Youth Yanks Abroad, ‘01-‘04 YOBs (and younger): 2019/20 Thread

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by TheFalseNine, Jul 20, 2019.

1. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    First team, you are most likely correct, but he's 14/15, so there's a lot of development left.

Academy, there are some pretty bad players that play at lower levels of good academies, and Borussia Dortmund wouldn't be paying anything to bring him in, if it was true (post above yours suggests its not). It's a free player with some talent. Why not add him if you can?

2. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You’re right. I just wouldn’t bother trying to have a player uproot his family when he realistically isn’t the most talented in his age group

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  3. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I believe this says Johan Gomez has moved up to the Porto B. Hopefully he can stay healthy the upcoming season, and score more goals. I don't know if the club still view him as a potential first team prospect, but if he has another season like the last one, we can be almost certain that they won't.

STANDFAST repped this.
  4. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    Norwich a terrible club? Gonna have to hear the reasoning behind this

They are relatively well run and will sell a couple of players for large ish amounts of cash.

All their players have relegation pay reduction clauses

5. Duncan Edwards i miss u

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    He just doesn't have a clue.

6. Duncan Edwards i miss u

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Godfrey, lewis, araon, cantwell to name a few who are excellent youth player produce by norwich. they all develop and making progress under the guidance of Fark. (please ignore my typo. I am Manchester united fan, not a norwich fan. thank you)

7. bballshawn

bballshawn Member+

Feb 5, 2014
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    yeah I was just thinking of this. Norwich has so great young talent. Especially Cantwell.

8. charlie kennan

charlie kennan Red Card

Feb 23, 2020
    how do we know martinez didn’t decline a contract

9. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Why would he decline an academy contract? I see no real downsides to it.

10. Arantes

Arantes Member

Fluminense
    Brazil
    Dec 4, 2018
    FCD did have plans for Collodi but not immediate. As one can infer from their university choice, academics are important to his family. The Jesse Gonzalez situation is throwing a wrench in club/family original plans.

Agree with your point on past YNT callups being moot sometimes; other times past history finds its way to prove us right/wrong ++Ayo Akinola consistently in the YNT setup from an early age and people are now surprised about him++. Collodi is currently in the U20 player pool, Wilson is not..that's very current. Best of luck to both keepers and your family.

11. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    #1061 Clint Eastwood, Jul 18, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2020
    I have a long-standing hatred of Norwich for reasons that we don't need to go into much detail about. :) Well, it has to do with my father's love of Ipswich. We'll leave it at that. You guys can figure that one out. I'm not an Ipswich fan, but everybody on my father's side of the family is. I tell them my team is FC Dallas, and that seems like a safe place to be. So yes, I'm instructed to tell everybody that'll listen that Norwich City is a TERRIBLE club. Actually, I have zero clue why Sebastian Soto is going there. Zero. Tomkinson I don't have an issue with one way or the other.

STANDFAST repped this.
  12. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It looks like Nico Carerra has signed to Holstein Kiel of the 2 Bundesliga

KUSA77, Sandon Mibut, TarHeels17 and 3 others repped this.
  13. charlie kennan

charlie kennan Red Card

Feb 23, 2020
  14. upprv

upprv Member

Aug 4, 2004
    So how do we keep track of the progress of these young Americans going overseas into academies?

15. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    upprv repped this.
  16. SCSAutism

SCSAutism Member

United States
    May 9, 2017
  17. charlie kennan

charlie kennan Red Card

Feb 23, 2020
    it’s the bundesliga 2 team

18. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’ll take the L. The hashtag he put on his tweet made it look like he wasn’t going to Holstein Kiel

19. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    A Bundesliga 2 team that a few years ago (2018) was in the promotion playoff against Wolfsburg.

They're a historically important club in Northern Germany, but its been a long time since they were in the top division in Germany. Not since WWII? I'll have to check that.

This past year they were solidly mid-table.

20. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    By the way, when I think of HOlstein Kiel I think of Marc Heider.
    He's got to be the most underappreciated yank abroad of this era. Still going strong.
    upload_2020-7-20_14-1-26.png

21. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    #1071 Clint Eastwood, Jul 20, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2020
    I find his decision interesting.
    He spurned some big Mexican clubs to get his foot into Germany at an "unsexy" Bund2 team. Some thought went into that...........................
    https://3rddegree.net/carrera-holsteinkiel

Carrera had offers from North Texas Soccer Club (the development affiliate of FC Dallas), Santos Laguna, Pachuca, Tigres, and Pumas but has spurned those offers for a club where his advisors see a pathway to the first team and a possession-based style.

