Your Squad Pick for Euro 2016

Discussion in 'Italy: National Teams' started by Italy-Azzurri-Fan, Jul 19, 2015.

1. calabrese8

calabrese8 Member+

Feb 9, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    not a bad effort except it would be foolish to play DDR out of position over an in form and in position Bonucci. Chiellini is also left footed...

Rosay repped this.
  2. Stamos

Stamos Member

Apr 6, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    You don't play De Rossi in a back four when you have Romagnoli, Bonnucci, Barzagli and even Rugani all available to you. In a back 3? Sure.. Not a back four.

Otherwise, good lineup. If Conte doesnt pick Insigne, I'll lose all faith in him for this project.

annoyingracoon01, Nek Sanalet and Rosay repped this.
  3. Sal

Sal Red Card

Feb 9, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    He still doesn't understsnd the concept of a left footed CB playing on the left.

4. canzano55

canzano55 Member+

Jun 23, 2003
    Toronto
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Play him wide then with Bernardeschi in an inverse role where he drops back.

The beauty about the 4-3-3 is that it gives you a lot of flexibility but more importantly it's the prefferred counter attacking formation.

5. Nek Sanalet

Nek Sanalet Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    Dec 30, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    AC Milan
    I agree. Bonucci and Chiellini have to start in the back. One thing I will say about Calabrese choosing De Rossi is that I now want DDR on the squad for the Euros. The fact that he can play in the back if we go 3 5 2 or if injuries/suspensions happen, makes him a valuable commodity. Astori and Ranocchia have had a terrible season. Barzagli has been injury prone, and Rugani doesn't play. De Rossi is a good back up in a variety of positions.

Its a wonderfully bold lineup your asking for. It certainly won't happen, but I wouldn't mind. I think that Bonaventura deserves to get plenty of playing time this summer as well.

Rosay and Stamos repped this.
  6. JCNapoli17

JCNapoli17 Member+

Aug 23, 2012
    Winning
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    I'd look into a 4-4-2 with a marchisio Verratti midfield if Conte ignores Jorginhos existence

Play Bonaventura and Florenzi on the wings and partner Insigne up to with a striker

7. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Can Bonaventura play on the wing though? Isn't he a trequartista for Milan? I am not sure if he is as good on the wing or not.

8. JCNapoli17

JCNapoli17 Member+

Aug 23, 2012
    Winning
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    he plays as a Left Midfielder for Milan in a 4-4-2

Rosay repped this.
  9. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    For some reason I thought Milan used a 4-3-1-2 like this:

-Bacca-Niang-
    -Bonaventura-
    -Bertolacci-Montolivo-Honda-
    -De Sciglio-Romagnoli-Alex-Abate-
    -Donarumma-​

10. calabrese8

calabrese8 Member+

Feb 9, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    do you have formations for when you buy cereal and stock it in your cupboard?

Cheerios - Froot Loops
    Lucky Charms - corn flakes - frosted flakes - chex
    Honey Nut Cheerios - Coooookie Crisp - Golden Grahams - Life
    Captain Crunch

phat, Rossonero23, Rosay and 1 other person repped this.
  11. Stamos

Stamos Member

Apr 6, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Firstly, no - he doesnt play as a trequartista for Milan. He's an attacking left midfielder.
    Secondly, players aren't static pieces you slot into strict roles. Just because a player is used one way in one formation does not mean he can't be flexible and adapt to similar roles. This isn't a video game after all.

Just read Conte's recent interview. I havent been too pleased with his reign thus far, but I'll say this: he's ambitious. This isn't Cesare Prandelli downplaying our chances at every turn or turning around and saying he never believed this was a Cup-winning side.
    Conte is playing for 7 games. He's playing for the Cup - he makes it clear and definite - and for that, I can respect him.

Rosay and calabrese8 repped this.
  12. Milan05

Milan05 Member

Dec 2, 2015
    Club:
    AC Milan
    #512 Milan05, Feb 13, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2016
    [​IMG]

Bench: Perin, Donnarumma - De Sciglio, Antonelli, Rugani, Romagnoli - Candreva, Florenzi, Bonaventura - Pellè, Immobile, Berardi

13. Rosay

Rosay Member+

May 7, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Barzagli as LB? At least throw Chiellini there if your going to play a CB in a left back position

14. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    El Shaarawy and Zaza, LOOOLLL. If you are picking Zaza because the goal against Napoli I understand, but still Zaza usually does better when he comes on later than when he starts actually. He is a good backup but not a starting player. SES, don't even get me started on him again.

