You're not dead to me, Fredo: Morales at Dusseldorf

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by smithfan, Sep 24, 2006.

1. DeCoverley

DeCoverley Member

Aug 9, 2007
    San Francisco
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Morales with a great cross that is converted. 1-0.

2. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    He played somewhat more forward than usual. Liked the assist but feel he was less effective in that position disrupting the midfield game. He does better when his defensive duties are top priority, IMO.

LouisianaViking07/09 and edcrocker repped this.
  3. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  4. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    sXeWesley, Maxvall and Gacm32 repped this.
  5. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    In the last couple of years he's become a terrier in midfield, always there interfering with the rivals' play. Fredo has very good stamina (unless he's just coming back from injury).

Maxvall repped this.
  6. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    @bshredder profile:

http://www.americansoccernow.com/ar...e-morales-ready-to-contribute-to-the-u-s-team

“It's not that I was at my house, for example, the whole day hoping somebody calls me but I was just trying to prepare myself mentally for everything,” Morales recalled. “And I just got a text from an American number: ‘this is Gregg Berhalter, do you have a minute to talk?’...He just told me that I deserve to come in and just be a part of the team. He was just trying to explain to me his idea of soccer. The idea how he wants us as a team to improve. It was a really good conversation we had. I was really excited to come here to meet him personally. It's been a good few days so far.”

7. KicksNgiggles

KicksNgiggles Member

Aug 18, 2016
    BHM
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh lord..

8. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I don't doubt Beerholder has a reasonably decent idea of soccer. He seems smart and has played under a couple decent managers, from ten Cate to Bruce to Francis (as well as some dogs, tbf). He simply has not had enough experience testing those "ideas." Or adjusting those ideas to folks with better ideas.

9. KicksNgiggles

KicksNgiggles Member

Aug 18, 2016
    BHM
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1559 KicksNgiggles, Sep 5, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2019
    I just hope he plays him in his natural position. And I think your last sentence is key.

freisland repped this.
  10. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Hmm... so Morales at RB?

KicksNgiggles and Dr.Phil repped this.
  11. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    The best thing that happened to Morales was MLS scheduling.

12. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now that I think about it, you are probably correct.

Sam Hamwich repped this.
  13. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  14. felloveranddidanadu

Plymouth Argyle FC
    Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Frogs
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looked really bad in real time, 3 weeks seems like a very good result if true

15. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I turned off the game at the 90 minute mark. What happened to him?

16. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Strained right groin according to USSF.

It would be interesting to see stats on it, but it seems to me that guys on these longer flights pick up more muscle strain type injuries. I guess MLS would be the perfect data set for seeing if that's true.

Hope he heals well and fast.

https://www.si.com/soccer/2019/09/08/alfredo-morales-usmnt-usa-injury

17. felloveranddidanadu

Plymouth Argyle FC
    Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Frogs
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thought it was an abductor injury when I saw it. He seemed to go down without any contact, was clearly in a lot of pain and was clutching his lower stomach area. Had to be stretchered off with his head in his hands

LouisZ repped this.
  18. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whe it rains, it pours. I thought he played with passion. He missed a few passes that he should have made. Getting caught in open field is not where you want him to be. I hope he has a quick recovery.

19. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    KicksNgiggles and Winoman repped this.
  20. felloveranddidanadu

Plymouth Argyle FC
    Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Frogs
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He and a fit and feisty Duane Holmes will add some missing ingredients methinks

21. Thundering165

Thundering165 Member+

North Carolina FC
    United States
    May 1, 2017
    Raleigh
    You couldn't fault Morales' fight, which is more than we can say for a lot of our DMs recently. He wasn't a perfect player but he provided an edge that we've lacked recently. Hopefully he makes a quick recovery and we can see him in games that count for something.

Maxvall and Winoman repped this.
  22. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    In a set-up where he can be effective. If Beerholder insists on some sort Morales/Wes/Trapp or similar midfield, Morales (and the US) will disappoint against decent to good competition.

He's not that guy. He needs an AM-type in front of him to be most effective - just look at his club set-up.

superdave repped this.
  23. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interview:

https://www.express.de/sport/fussba...in-heiss-auf-die-hertha--33262978?dmcid=sm_em

He was one of the best Fortunas in the first games. His running strength was missing because of a muscle injury from an international match. Will Alfredo Morales now return surprisingly quickly? The game against his youth club Hertha BSC motivates the US boy even more to be back.

In addition to Morales, there could be one goalkeeper Zack Steffen. Alfredo raves about his teammate from the US national team: "Zack holds for us unbelievable. He's the best keeper in the league for me right now. "

Together, the US boys want to rock Berlin on Friday.

ChicagoVT, Gacm32 and glutton4Bolts repped this.
  24. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for finding and translating this. I was bummed when Morales got hurt. He had been kind of a forgotten USMNT candidate playing in top-flight Euro. I have seen all of Fortuna's league games this season and he was one of their best players to start the season... and they have certainly missed him. More importantly, he was one of the only USMNT players that seemed to be fighting hard against Mexico in the friendly. He really had a chip on his shoulders that I think was missing in some of the other players. I understand why the injury would negate a call-up this go-around... I am sure Fortuna was against it this time considering where he is in his recovery and where they are in the table. I really hope he can return today... it would be a pleasant surprise.

Gacm32, Winoman and DHC1 repped this.
  25. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Winoman repped this.