As a fun exercise try to think of the domestically-based USYNTers that "made it" after signing their first deal out of an academy at a Bund2 team. Let's make in the DA era, so that'll be since 2007. This is definitely the road less travelled. Good luck to him.

22. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The last American to start their pro career at a 2.Bundesliga club and "make it" might be Bobby Wood (1860). Before that...Steve Cherundolo?

Subotic's breakout year was in the 2.Bund with Mainz, but they were a top division club when he first signed with them.

Of course, the sample size isn't nearly as big as the prospects who signed in the Bund.

Stupid_American repped this.
  23. Arantes

Arantes Member

Fluminense
    Brazil
    Dec 4, 2018
    In that one paragraph, there's enough information worth discussing. Yes, some "interesting" thought went into that......but to me, he really had no choice:

- How many players has his agency placed in Mexico recently, ever? It's possible his advisors had to go with the market they know best but come on, Carrera is no Richards at 18.They are currently having a hard time placing Richards on a different team at 20, do you think it was easy to place Carrera anywhere?. I do buy the part about the advisors.

- Mexico's next age group is U20. Does he really think he has a chance to start there for any of those clubs *especially one he snubbed in favor of Dallas*?
    I don't buy the multiple offers in Mexico for a second.

- Carrera played less than 10 minutes all of last season in USL1. An offer was unlikely but if one was extended, under what conditions? It's obvious Dallas never had any immediate plans for him. If you doubt it for a second, check out this weekend's NTSC game and see who will be starting *worse case rostered* as a CB.

To each their own...let's hope he makes it. Soccer is about opportunity and he has one in front of him where expectations aren't super high. Historically, Carrera does like to take the roads less traveled.

24. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    #1074 Clint Eastwood, Jul 21, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2020
    Don't get me wrong. I have no issue with his decision. I don't think his lack of minutes last season with NTSC has anything to do with it, though. Last year NTSC often used Brecc Evans, also a homegrown, and Callum Montgomery with that team. First priority will always be to players under contract. Both of them are now going out on loan (although it seems Montgomery hasn't left yet). If he had signed that NTSC deal then it would have been Nico that would have gotten minutes. It would have been Nico playing there as a stepping stone up the ladder.

But I understand that the NTSC deal isn't enough to overcome the dream of playing in Europe. If they had offered a Chris Richards-sized FCD first team deal, then maybe this would be a different result. But a team like FCD can only offer so many of those deals. They have to pick and choose which youngsters to push hardest for. I suspect they paid Tanner Tessman quite a bit to overcome his other opportunities. It had to be a significant first team deal.

By the way, I am increasingly not a fan of young American players heading down to Mexico. Every single player that's left the FCD academy and headed down to Mexico........................has just gotten caught in the machine. We quickly forget they even existed. Anybody heard from Diego Letayf recently? No. So I'm OK with Carrera passing on those opportunities if they existed. And I think his advisors are correct if they believe a path to first team football there is treacherous.

FCD has developed a lot of young players thru first team opportunities. One position they have not done so well in is centerback. Chris Richards. Sure, but he only played for them for a brief period. After that its a list of characters like London Woodberry, Jordan Cano, Kris Reaves, Aaron Guillen, etc. I guess we give them credit for Moises Hernandez, who has 15 caps for Guatemala. He plays all along the backline, but I think he's best at LB. They've had better luck drafting CBs...............as two recent draftees have senior USMNT caps. Zimmerman and Hedges. Arguably their best draft pick ever Drew Moor is 7th right now in most MLS minutes played.

By the way, I was looking at the 2005 draft the other day. A player not selected in the Superdraft, but taken on a flyer in the Supplemental Draft.............................was Jeff Larentowicz. He's now 5th in most MLS minutes played. Another player not selected in the 2005 Superdraft? Chris Wondolowski.

If you want to feel old, a player picked in the first round in 2005 was Scott Sealy. His son is now in the first team of FCD. But I digress......................

Stupid_American repped this.
  25. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yup. I've tracked a lot of Americans in Mexico — some well-known YNTers, most not. The attrition rate is insane.

Allowing a client to sign an academy deal at Tigres is straight-up professional malpractice.

Patrick167 and Sandon Mibut repped this.