You're the President, what to do?

Discussion in 'Finance, Investing & Economy' started by AngryMobRun, Nov 12, 2008.

1. AngryMobRun

AngryMobRun Member

Jul 22, 2007
    Houston/Dallas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So Obama has been elected president during a heavy recession and Americans believe he can help reverse our crisis. Some say the president really has no control over the economy, others say we are doomed regardless b/c the crisis is global. This may be our first real depression since the '30s but this is just the pre-stage. Some say the president will continue Bush's policies until the storm passes because (let's be honest) under his administration the USA recovered from Enron and 9/11. Others say his policies failed and he has dug us into a hole. What can/will Obama do to halt, recover, or even reverse our recession? Or are we all just panicking? This thread is to discuss ways of improving the United States economy. I already have a few small boosts I would like to see that probably won't happen.

1) Close down our military bases in East Asia.

Everyday i see thousands of American marines pump $100s into the Japanese economy for 5$ a drink (at least it's rude to tip in this country.)
    Furthermore, while at a utility meeting last year, I discovered we spend $50,000 a day for Japanese contractors to paint our buildings, and there are dozens more contracting companies.
    We also pay millions of dollars each year to have our bases on their territory and somebody's property.
    Lastly, millions of dollars in supermarket items are shipped here from the USA and the shipping and handling charge is at the taxpayer expense.

Why not have all of this money pumped into our own economy? Our presence in this theatre serves as a threat to North Korea, it scares the Chinese into never invading Taiwan, and we often train with Philippine troops that have an Islamic insurgency in their country.

Solution
    Sell more weapons to Taiwan, South Korea, and Japan. Wipe out the Islamic insurgency (guerillas) in the South Philippines on our way out of here to California in exchange for some exclusive trade rights (you know they've asked us to do this before.)
    It also probably wouldn't hurt to close down a few of our bases in Western Europe.

2) No Anti-Missile Defense in Eastern Europe.

Now the whole idea itself really isn't too bad b/c it is advancing our technology which is always a huge economic boom. But strategically, what is it doing for us besides protecting Western Europe? What about our own defense? You know if the Russians wanted to nuke the USA, they would launch their missiles over the North Pole, no through poland.

Solution
    I say we have an anti-missile defense built in Canada or the northern USA b/c it would be politically (in some ways), strategically, and economically more beneficial to Americans.

3) Stop sending aid to countries that really do not help us much.

So were sending economic aid to Israel, North Korea, Africa, etc.

First, Israel is a big boy that can take care of itself while maybe the Saudis would be less pissed off at us. The only drawback I can see from cutting off their handout is that bin Laden would make a speech and actually believe his terrorism worked on us.

Second, North Korea? Yea, we send humanitarian aid to them so the totalitarian regime can spend more money on their military.

Third, other stupid reasons to send aid. In 2003 Angola endorsed our use of force in Iraq. Turkey wouldn't let us use their bases. We took $15 billion in aid from Turkey and gave it to Angola.

Solution
    Give that money to me so I can start an American business or to your son's school so he can develop a software program.

I know these ideas all focus around the same theme of foreign policy and America first, but I'm really just throwing ideas out there. I'm sure there are 100s of things we can do that focus on the debt, credit crisis, stimuli, etc. It would be really interesting to here other policies that you believe could really work or help just a little.

2. Txtriathlete

Txtriathlete Member

Aug 6, 2004
    The American Empire
    Dissolve the FED.

3. extremegamer

extremegamer Member

Jun 28, 2007
    East Asia is a highly tense region with very strong ethnic rivalries. I was always in support of a nuclear-armed South Korea and Japan so that the region can balance out the unfair and uneven Chinese and Russian hegemony that challenges nearby Asian countries and the US.

This way, if the US has to leave Asia and no longer exercise its control there, then there won't be a single rival country that can easily take the place of the US in the Asian region.

This doesn't have immediate impact on the American economy but it would benefit the US in the long run if it can hold rival nations at bay using likewise tactics.

Yes, the world today is more integrated and many different countries are aware of each other. But the overall concept is unchanged. A country can't be wealthy, powerful, and prosperous if it can't compete against other countries.

4. NYC_COSMOS

NYC_COSMOS BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Presidential Things to do:

1. Rebuild Russia to the communistic Superpower that it once was. Let them run half the world, like it used to be. We can then return to ecomony building prowess.

2. Close NO BASES. Do you want them to attack us tomorrow? There are many countries that would attack us tomorrow if they felt we were weak. Not that I think that they would take us down but they would inflict damages and death that we do not need as a nation.

3. Have fun, be nice and export our culture. Receive in return.

5. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nationalization Gets a New, Serious Look - N.Y. Times