Your top spiritual writers...

Discussion in 'Books' started by Dr. Wankler, Aug 13, 2004.

1. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    based on your understanding of spirit... etc.

For me, the more conventional first:

Thomas Merton, esp. Seven-Storey Mountain,New Seeds of Contemplation and his preface to The Wisdom of the Desert

Dorothy Day, esp her autobiography The Long Loneliness and her writings for The Catholic Worker. And a bit less conventional maybe...

Henry Miller, esp Tropic of Cancer, Colossus of Maroussi and The Books In My Life

Dadaist Hugo Ball, esp. his diary, Flight out of Time, or Flight From The Times, depending on the translation.

and finally, for now, the Japanese poet Ryokan.

2. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thomas Merton, definitely.
    Simone Weil (Jack Tarim, if you're still lurking out there somewhere, I still have your book)
    Viktor Frankl
    Mircea Eliade
    Joseph Campbell is interesting

I'm sure I'll think of more...

3. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jean-Dominique Bauby - The Diving Bell and the Butterfly

4. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I knew I was leaving off someone from my list: from the unorthodox: Michael Ventura, whose columns collected in Letters at 3 A.M., as well as his collection of dialogues with psychologist James Hillman in []We've Had One Hundred Years of Psychotherapy and the World is Getting Worse[/i] (or something like that) are nearly always insightful... with breakthrough insight, not "hmm, interesting" insight.

For years he wrote for the L.A. Weekly, now he writes for the Austin Chronicle. Here's his archive of his past 132 columns

http://www.austinchronicle.com/issues/dispatch/columns/lettersat3am.html

5. adri

adri Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Vancouver, Canada
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    George Carlin - "Napalm & Silly Putty"

6. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks a lot for posting that. I checked out the first column and was just struck - both by what he's saying and the simple, direct way he says it. I think I'll go back through that archive as soon as I've got some time.

7. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I gave Dr. Wankler rep ten minutes ago so I can't give it to him again but I must second this notion about Ventura, he is a tremendous though unappreciated writer...and yes, often quite spiritual and illuminating. When I lived in LA in 1985-86 he saved my life with his columns in the LA Weekly. I haven't always kept up with him on a consistent basis since, but when I do it's almost invariably worth it. Well worth the effort to seek out.

8. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    King David
    Solomon before he fell off the wagon
    The writer of Song of Solomon
    E.L. Doctorow
    Henry Melville
    Allen Ginsberg
    Bob Dylan
    Bob Marley
    Hermann Hesse
    To me Gabriel Garcia Marquez is a spiritual writer
    Paul Hewson
    Van Gogh
    Ethan Walker III The Mystic Christ

9. scottinkc

scottinkc Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Kansas City, MO
    I think Song of Solomon was written by Solomon AFTER he fell off the wagon.

C.S. Lewis

10. Daksims

Daksims New Member

Jun 27, 2001
    Colorado
    Paul - The Letter to the Romans
    Moses - Genesis
    Samuel - Judges
    John - John
    Peter - 1st & 2nd Peter
    Matthew - self titled
    Mark - self titled
    Luke - Acts
    Isaiah - self titled
    King David - Psalms
    King Solomon - Proverbs & Ecclesiastes

11. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Fredrick Buechner

Wishful Thinking is a nice book and Godric is simply an amazing work of fiction.

12. La China Poblana

May 13, 2003
    Chicago
    Kahlil Gibran
    Lao-tzu

13. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    There are a couple of living women I should've mentioned: Anne Lamott, whose Traveling Mercies is really good, and Kathleen Norris, who has a couple of good ones, esp. The Cloister Walk

On the American Indian front, I like Black Elk quite a bit, and one of my all-time favorite books is Lame Deer: Seeker of Visions by John Fire Lame Deer and Richard Erdoes. It's kinda like Henry Miller meets Black Elk.

14. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To second lisabrazil09, Lao-tzu. Tao Te Ching is the most spiritual and also cynical book in the world. I suggest the Gia-fu Feng translation.

