Youth Yanks Abroad, ‘97-‘00 YOBs: 2019/20 Thread

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by TheFalseNine, Jul 20, 2019.

1. Nope, you only had misjudged how you are being brought up to the level for the first team. Ability doesnot equate to being ready.
    Donyell Malen was a top talent snatched up by Arsenal, but got impatient with outlook to get into the first team, so he took the chance to go to PSV. However despite being a huge talent he had to acclimatize in the Young squad first to burts into the first team and the Orange squad this year.

Mahtzo1 repped this.
  2. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    '98 forward who was with Sac Republic in the DA and at one US U14 camp in the past was on trial with Salamanca in Spain's third tier last year, same club Leo Sepulveda is at. Silvas definitely played (and scored) for them in December in what seems to be a friendly tournament in Mexico. Salamanca CF is in his bio on IG, so I guess he's still there.

http://sacr.ussoccerda.com/sam/teams/index.php?team=1401592&player=30577696
    https://ligamx.net/cancha/jugador/138106/clay-mathew-silvas

Winoman and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  3. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    He had some injuries and joined the team late in the transfer window. I don’t think either of those things helped.

4. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Dest now linked with Barcelona. He’s a Barcelona fan. We’ve never had a player play for the Barcelona first team.

5. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    French journalist Julien Laurens said PSG has enquired about Dest. I’d provide a link, but I heard it on the ESPN FC Podcast from Thursday.

USSoccerNova repped this.
  6. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    You can add Borussia Dortmund to the list of clubs interested in Dest.

ShaftBrewer repped this.
  7. ShaftBrewer

ShaftBrewer Member+

Jul 18, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Hakimi goes back to Madrid after this season, I think Dortmund is my preferred club if Dest moves. I'd prefer he stayed a year but the RB position would be wide open with Piszczek getting older. They play youth all the time and I think it would be a nice step up and a nice pay increase for him.

ChuckMe92, SCSAutism, DHC1 and 1 other person repped this.
  8. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    We might also need him to convince Reyna to not play for England.

9. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    #784 Clint Eastwood, May 18, 2020
    Last edited: May 18, 2020
    I hate the move with the burning intensity of a thousand suns.
    English Premier League teams/Championship are a good place to move if you're established international and adult professional (Pulisic, etc.). Our success rate of unproven teenage prospects moving to England is horrible, terrible, atrocious. Folks always bring up the several success stories (Jonathan Spector, etc.). Those are by far the exception. Most end up like Luca de la Torre, kinda just hovering and collecting paychecks for years on end. Ten years down the line you ask............what ever happened to....................??

Our success rate of kids moving to England without the ability to get a work permit is even worse. At best you're loaned around for eternity like Erik Palmer-Brown. Or worse yet you end up in limbo like Juan Agudelo.

I don't get it. Why sign for a club that you can't actually play for? It makes no sense to me. OK, if its Arsenal then at least its Arsenal. I guess your have Arsenal on you resume for the rest of your life and that can open doors. But your plan is to be part of a "loan army" from Norwich? That's the agent's recommendation. Norwich. Egads. Sign for the damn Dutch club that's actually invested in your development.

Mahtzo1, Eighteen Alpha, deejay and 3 others repped this.
  10. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--

11. largegarlic

largegarlic Member+

Jul 2, 2007
    I've never seen him play, but from hunting around online a bit, it seems like he was a starter for Anderlecht until he hurt his knee in October. He was just about fit again in March when things got shut down, and one article I found said that Anderlecht expected to slot him back into the starting lineup for the playoffs.

Just going off that, I'd say that a guy who is clearly first choice at Anderlecht would have a pretty decent shot of being a helpful addition to the USMNT roster. I'm happy with Brooks at CB, but after him there's a bunch of serviceable (but not great) options--Ream, Miazga, Zimmerman, Long, Alvarado, etc.

ussoccer97531 and ChuckMe92 repped this.
  12. Has he ever been approached by press or coaches about the US team since I posted about his existance?

