Youth Policy 2012 --Who's in the Pipeline?

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by total_football, Mar 25, 2012.

1. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    i saw the potential there (with regards to his delivery) but there was, understandably, hesitations and i think uncertainties (i would still prefer him out there to djourou).
    come now. while i've always credited sagna's offensive ability (i think he's technically very solid) more than most after his recovery (after that year and a half funk after his brother's death), the right side has looked more offensively prolific only because of how bad clichy was/looked. :D
    just what it seems like to me. i rate coquelin more than frimpong (both because of development level and style) but it feels like wenger sees it the other way. coquelin didn't get to sniff the lineup unless/until injuries completely decimate the team where frimpong was routinely coming off the bench late game.

2. Tonerl

Tonerl Member+

Arsenal
    May 10, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just look at how much we attack down the right versus down the left. We are heavily biased to that side and even more so when Sagna is healthy.

I can see why you might say that, because it may have been the case at one time, but Wenger decided to loan Frimpong and keep Coquelin.

3. Tonerl

Tonerl Member+

Arsenal
    May 10, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You may want to look at how heavily qualified my statement was again, but whatever.

4. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    not necessarily arguing with you, just bringing up a possible alternate possibility: i wonder how much of that might be because walcott - the usual right-side attacker - is more frequently the attacker staying wide where gervinho - the usual left-side attacker (as of pre-ACN - tended to cut in more?
    i can see where you're coming from. that injury was such a shame because so much of frimpong reminds me of a younger song that i can't help the thought of frimpong with the kind of progress song had with his loan. :(

5. Romfordray

Romfordray Member+

Oct 24, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We have to find a replacement for Sagna in a couple of years anyway. The dude is turning 30 next year. Big shoes to fill. I like both Yennaris and Jenkinson. Jenkinson is more physically ready but Yennaris is almost like young Sagna! Tenacious little fuccer plus Arsenal DNA.

6. Tonerl

Tonerl Member+

Arsenal
    May 10, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yennaris is really a midfielder, though. I don't think he has the specific qualities that Wenger likes in a fullback.

Realistically, I think we'll be buying one more right-sided fullback in summer of 2013 or 2014. If Jenkinson develops well, it will be another youngster to act as understudy. If he stalls a little bit or has more injuries, it might be an experienced player ready to play right away.

7. Super Llama

Super Llama Member+

May 21, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Don't forget that Arsene has converted a lot of midfielders into defenders. Gibbs was playing mostly at the left wing before he got his start in the first team. Kolo played in central midfield for a while too...

8. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Yennaris is on loan now, so lets see if he is playing midfield or right back

9. Silva 5

Silva 5 Member+

Mar 10, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    cashley started off as a midfielder too, no?

10. Super Llama

Super Llama Member+

May 21, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Think him, Clichy and Traore played their fair share of left wing.

Arsene seems to like to play players wider and further up field than where they'll eventually be (JFW, Ox, aforementioned leftbacks)

11. Tonerl

Tonerl Member+

Arsenal
    May 10, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mostly examples of wide players ending up at fullback and central players at center half.

12. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    i like yennaris a lot (and think he could do the job) but i think he's going to lack the speed that wenger likes out of his fullback. he moved eastmond out of that position because of that.

13. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Eastmond was always a central midfielder

14. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    i thought they had him out as a right-back for more than a year before wenger nixed it?

EDIT: as far as i can tell, he was originally a central midfielder as a youth who they moved to right-back for the U18 but, then, moved back to central midfield in the reserve because he lacked what wenger considers sufficient speed for the position.

15. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    My impression was that Yennaris is definitely much quicker than Jenkinson and that he may be faster too.

16. Fitzgerald#11

Fitzgerald#11 Member

May 23, 2007
    Calgary
    Jenkinson needs a full year on loan. I thought for sure that would of been the case this season though with Eboue guess we had no choice. If they do buy Ventrogen and also have Coq that should be enough cover for Sagna and allow Jenk to play full time somewhere else

17. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    he's definitely smaller and shorter too as well! :cool:

18. TxTechGooner

TxTechGooner we're having fun here, no?

Feb 24, 2003
    are you doing a bit?

19. TxTechGooner

TxTechGooner we're having fun here, no?

Feb 24, 2003
    i swear jenkinson is our Bebe.
    make-a-wish foundation-esque.

i never felt as bad for a player as that game at old trafford.
    Wenger should not put a guy in that position when he clearly is over his head.

20. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    Which is why he's quicker. In general, size and quickness are inversely related.

21. Munchlaxatives

Aug 13, 2008
    Houston
    I have to disagree with you here, I thought Jenkinson had a good run early in the season.

We don't have a Bebe signing. Even Francis Jeffers scored a goal.

22. CRASH 4 ARSENAL

Jan 26, 2006
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Chamakh was holding the pipeline.

23. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Park?

24. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    much like franny, brother park has scored!

not, y'know, always when he wants to, i suppose.

25. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Has he actually played for us in the league, let alone scored? I mean, the CC against a League 1 side probably shouldn't count, no?