Venlo, and maybe he won't, but this player has gotten non-stop criticism for a situation (mixed bag in his early first team minutes) that other players are credited for. News emerged that he's higher rated in Europe than those who criticize him claim. Your reflection should be that your assessment might've been wrong, not trying to explain why your criticism is justified.

Patrick167 repped this.
  17. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So much nonstop criticism for Haji!!

Reflect on your sins, haters.

18. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    You and the guy above are only making my point for me. It works as well as tagging you. I wasn't going to mention anyone specifically.

19. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What point?

Haji is rarely mentioned around here. Where's all this criticism?

20. kingshark

kingshark Member+

Mar 3, 2006
    non-stop criticism? Lol. There was actually not many comments around him. And my assessment? He is not good. However, he is much better than LA Galaxy II level. You can figure out these two points are not conflicting.

21. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
  22. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Then how about you hop on over to the thread and posters you have an issue with rather than dragging that crap into here.

Why are you replying to that thread in here?

23. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm really glad that we're having another meta-discussion about the real and perceived slights made by People Online towards players that @ussoccer97531 likes.

xbhaskarx and LuckofLichaj repped this.
  24. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Sergio Dest confirmed in first team preseason training camp for Ajax.
    Folks on twitter noted that he was playing left back in some preseason training videos.

Peretz48, Winoman and Brotheryoungbuck repped this.
  25. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I’m glad you feel the need to say what is and isn’t allowed.

I made one comment. Those who clearly felt what I said applied to them took offense.

No one made any of you reply to what I said. I’m allowed to take a shot at those who ended up being wrong.