Youth Yanks Abroad, ‘01-‘04 YOBs (and younger): 2019/20 Thread

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by TheFalseNine, Jul 20, 2019.

1. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    #1126 ussoccer97531, Aug 1, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
    Needs a big year.

No American player has ever played for Barcelona or Real Madrid. There's a chance that Konrad could debut for Barcelona next week.

1289638210608549888 is not a valid tweet id

Winoman and USSoccerNova repped this.
  2. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Four young Americans at Wolfsburg now. :) Are we more excited by the prospects at Wolfsburg or at Schalke?

Winoman repped this.
  3. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Winoman and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  4. SCSAutism

SCSAutism Member

United States
    May 9, 2017
  5. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Makes the bench. An American has never played for the first team of Barcelona or Real Madrid. Aside from Fati (been a first team player almost all season), Konrad is the youngest player. He's the only '01 among the Barca B players that made the bench today.

Winoman and gogorath repped this.
  6. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    Messi just scored an insane goal, and Barca is already up 3-1 on aggregate.

Konrad might get in if this gets bad enough.

Ansu Fati is younger than Konrad, though. He's an '02 and still 17. [see you said amongst Barca B players, so yes, true]

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  7. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    And 4-1.

With him and Fati being the forward replacements (I think), and Suarez and Messi being older ... he may actually get on the pitch.

[And VAR took it away ... but it looked good to me.]

8. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  9. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    #1134 ussoccer97531, Aug 8, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2020
    I've been thoroughly unimpressed by this guy in a US shirt. He doesn't look like he belongs. I think this is a good example of how not every youth player playing at a big club in Europe is better than a kid playing at the same level in the USA.

It appears that he's either out of favor or was recently injured.

1292228480432836609 is not a valid tweet id

A player that now probably won't be factoring into the U-20 picture this cycle due to this injury (and the depth we have at LB), but hopefully he can return as soon as possible.

1292109369212100610 is not a valid tweet id

10. Duncan Edwards i miss u

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    You are blinded. You just confirm it.

11. slider4CU

slider4CU Member

Borussia Dortmund
    United States
    Apr 12, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Las always looked both mature and very well coached. He won't have immediate improvement from moving to Europe, hopefully we will hear about him in a couple years.

13. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    In what respect? Do you watch Premier League U-18/U-23 games? You aren’t going to get much of an update on a goalkeeper in a league nobody here watches. He’s playing regularly, and seems to be advancing through the academy at a good pace for his age, so that’s about all we can take from his time at Fulham.

14. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    This makes no sense.

1292469096513241088 is not a valid tweet id

Patrick167 repped this.
  15. Arantes

Arantes Member

Fluminense
    Brazil
    Dec 4, 2018
    It's actually comical but I've seen stranger things

16. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    direction to transfer with the virus looming is out of mls, not in

17. sakibomb523

sakibomb523 Member+

Oct 13, 2009
    Orange County
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Isn't the owner of DC United a partial owner/investor in Swansea?

Arantes and Winoman repped this.
  18. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Actually..............it does make sense. Same ownership group and other ties.
    Not that we have to like it. Premier League clubs buy up young players and find places to stash them. Championship clubs are doing the same. Same concept as Norwich acquiring Sebastian Soto. As you know, i hate the whole concept. I hated it for Soto, and I'll hate it for Kelman too.

I remember comments from Jason Levein that they were going to be sending DCU youngsters to train at Swansea. I haven't really seen it that much, though. Didn't they send Jalen Robinson there for a while? I think so.

Dafydd Evans: The Link Between Swansea City and D.C. United
    https://mlsmultiplex.com/2019/09/03/dafydd-evans-link-swansea-city-d-c-united/

Winoman and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  19. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    1292593004746813441 is not a valid tweet id

ussoccer97531, Winoman and largegarlic repped this.
  20. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    1292871482004189185 is not a valid tweet id

[By the way, I'm not sure I agree about Balogun being a "long shot." Every year that goes by without him breaking into the England senior setup, the more we stay "in it." He's apparently leaving Arsenal. We should keep hammering away at that one. You never know.........................]

21. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    I don't know if I'd call Musah a long shot either, at least on a technicality: He's not provisionally cap-tied, so even if he were of long-term interest to England, we might theoretically be able to snipe him for U20 purposes and roll the dice he sticks around. Balogun's move would be permanent. Obviously this is just one part of the picture but it is what it is.

22. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Exactly. The reality is that England has so many good players that you have to be a real star to be of real interest to their NT or YNT's long-term. By real star I mean Pulisic, Adams, McKennie, Dest, Reyna level where you're playing every week in a top league. CF's that England has that are still YNT eligible include Rashford, Abraham, Greenwood, Brewster, Nketiah. While I don't think CF is a weakness for us, Sargent didn't have a great season, Weah was injured, Soto didn't play, Gioacchini is playing in the second division of France, Ferreira doesn't always even play CF, Ebobisse might never be a top-level striker.

If someone like Balogun is able to get minutes every week in the Premier League or equivalent league, he's probably going to warrant a USMNT call up. For England, he might not even be called into their YNT's if he had the type of season someone like Sargent had.

It's the same for Musah. While I have much less idea how he compares to his competition, they have so many good options. He will have to be really good to stick around in their system. He will warrant a call up to the USMNT much sooner than he would with the English NT.

23. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Musah has captained England before and has been consistently involved in their setup and significantly more involved than Balogun. Yunus only follows one American account in his social media and that is Jack Imperato. It seems like Yunus will be similar to Balugun in not wanting to accept a call up and will especially hold out because he is involved in their setup.

24. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    you have never seen jack imperato recruit

25. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I preface by saying that Kayo always looks better on highlight videos than during full games, but this looks a little better. Simpler, not always trying to make a hero play, playing within his role in the team. Better decisions, as well.

1293939069915992064 is not a valid tweet id