You're not dead to me, Fredo: Morales at Dusseldorf

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by smithfan, Sep 24, 2006.

1. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    They both look like medium-to-longshots at this point. Though anything is possible, Rongen hasn't called in McLaughlin in more than a year; Morales did just get a look with the team, but the defense is nevertheless crowded with players who appear to be ahead of him.

2. JAV7

JAV7 Member

Jun 2, 2009
    California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Isnt Morales a Midfielder and Ellis a Foward?

3. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    I thought Morales was a defender, but it seems the U.S. lists him as a midfielder. Guess I had that wrong.

Yes, McLaughlin is a forward.

In any case, the midfield is crowded too (and just got more crowded with the addition of Diskerud) and McLaughlin still hasn't been looked since the U20s went to Portugal in April 2008.

But ultimately, I don't know what's in Rongen's mind. Anything's possible.

4. Kool Herc

Kool Herc Member

Oct 17, 2008
    Dallas
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're better than that DMN - we need you inside Rongens head!!

:D

5. smithfan

smithfan Member+

Aug 14, 2005
    Waimoana
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  6. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. wcssstar33

wcssstar33 Member

Aug 28, 2008
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's hear the rumblings.

Personally if Germany has to call in a guy on the U20 team for a relegation bound club, they're in more trouble than I thought.

8. smithfan

smithfan Member+

Aug 14, 2005
    Waimoana
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    U20 is a team that only has friendly games in 2010, so it's not unusual that players are called up who aren't yet playing in the Bundesliga. This team however is quite extreme, because every U20 player who already plays in the Bundesliga (Contento/Bayern, Gündogan/Nuremberg, Yalcin/Cologne, Jung/Frankfurt, Vukcevic/Hoffenheim etc etc) and is normally nominated didn't get a callup this time. The new coach wants to test other players, I guess.

9. SeaOtter

SeaOtter Member

Nov 7, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Curious to see how this one goes. Does Germany get the answer that the U.S. typically gets with dual nationals? "I'd rather concentrate on my club commitments at the moment." Or does he jump at the chance.

And should it tell him anything that he isn't being called with what would be the expected first team players?

10. smithfan

smithfan Member+

Aug 14, 2005
    Waimoana
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The game is broadcast live on German sports television and there are usually lots of club scouts there, so it _is_ a chance in case he wants to present himself. But if his heart is with the US, I don't see any reason why he should suddenly play for a German U20 team which only plays in friendlies and where those play that aren't good enough for the U21.

11. Rainer24

Rainer24 Member

Jan 6, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hertha is a bit of a sinking ship at the moment, so maybe he just wants to put himself in the shop window. It's not a binding cap either way.

12. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Morales is a 90 and as such is too old for the current US U20 team.

The only US YNT he is age-eligible for is the U23 team and we haven't had a camp for that group yet and likely won't till we get closer to 2012.

But because UEFA has tournaments that are on a differnet calendar than FIFA's - U21, U19 - they can offer tournaments to similarly-aged kid that we can't this year.

I wouldn't worry about this too much till he is called into a camp for a qualifer. And even then, since YNT games don't cap-tie dual citizens, he can always change his mind later if things don't work out with Germany.

13. JAV7

JAV7 Member

Jun 2, 2009
    California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So was this guy born in the US or Germany?

14. smithfan

smithfan Member+

Aug 14, 2005
    Waimoana
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  15. Werdman89

Werdman89 Member+

May 27, 2008
    Boston, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think this means much at all. It's not like we didn't give him a chance to make our U-20 team. Actually, DMN, how many camps was Morales called in(I know you have a count somewhere...)?

16. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's also remember that European countries don't care that much about U-20s. They regard the European U-21 championship (which is really more like a U-23 tourney) much more highly.

Morales has been playing regularly in the back line of Hertha's U-23 team but he hasn't gotten any first team time yet. Morales' thought process is probably "why not?" After all, we didn't take him to the U20 WC and he was born in Germany after all.

Of course, the simple odds say that Morales is very unlikely ever to be good enough to play for Germany. He'll enter US "talent range" long before he enters the picture for Germany, if he continues to improve.

I wouldn't worry about it.

17. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Especially since it doesn't cap-tie him.

If he was my kid, I'd tell him to do it..............and I'm 100% USMNT. Why not? Put yourself in the shop window.............

18. smithfan

smithfan Member+

Aug 14, 2005
    Waimoana
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Morales is not on the team list anymore, as well as the other player who has played for another nation before. They have either realised that they invited players who play for another national team or the players don't want to. :D

Maxvall repped this.
  19. galo007

galo007 Guest

20. wcssstar33

wcssstar33 Member

Aug 28, 2008
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    wow, very nice goal.

21. CenterLine

CenterLine Member

Jan 17, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    terrible dance though, what are the chances he sees PT in BL2 for Hertha?

22. galo007

galo007 Guest

Time will tell though ????
    From 32 (U-23) games Alfredo has played 24 with 2 more to go, and many of them He has played very succesfully.
    According to many sources: this season He has improved a lot as an all arounder (MF,FB) and the chances to play in the 1st. team next season look good.
    We just have to wait and see if He decide to stay by HERTHA BSC ??????

23. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just want to know if he is gonna play for us:confused:

24. galo007

galo007 Guest

I am pretty sure that if He is invited He will consider the offer, He said before that it will a honor to represent the USA ????