You're not dead to me, Fredo: Morales at Dusseldorf

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by smithfan, Sep 24, 2006.

1. Vegas_Soccer

Vegas_Soccer Member

Apr 4, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Kool Herc

Kool Herc Member

Oct 17, 2008
    Dallas
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    does he play center mid or center back?

4. Lascho

Lascho Member+

Sep 1, 2008
    Hannover, Germany
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Looks like he played center mid in his pro debut.

5. wcssstar33

wcssstar33 Member

Aug 28, 2008
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's progressions like this that are going to allow American soccer to move to the next level. We are building depth and player networks around the world.

This is awesome for him, especially since we aren't as deep in centerback prospects as other positions

6. SoccerKowboy

SoccerKowboy BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 13, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is he definitely one of ours? Haven't read the whole thread.

7. banbaseball

banbaseball Member

Oct 10, 2000
    East of the Bay
    If by ours, you mean American? Yes. If by ours, you mean has he been capped by either side, no. But he was called up to the U.S. U-20 camp in 2008. So, IMO, he's 90% ours. :)

8. SoccerKowboy

SoccerKowboy BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 13, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To clarify, I meant is he likely to play for US national teams at any level... so question answered. Thanks. :)

9. arkjayback

arkjayback Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Le Mars, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To me, he actually looks like a darker version of Stuart Holden.

Has he ever gone out on loan or anything? Its nice to see an American player stay in one place for an extended period of time and go through the natural progression.

10. Lascho

Lascho Member+

Sep 1, 2008
    Hannover, Germany
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    It wouldn't have made any sense to send him on loan anywhere. He's right on track. A young player getting playing time at the reserve team, and moving up to the first team; that's the way it goes.

11. arkjayback

arkjayback Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Le Mars, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well that was my point. So often lately we've seen young American players bouncing around in search of immediate playing time.

Morales and Lletget look like they're doing it right.

12. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Morales did not dress for Hertha this week.

13. alky13

alky13 Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Manchester/NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hertha are currently tied for first in points and are second because of goal differential. Theyre in line for automatic promotion if the season ended tomorrow. Unfortunately for them BL2 has 7 teams just 5 points or less away from first. They need to keep pace and it shows how highly Babbel thinks of him to give him a 70 minute debut as an unproven 20 year old.

14. Icke

Icke Member

Mar 15, 2009
    Kölle, Germany
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  15. smithfan

smithfan Member+

Aug 14, 2005
    Waimoana
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Quick translation:

Alfredo Morales was born and grew up in Wedding (Berlin), "of course I'm German, my mother is from Bavaria". But his father is from Peru, and he'd like to see his son playing for his national team. First contacts were established, "the Peruvians know about me". The German football federation is interested too. In Spring 2010, Morales was called up to a German U20 game against Italy, the train ticket was already on his way, however a protocolic problem prevented his debut - because Alfredo Morales had already played in international games. For the USA.

How the Americans beacame aware of him is still unknown to him. Somebody in the office of the US soccer federation must have found out that father Morales had once served in the US army and thus had American citizenship. This was in 2007 and Morales was in the subway when his mobile phone rang. Hmm, American number, weird, but he still answered the call. It was the coach of the American U20 national team: There'd be a tournament and maybe he'd be interested in joining the U20? At first he believed this to be a joke, then the line went dead. A 2nd attempt led to them exchanging email addresses. Soon after that, Morales was officially invited and became an American youth international.

The Americans are trying to develop a team for the Olympics 2012 in London. Morales would indeed like to be part of it, and it looks promising. He'd be minimum as proud if he got the chance to represent Germany, but his heart is set for Peru. "It's my blood, somehow I'm a Latino".

16. Donofan_10

Donofan_10 Red Card

Aug 20, 2009
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    so I guess that whole 90% ours thing isn't exactly accurate. It's obviously up to him, he's pretty clearly more German than anything else, but he'd get more time with the US if he developed into something really promising and Peru's federation seems to be a mess although obviously he'd get to playing time for them as well.

17. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Well, I'm pretty sure BigSoccer found out about him because his nationality was listed on his profile page on Hertha's web site and smithfan started this thread in 2006. So maybe that's how U.S. Soccer found out too...

18. prowazekii

prowazekii Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Morales was a late sub again today vs, Oberhausen.

19. alky13

alky13 Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Manchester/NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is his heart set on playing in a World Cup? He's not in the Germany scene and Peru hasn't qualified since '82. Like most players once reality settles in he'll make the choice. To some players it doesn't matter, who knows.

20. Hobo

Hobo Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. Vegas_Soccer

Vegas_Soccer Member

Apr 4, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hertha signed two young American players, Bryan Arguez and Ellis McLoughlin, both of whom were also in the US youth system. Alfredo started playing for us just after that time. I'm guessing one of his teammates might have had something to do with it.

22. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    I'm trying to figure out how Morales is considered cap-tied to the US.

To the best of my knowledge he hasn't played for the US in qualifiers or the U20 WC.

Here's a link to the US roster for qualifying from two years ago.

http://www.ussoccer.com/News/U-20-M...irst-Match-Of-CONCACAF-U-20-Championship.aspx

Here's the link to the roster for the U20 WC.
    http://www.fifa.com/tournaments/archive/u20worldcup/egypt2009/teams/team=1888304/squadlist.html

Morales isn't on either of those. So, barring something I don't know about, I don't see how he's cap-tied to the US.

23. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Perhaps I am misremembering, but I think I remember an article about Morales shortly after he was called up that said the same thing -- it was the teammates.

Morales is definitely not cap-tied. He only appeared in a few U-20 camps.

24. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007
    It was Arguez who alerted Rongen.

25. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007
    Well he is the option of the bench at 20 on the Top BL.2 team at the moment. I would call him up to the Egypt Friendly.