13. largegarlic

largegarlic Member+

Jul 2, 2007
    I have no idea about that. That's probably a better question for @ChuckMe92 or @bshredder.

14. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I haven't seen Sandler play either. It seems his career is comparable to Erik Palmer-Brown's. Central defenders of about the same age and size, on loan from Man City, and experience starting in leagues such as Eredivisie and Belgium. 23 is pretty young for a CB, enough time to potentially develop into a starter for a lower-mid table top-flight side. At that age Geoff Cameron was making his MLS debut and Aaron Long was playing in USL. Even if he is no better than a solid starter for Anderlecht who can stay healthy, that's good enough to contend for the USMNT pool. I'd guess USSF is probably aware, although don't know for sure.

largegarlic, ussoccer97531 and DHC1 repped this.
  15. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I don't see why USSF wouldn't try to contact the guy to play for us. At this point, he probably wouldn't be a huge difference maker. Is he likely ahead of someone like Carter-Vickers or Trusty in the pecking order? Absolutely IMO. Even if he's only 2nd or 3rd among the young CB's (and he could be first), I don't see why that would be a bad player to add to the player pool. We can always use more good players.

16. Nope. He has shown his qualities in confrontations with Feyenoord, Ajax and PSV. He's very high regarded by Vincent Kompany, who's someone you might trust when it is about CD quality judgement.
    So, no. He's far from a EPB like guy.
    Edit: his agent is Raiola, which must tell something about his stature too.

ChuckMe92 repped this.
  17. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #792 ChuckMe92, May 23, 2020
    Last edited: May 23, 2020
    Thanks. John Brooks is starting at Wolfsburg but the US does not currently have another top-flight CB after him, just a handful of starters from the English Championship (one you'd know well -- Miazga formerly with Vitesse), MLS, Austria (EPB), and 3. Liga. Sandler at minimum appears to fit into this group, and probably has a higher ceiling than most of them. He seems reasonable for the USSF to recruit since few nations have better CB depth than the Netherlands.

Patrick167 repped this.
  18. :DWe can field a whole team of CD's from top of the range to very good.
    At the moment it sucks to be a very good CD and being Dutch.

ChuckMe92 repped this.
  19. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    How much of each player have you watched play this season?

20. EPB I watched when in the Eredivisie, this season in Austria none.
    Sandler I watched in the Belgian League, but those matches were limited as he soon was injured. He was doing well, considering the Anderlecht team was all over the place for a long phase in the competition.
    Vincent Kompany was a superb CD, but starting to coach with Anderlecht was asking too much.

21. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I don’t know why USMNT fans scapegoat this guy. I’d argue when Pulisic, Adams and McKennie have been on the same field, McKennie has been the most effective of the three. Schalke is a dreadful team and one of the real calamity clubs around Europe. McKennie starts every game for them and is often asked with filling in where there’s a need. In the past two seasons, he’s played every field position except for LB and LM. He may not be a difference making superstar at age 21 to drag along a troubled club, but neither are any of our other players.

1264553576078225410 is not a valid tweet id

Pegasus, SCSAutism and TarHeels17 repped this.
  22. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Every game starter for them. Had a good season. I’ve heard there’s concrete interest in some of the big leagues. Hopefully this summer is when he finally gets a permanent move to a bigger league.

23. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    A review on Sandler’s season from a Anderlecht fan.

ChuckMe92 repped this.
  24. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    McKennie doesn’t fit the eye of fans who like stylish play as he’s more a workhorse/tank player.

that being said, his technical skills are quite good and his long passing is excellent. He freed Matondo with several sweet balls including one that set his directly to the goal.

25. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I haven't seen Sandler play but it's worth noting that he graded as a top-10-overall Eredivisie CB at Zwolle in 2017-18 according to SofaScore, before he made the move to Man City. Slightly higher than Miazga that season at Vitesse. Sandler would be an interesting addition to the US pool and still U23-eligible. Maybe he thinks about holding on to Dutch hopes but I don't think he has any real chance given their depth. He does not have much history with their youth program and was never provisionally tied.