Youth Academy as a business model

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by yabo, Jun 5, 2010.

1. yabo

yabo Member+

Jun 1, 2000
    Poolesville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. UlyssesGWashington

DC United
    Sep 9, 2004
    DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good article, but I must confess that--given this was the New York Times--I was secretly hoping to see a reference to the book "Infinite Jest." Then again, that was about a tennis academy.

3. Diceson

Diceson Member

Dec 21, 1999
    Shit, if the DCUntied braintrust actually thought about it, it would open an academy for people over the age of 35-years old.

Think about it, charge about $1,000 per 3 credits . . . .
    12 credits each "semester" . . . .

4 semesters for a "certificate," which happens to be sanctioned by MLS, USSF, and FIFA (make it the US equivalent of Univ of Liverpool's "Degree of Footie" . . . . Heaven forbid that the school would ever be sanctioned by the NCAA!

That's about $35K each frustrated Internet Nuts (or Soccer Dads living vicariously through their kids) . . . .

Shit, that pays for your youth academy if you have 7 people sign up each year. . . . .

Throw Etcheverry at them for a couple of 15 week classes on "tactics" . . .

Maybe get a couple of Jurgen K's "guest appearances" on "leadership" . . . .

4. MattMathai

MattMathai BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 28, 2004
    Annapolis
    If they offer classes on being a better goalpost, I'm in.

5. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    This is in the Sunday NYTimes magazine

Next article is about the faces of the next generation of youth soccer in america - All about kids either born overseas or here of first-generation immigrants - Including one Samir Badr now at FC Porto (Portugal) - Samir was Hamid's backup at the DC United Academy - But none of that is mentioned in the photo spread - And neither are Andy Najar or Graye

6. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am only a devotee of OTC. :)