Your top 5 coaching candidates for the Chicago Fire.

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by Thebizkit, May 12, 2007.

1. kebzach

kebzach Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Greenfield, WI
    Whatever you say.

2. Kozy

Kozy tHE pOPULAR fRONT

Oct 13, 2004
    check.
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks man.

:cool:

3. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Jul 3, 2006
    Point Washington, FL
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chris "Cookie" Coleman. End of.

4. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    1-Peter Nowak
    2-Octavio Zambrano

5. Kozy

Kozy tHE pOPULAR fRONT

Oct 13, 2004
    check.
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    CCC would be an incredible hire.

:)

6. kornkid15

kornkid15 Member

Mar 16, 2007
    chi-city
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Carlos Zambrano would be good too...big fire fan we must not forget and could probably coach a better game then Dave *points at the sky*

7. SixKick

SixKick Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2000
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Octavio Zambrano is a Fire fan?

8. genpabloescobar

Feb 17, 2002
    1. Thebizkit
    2. SuperSting
    3. Karlheinz
    4. Roberto di Parco
    5. Marc-Paul Gosselar

9. Fun with Acid

Fun with Acid New Member

Mar 12, 2004
    Lake Kinkaid
    Thank you!

My god I hope Chris gets a pat on the back a big thank you for all he has done and that he never has anything to do with the team again.

Wynalda or Piotr would get me to go to games again.

Frank would not be a bad choice but he is kind of like a bad B movie. Sure I liked Dawn of the Dead but it is no Dr. Stranglove.

10. Fun with Acid

Fun with Acid New Member

Mar 12, 2004
    Lake Kinkaid
    Oh yes.

Likes the yanks and did a good job with little cash. They also at least tried to play some football.

11. Saeyddthe

Saeyddthe Member

Sep 5, 2003
    St. Looney ^the CB&J

He didn't play in the game = Dave's decision.

He didn't make the trip = his.

Or, he couldn't cross the border for some reason.

Doesn't matter though... It's pretty obvious he's already retired, on the field...might as well give him something to do when he's at the game.

12. Detlef

Detlef Member

Jul 20, 2001
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1) Arsene Wenger
    2) Bora
    3) Frank Klopas
    4) A Chicago Cubs-style "college of coaches" featuring myself, Fun With Acid, Kebzach & IlliniOnFire.

13. CUS

CUS New Member

Apr 20, 2000
    IIRC, Bradley and Nowak are the U23 coaches. So if they lose the senior position, they are still under contract.

14. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    I'm on record as saying that Dave needs to win this year. Five years in, it isn't good enough to have a decent season. Still, I'm not a big fan of major change in the middle of the season for a number of reasons. I also don't think it is time to panic from two road losses out of three straight road games.

Having said all that, I remain underwhelmed by the legitimate suggestions. They either have major question marks (like Peter who went out with a whimper at DC with a team that should have done much better) or they are entirely unproven like Frank and Eric.

On its face, I would love to have Bob back, but I'm not convinced that: a) he is the type that can go back again; b) that he could work as well with the current front office as he did the old one; and c) that he wouldn't be looking for bigger and better things if he doesn't get the nats job full-time.

If we go into a tailspin, I think you make a change before the all-star break to give the new guy some time to get organized and make a push to the stretch run (which is really the only important thing in MLS -- see, Nowak comments above).

If not, then I think you play out the season. If we win it all there are no questions. If we don't, then you look to make a change with the time and larger pool of candidates that give you more of a chance at success.

15. NotAbbott

NotAbbott Member

Oct 11, 1999
    My Own Little World
    John Trask.

16. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Dave is canned midseason (without a massive losing streak I don't see that happening), the prescient that has been set would likely see Hamlett moved to the top coaching spot for the remainder of the season, and if he looks even close to serviceable, I can see the front office keeping him around the following season. The best chance to see Sarachan booted and an entirely new coach brought in would not be till after this season (either Dave is kept on the entire season and let go at the end, or Hamlett isn't asked to return as head coach).

17. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    Normally, I would agree with you. There are two differences here from the normally canning (hypothetically). First, you have Klopas just kind of waiting there in the wings. I love Frankie the player and the ambassador, but for some reason I have nagging doubts about him as a potential coach. It's not just based on the Storm as they were an expansion team in a totally different game.

Second, you do have Bradley hanging out there. If they don't give him the gig full time, he will probably be available right about the time guppy might be considering a move -- early to mid July.

Still, I would not at all be shocked to see Dennis get the interim job if that were to happen.

18. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't disagree with this...if it was Wilt or someone a little more competent at the helm, but Guppy hasn't managed to pull off anything all that impressive in his time here. I will give him some credit for Blanco, but teams all over the league are landing DP players, so I don't consider that anything really special. Acquisitions have been mediocre. Marketing has been shit. No shirt sponsors (which is fine with me unless you consider the fact that he was actively trying to get one). I'm not sure I see Guppy rocking his own boat unless things really turn to shit. If that happens, any actions he takes are predominantly to save his own ass.

19. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Willy ********ing Roy, dammit.

20. CUS

CUS New Member

Apr 20, 2000
    I don't know what he's been doing lately, Brett Hall.

Edit: Maybe after the WWC, Greg Ryan.

21. Der Stich

Der Stich Member+

May 3, 2005
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire

How did MPG jump into the top 5 ahead of I PINCH!?

22. cesba

cesba Member

Sep 5, 2006
    Indiana
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

6. Dustin Diamond
    7. Diego Maradona (imagine the fun on Rush Street)
    8. The two guys from Fox Footbal Fone-In (just to call in on Tuesday's and ridicule them).
    9. John Guppy
    10. Cuatehemoc Blanco

23. feuerfex

feuerfex Member

Apr 21, 2001
    He's Greg Ryan's number one assistant.

24. kikkoman1231

kikkoman1231 New Member

Jun 2, 2005
    Comiskey Park
    Why isn't Jacques Chirac or Glenn Roeder on anyone's list?

They've been let go from their respective countries/clubs.

My list:

1 Chuck Norris
    2 Chuck Norris
    3 Chuck Norris
    4 John Stamos
    5 Chuck Norris

25. CUS

CUS New Member

Apr 20, 2000
    Thanks feuerfex. That makes things even more interesting.

I have a feeling Cuatehemoc Blanco is going to be the de facto coach when he gets here anyway ;)