Youth Soccer in Japan

Discussion in 'Japan' started by tunnvar, Jan 19, 2010.

1. tunnvar

tunnvar New Member

Jan 15, 2010
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Does anybody know anything about youth soccer in Japan for boys and girls?

What opportunities do the kids get at youth level? Is there professional coaching in local clubs or do they have to be affiliated with J League or L League teams.

Can anybody coach at the youth level or do you have to have certain coacing qualifications?

Do all pro clubs have Academy teams?

Any info would be great, thanks all.

2. AKITOD

AKITOD Member+

Apr 5, 2007
    Hobart, Aust
    Club:
    JEF United Ichihara
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Every single J-club has to have a youth academy going, its a criteria to get into J2. They all have sides from U12,15,18 & youth I think.

3. tunnvar

tunnvar New Member

Jan 15, 2010
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Excellent thanks. Do you think the Women's L-League has a similar set-up?

4. goru_no_ura

goru_no_ura Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Miyako of Zipang
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    In a few cases I know, U12boys is mostly like a pre-team: kids play in their neighborhood's clubs, and practice with the J.League club once per week. They also play some tournaments with the J.League club every year, but very few compared to local clubs that play 2-3 per months. I was at one featuring Vissel, Sagan, Bellmare and Sanga -- None of the above made it to the final.
    Still, clubs have of course some of the best kids around and Nagoya Grampus was U12 champion this last season.

There are also "Tore-sen," prefectural selections at basically every age.

5. football-tech

football-tech New Member

Feb 14, 2010
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Hi, I'm new to this site but read your message below regarding youth tournaments in Japan. Can you let me know where and when these tournaments are played or maybe a website? I'm the manager of a youth academy in Perth, Australia and would like to bring my squads over to Japan to compete.
    Thanks.

6. stefanole

stefanole Member

Mar 26, 2009
    Hiroshima
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC
    Why not contact the JFA directly? I imagine sanctioned tournaments are probably supervised by them anyway, so it would ultimately be their call.

7. football-tech

football-tech New Member

Feb 14, 2010
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Thanks Stefanole. I've found JFA website but no email contact details on there. I'll keep looking. Cheers.

8. goru_no_ura

goru_no_ura Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Miyako of Zipang
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    tech, how old are your kids? Do you play 8-a-side or 11-a-side?
    And I think the main question should be: can you afford it (money).

At the youth (elementary) level there are small or medium tournaments basically every weekend. The big tournies are harder to get in because they're mostly prefectural (=team of the same prefecture) and also run over many weekends.

Let me know if you have any specific question! I once brought a Hawaiian team to Japan. It was tough, but also fun.

9. football-tech

football-tech New Member

Feb 14, 2010
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Hi Goru, the academy players I would bring on tour would be age 11 to 13 - three squads. At those ages, they play 11-a-side here, full size pitch. Cost wise, I have obtained flight prices and will source accommodation etc. Each player pays their own way. Generally a lot of parents come along on tour. We had 38 players and 50 parents attend our last tour to Sydney. Our academy is made up of selected players, trials are held and the better players in each age group are selected. Some are retained the following year, some released or retrial. We would be looking for the best competition but would only be able to stay over two weekends at most - maybe two tournaments? Do the J-League clubs run the tournaments? The champions you mentioned, Nagoya Grampus, do they host a tournament?

10. goru_no_ura

goru_no_ura Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Miyako of Zipang
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    My son and his club played in a very high-level for 11yo organized by Vissel Kobe, so I believe those tournament do exist. I believe what you should try to get in touch with the clubs and see if any of them is interested in an exchange. Do you have in your entourage anybody who speaks Japanese...?

11. HawaiiSonics

HawaiiSonics New Member

Nov 15, 2010
    bump. anyone have any experience travelling to japan? looking to take a u14 boys team over from hawaii. any tips/suggestions/contacts would be greatly appreciated. mahalo.

12. goru_no_ura

goru_no_ura Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Miyako of Zipang
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Hi there. I took a Hawaii U12 to Japan in 2007. Have contacts.
    Please mail me in private at: gorunoura@japanesesoccer.net