Nikos Kazantzakis

15. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    • Silouan the Athonite: various writings...he never wrote a book, they just found tons of scraps of paper with writings on them after he died and its been sifted through, compiled and attempted to be put in some kind of order.
    • Theophan the Recluse: The Spiritual Life & How to be Attuned to It
    • Theophylact of Bulgaria: Explanation of the Gospels
    • Ephraim of Syria: his poetry
    • Symeon the New Theologian: his poetry
    • Joseph the Hesychast: Letters
    • Anastasios of Albania: Facing the World
    • Cleopa of Romania: various writings

finally, two novelists:
    • Shusako Endo: The Samurai
    • Yukio Mishima: As bizarre as a lot of his ideas were, he did have some valuable things to say when his "crazy switch" was occasionally in the off position.

I'm sure I will think of many more, but these are ones that sprang to mind immediately.

16. christopher d

christopher d New Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Weehawken, NJ
    Caitlin Matthews
    Scott Cunningham
    Starhawk
    Ann Moura
    Bill Wilson
    Jack Spong
    Robert Greenleaf
    Gary Snyder
    Jack Kerouac pre-1960 (before he got too drunk too feel anything)
    Allen Ginsberg

And if you haven't read this guy, neither pass go nor collect $200 until you have:
    Swami Beyondananda . Priceless wisdom there.

17. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Good call and Kerouac. I've been reading his collected letters in bits and pieces all summer. The first volume is great, but you can see the wheels starting to come off right about the time he gets famous, and by the end of the second volume... it's some of the most depressing stuff I've ever read.

I like the bits of Starhawk I read. She really gives the willies to a lot of the old priests at the college where my wife and I work, and some reactionary catholic groups like to protest her lectures, which gave rise to her comment, "I don't know why they're so worried about witches. The Catholic church killed a lot of women for being witches, and witches never killed anyone for being Catholic."

Now I have to get busy spreading reputation so I can rep Nicodemus' post for his reading list and for the comment on Mishima's "crazy switch."

18. Malaga CF fan

Malaga CF fan Member

Apr 19, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    G.K. Chesterton
    C.S. Lewis
    Fredrick Buechner
    Boethius

19. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rumi (poetry) - while he's become PC in faux spiritual circles, in fact he's the real deal

20. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have to agree FlashMan here. His stuff is very enjoyable even if it is hip with the "Mystic of the Month Club."

21. christopher d

christopher d New Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Weehawken, NJ
    Very famous interview he did on the old William F. Buckley show where he comes on stage drunk out of his gourd and bitter about everything. Just sad to watch, really.
    Great line. I'd rep your wife if I could :).

22. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Yeah. Kerouac pulled off showing up drunk at public appearances a decade before the Firing Line appearance, but he was pretty far gone by the time he talked to Buckley. There was a great reaction shot of Ginsberg I've seen in a couple of documentaries. He was in the audience, and looking incredibly concerned for Kerouac.

Oh, my vague use of pronouns created the appearance that my wife made that comment: it was actually Starhawk's line, in an interview with Matthew Fox, whom I hereby add to my list based on his better books.

23. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    must concur re Fox. his Coming of the Cosmic Christ is some kind of classic, though i'm not sure what kind.

24. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This may be a bizarre inclusion, but I'm going to throw Arvo Part's name in the mix. He writes music, and that's a form of writing (although not what Dr. Wankler was going for I'm sure.) I've learned more from his music than I have from a lot of people's writings though, so I'm adding him to my list.

25. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I literally just started St. Nikolai Velimirovich's Prayers by the Lake, written from a monastery overlooking Lake Ohrid in what was Yugoslavia at the time, but is in present day Macedonia I believe. If the first few pages are any indication of how the rest of this is going to go, I will be adding this book to that list. He certainly had an inspiring view:

[​IMG]

St. Nikolai was a survivor of the Dachau concentration camp and spent two years there before the camp was liberated by American forces.

[​IMG]