Youth players in England (Whitbread, Simek, Sam)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by dheck, Dec 23, 2002.

1. dheck

dheck Member

Sep 20, 1999
    Chapel Hill, NC, USA
    Just did some catching up on young YAs in England, who all seem to be doing pretty well:

I believe Zak Whitbread has been injured, but just came back to play a second half for Liverpool U-19s.

Monday, November 18th, 2002
    Tottenham 2-3 Chalton
    Sam came on at 46'

Wednesday, December 18th, 2002
    Charlton 1-1 Ipswich
    Sam came on at 75'

Arsenal 1-1 Watford
    FA Premier Reserve League
    Monday 25th November
    Simek came on at 67'

Coventry City 1-1 Arsenal
    FA Barclaycard Premier Reserve League
    Wednesday 11th December 2002
    Simek on subs bench, DNP

Tottenham Hotspur 0-3 Arsenal
    FA Premier Reserve League
    Monday 16th December 2002
    Simek came on at 78'

2. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Three to look for in the new year -- signings not announced but rumored (with varying degrees of certainty):

Jon Spector, Manchester United
    Danny Karbassiyoon, Arsenal
    Richie Frank, Arsenal

And five others who are there now:

James Bishop, Peterborough
    Jay Denny, Stoke City
    Jemal Johnson, Blackburn Rovers
    Ian Joy, Kidderminster Harriers
    Tom Parratt, Birmingham City

3. bojendyk

bojendyk New Member

Jan 4, 2002
    South Loop, Chicago
    Riche Frank

I haven't heard about this guy. Anyone know anything about him?

4. banbaseball

banbaseball Member

Oct 10, 2000
    East of the Bay
    any more data on these guys ie. prev. clubs, pictures, etc.?

5. Crazy_Yank

Crazy_Yank Member

Jan 8, 2001
    Matamoros, Mexico
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tom Parrat is from the same highschool and youth club that I came out of. He is an excellent midfielder. His father played for England's University team before immigrating to the US. I know he played several seasons in Detriot in the NASL and MISL.

6. dheck

dheck Member

Sep 20, 1999
    Chapel Hill, NC, USA
    Tom Parratt is a U-17.

Not a lot of info on the BCFC U-17s on their website--Fixtures, results, and very brief match reports.

I did see that Parratt scored off a header in BCFC's 4-1 victory over Everton a few weeks ago.

He also scored the lone goal in a 1-3 loss at Sheffield United.

Both reports describe him playing in midfield.

7. dheck

dheck Member

Sep 20, 1999
    Chapel Hill, NC, USA
    A little more info on, and a picture of, Jemal Johnson here. (This is pretty old, so many may have seen it already.)

8. GersMan

GersMan Member

May 11, 2000
    Indianapolis
    My understanding is that Richie Frank was NOT offerred a contract after the 2-week trial he underwent with Arsenal in August. Regrettably, he was injured fairly early during the trial. Typically, they will continue to keep tabs on the player, and I'm sure the trial will alert other Euro clubs to the player, who by all accounts is a great prospect, an attacking mid type, great technique.

9. dcufan1984

dcufan1984 Member

Feb 17, 2002
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    johnson was also at man u for a year or so...

10. beineke

beineke New Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Great news that Whitbread is healthy again. Reportedly, the US U-20's want him to join the team for the upcoming World Youth Cup.

11. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On a previous thread somebody mentioned that he was delairing England as his national team choice.

12. Pagefan

Pagefan Member

Aug 28, 2001
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I dont think Whitbred has officially declared his intentions, though it would appear he is keeping his options open, so to speak.

Again, nothing has been officially said as far as I know but it seems to me he'd accept an England call up today if he got it. With that in mind I'm beginning to doubt that he will play with the U-20's next year, as he seems to be a relatively decent prospect. My feeling is that if he plays with the U.S. it'll be when he's relatively sure he has no shot with England. Or he could have no interest in the U.S. at all. Anyway, hopefully he(or someone who has more information) will prove me wrong in the immediate future.

13. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    whitbre(a)d has already been on a u.s. roster, so he has shown some inclination to play for the u.s. note the following from the u.s.s.f. site in july:

U.S. UNDER-23s HEAD TO ENGLAND FOR FOUR-GAME TOUR: The U.S. Under-23 Men’s National Team left yesterday for Huddersfield, England, where they will play the reserve teams of four professional clubs....Below is the upcoming schedule and the roster for the trip to England:

Aug. 1: Bolton Wanderers Reserves
    Aug. 3: Huddersfield Town Reserves
    Aug. 5: Crew Alexandria Reserves
    Aug. 7: Manchester United Reserves

Goalkeepers (2): Doug Warren (Clemson), Jason White (Princeton);
    Defenders (8): Nelson Akwari, Ian Joy (Kidderminster FC – Scotland), Ricky Lewis (Clemson), David Stokes (North Carolina), Scott Thompson (UCLA), Zach Whitbread (Liverpool – England), ....

14. subbuteo

subbuteo New Member

Dec 17, 2002
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    dheck posted a link earlier that indicates he was with Man. United for about 4 years

just reading Johnson's comments from that link he sounds pure English with his "lads" and "getting on"

What do you think the chances are of capping him?

15. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    have you heard friedel recently? i would never guess he is from bay village, ohio...

16. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Johnson's been in the UK since he was five or six, so I'm not surprised that he "sounds English."

As for Whitbread, seems pretty clear that he is treating all this as a career decision. While he may indeed favor England, seeing as the US is clearly very interested he may see an opportunity to move up the ranks to senior status more quickly and have a better chance of playing in the Olympics and World Cups because of our relatively small player pool, especially at youth levels.

He wouldn't lose UK/EU player status by accepting a US cap... It probably comes down to how much the USSF is willing to do for a player of his quality (whatever that is) seeing as he's unlikely to skip much Liverpool time for domestic camps with college kids or youth friendlies.

I bet that if we qualify for the Olympics and he's offered a roster spot, he'd take it. Not sure about the World Youth Championship but I'm sure it's on his mind.

17. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    from dave marino-nachison:
    "He wouldn't lose UK/EU player status by accepting a US cap"

are you saying that even if whitbre(a)d plays for the u.s. in a fifa event like the olympics or world youth championships he still won't be cap tied to us?

18. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    No. I'm not knowledgeable about the FIFA youth rules you describe -- I'm simply pointing out that if you qualify for an EU passport (as a US citizen), you don't lose it just because you become cap-tied to the US.

19. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    if you play in a fifa sanctioned event (youth or senior level) currently, you are cap-tied to 'said' country you played with...

i know a few months ago there were some rumblings about fifa and a possile change to those rules, allowing a younger player to change his 'country' when he gets older, according to some when he/she is of more sound mind to make such a decision...