Youth Yanks Abroad, ‘01-‘04 YOBs (and younger): 2020/21 thread

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Jan 28, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SCSAutism

SCSAutism Member

United States
    May 9, 2017
    Says here Konrad to Marseille for 5 million.

2. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--

Winoman, SCSAutism and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  3. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--

4. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    We might as well talk about this here, because he's as good as gone.
    Bayern officials aren't coming over to Texas for doughnuts.
    Goff refers to Justin as a fullback here, he's more likely to play at CB.
    You never know, though. Bayern played Richards all along the backline after all.
    Chris is better in the air. Justin has better technical ability and is much better with the ball at his feet.
    [He's a converted forward after all.]
    It'll be interesting to hear what this price tag is. Bayern got a DEAL, capital D, on Chris Richards.
    Particularly when compared to Bryan Reynolds. Hell, compared to Aaronson and McKenzie.
    The first one was at a discount. One gets the sense that Bayern's going to have to shell out more this time.
    That could be why this has taken a little longer to complete, but it WILL be completed.

Winoman repped this.
  5. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Richards is much improved passing the ball. Che is absolutely behind Richards there, although he’s about three years younger so Che could be better in three years. Richards is also a better athlete and defender at the same age. Too many people make that comparison, and it’s purely lazy. What’s funny is than Jalen Neal is very similar to Chris Richards. Better player than Che, but he has no EU passport and easy access to Bayern Munich.

As to getting a deal done, I wouldn’t be so sure that this will easily get done. FC Dallas played hard ball on Reynolds, and they are asking for a big fee, as Goff mentioned. You’d suspect it gets done, but I think if it was a certainty he wouldn’t have been returned to Dallas.

Patrick167 repped this.
  6. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I don't think there's any doubt that the sides are close. I'm sure they've been negotiating behind the scenes and the Bayern guys don't make the trip over without an expectation that the deal will be completed. [Particularly during this COVID time.]

Indeed................I was trying to compare the players "at the same age."
    Its difficult here, because we're talking about Richards at about the time he moved from Houston to Dallas. He was REALLY raw at first. We remember the doubts on these boards. He was so gangly and awkward at times. No doubt he was athletic, and hadn't filled out yet. That athleticism is what drew Bayern to him. It wasn't until I could see him against good competition at the Dallas Cup that I thought "there may be something more here."

Che seems to me to be quite a different type of CB to Richards. Guys who could have partnered together at FCD for a decade. C'est la vie. Instead we're stuck with a fading-fast Matt Hedges and whatever foreign veteran they can find.

You know what? I still don't understand why we traded Walker Zimmerman...................

Hell, why on Earth did we trade Drew Moor in 2009?

Two high quality draft picks that we traded for no apparent reason.

onefineesq repped this.
  7. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You don't fly to Texas during a pandemic unless you're planning on signing some paperwork. This will get done in the next couple days.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  8. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--

bballshawn and Winoman repped this.
  9. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I love that Marseille opportunity. It just seems like the right-sized step. That club is now owned by an American. Frank McCourt, former owner of the LA Dodgers.

I won't be surprised to see a few elite American youngsters move there in the same way I wasn't surprised to see Roma make a move for a young American.

ussoccer97531, Zinkoff and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  10. frankburgers

frankburgers Member+

May 31, 2016
    Jalen Neal is not better than Justin Che. We don’t have to overthink this.

11. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    mccourt was terrible and sold the dodgers fwiw

12. don Lamb

don Lamb Member+

mine
    United States
    Aug 31, 2017
    Maybe so, but you are "underthinking" it if your idea is simply that Justin Che should be with the senior national team because he is about to be bought by Bayern Munich and might be scooped up by Germany at any minute.

13. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know a lot about Jalen Neal, but I would appreciate your take on why you are so sure that he cannot be or is not better than Che.

14. frankburgers

frankburgers Member+

May 31, 2016
    You can ask the other poster as to why they think Neal is better!

15. frankburgers

frankburgers Member+

May 31, 2016
    Cap tie doesn’t mean he should start next to Brooks in WCQ. Perhaps that delineation is hard to grasp here.

16. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    #441 Clint Eastwood, Jun 15, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2021
    The scuttlebutt out of Germany is that Che will be in pre-season training with Bayern's first team as Nagelsmann wants to work with the young players. If that's the case, he won't be at the Gold Cup.

We're not in the business of predatory cap-tying.
    If that was the case, Berhalter would have done so with Musah at the Nations League.
    Leave that to teams with less class.

17. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    We should be placing multiple players on this list every year.

Winoman repped this.
  18. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Reyna and Musah will still be eligible for this award for another couple years. :)
    They're both only 18, and its a U21 award.

I like it, but.....................Bryan Reynolds?
    Is this based on transfermarkt player values and not performance?

19. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Considering its a 100 name list, there aren't 100 U21 footballers in top leagues that are playing well or well enough. Reynolds is on the list because he's one of few teenagers whose gotten some game time in Serie A. There are other players on the list, like Balogun, that don't play much or don't play well.

Zinkoff repped this.
  20. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    It's a watch list. The Golden Boy is a single recipient, so the 100 or so on this list are people they are watching.

In that way, it's more about potential than just performance.

Also, to @ussoccer97531 's point, you'd be pretty surprised at the low number of teenagers who get high level minutes out there. People always seem to think it's regular for a 18 or 19 year old to play any kind of time, but it's really not.

Patrick167, Zinkoff and Winoman repped this.
  21. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    ‘01

Pl@ymaker and Winoman repped this.
  22. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    I think Americans are so spoiled they just think young players are all over the top leagues and teams and playing big minutes. Even someone like Sargent, at 21, with 70 games in the Bundesliga, who many here think of as a failure, is exceedingly rare.

Balogun is on this list for example and has never appeared in the league. Just early rotated Europa League and Cup games.

Zinkoff, TarHeels17 and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  23. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas

USSoccerNova and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  24. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas

25. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Obviously posted the Tyler Boyd article in the wrong forum :)

Dave Marino-Nachison repped this.