15. Stamos

Stamos Member

Apr 6, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    My squad pick as of February 14th, 2016:

Buffon
    Sirigu (on thin ice only playing 6 games two-thirds of the season in)
    Donnarumma

Chiellini
    Bonucci
    Barzagli
    Rugani (hopefully he features a bit more, otherwise Romagnoli takes his spot)
    Darmian
    Florenzi
    Antonelli (him over Di Sciglio as I prefer a natural leftback here)

Verratti
    DeRossi
    Marchisio
    Jorginho (him over Pirlo so we can be more fluid and team oriented in the middle)
    Candreva
    Bernardeschi
    Saponara
    Bonaventura

Vázquez
    Insigne
    Berardi
    Pavoletti (hate all you want, the guy is one of the few Italians around scoring. It was between him and Pelle)
    Zaza (he showed a hunger against Napoli, goal aside, that surprised me)

Based on the selections, I go for an attacking 4-2-3-1.
    In the 3 attacking mids, I choose between Candreva, Bonaventura, Insigne, Bernardeschi, Saponara and Vazquez.
    Berardi, Zaza and Pavoletti fight for the lone striker spot.

Yes, we're weak up front...

Nek Sanalet repped this.
  16. totti fan

totti fan Red Card

Jun 24, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Does Pavoletti translate into small Pavlova in Italian?

17. totti fan

totti fan Red Card

Jun 24, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Did you know Verratti actually has two left feet?

Rossonero23 and Sal repped this.
  18. totti fan

totti fan Red Card

Jun 24, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Apparently he can b/c Perotti has only played in friendlies (?)

Sal repped this.
  19. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I think you have got too many inexperienced players. Rugani, Jorginho, Bernardeschi, Saponara, Berardi, Vazquez, Pavoletti, and possibly Bonaventura (Not Sure) haven't made their Azzurri debuts yet. I'd replace at least one of them with Gabbs and Giovinco. Maybe take out Vazquez and Saponara/Pavoletti and replace with Gabbs/Giovinco. Also I don't think you have enough DM-CM midfielders as many of the ones like to attack. Maybe put in Bertolacci for one of the attacking ones.

20. Stamos

Stamos Member

Apr 6, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Nah, I'm good, thanks.

21. Nek Sanalet

Nek Sanalet Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    Dec 30, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    AC Milan
    I find little fault with this 23. Pirlo had to be dropped at this point. It's madness to even consider him anymore. The only area I'm not 100% in agreement with you is at the forward positions. I still think Gabbs could be a valuable contributor to the national team. I would take him over Pavoletti who I don't think is that great regardless of the decent season he's having. Zaza probably punched his ticket with his recent performances. Lets also not forget Immobile who could certainly worm his way onto the team. He now starts every game for Torino, and if he keeps scoring goals Conte might roll the dice on him. I think Berardi is probably not making it. Sad to say, but I doubt he gets called up in March. I think Conte takes three center forwards....Zaza, Gabbs, Pelle, and Immobile are the four guys fighting for those three spots. Balotelli has zero chance, same with Destro/Paloschi/Pavoletti IMO. As for support/wings...Candreva, Eder and Insigne are most likely in. I really like Vasquez, but Conte doesn't seem to be that high on him.

Stamos and Rosay repped this.
  22. Stamos

Stamos Member

Apr 6, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #522 Stamos, Feb 15, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2016
    Well, Pavoletti is apparently out for 6 weeks now. There goes that (not that I'm crying over his miminal chances now)
    I'd take Gabbs over Pavoletti but I do worry if he can prosper in that CF role. It's one of those gambles where I'd like to think he can but really don't know. I'd still say Pelle is the safer pick...if he gets going, he's so efficient.

I like Vasquez for his versatility - he can do well as a support striker and can easily be slotted in to a trequartista role (the idea of him and Saponara fighting to start right behind our striker(s) would be intriguing.

Whats your ideal formation?

23. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    4-3-1-2 or 4-3-3. With the players that seem to be performing right now I'd give a 4-3-1-2 a try:

-Insigne-Gabbiadini-
    -Bonaventura-
    -Marchisio-De Rossi-Verratti-
    -Darmian-Chiellini-Bonucci-Florenzi-
    -Buffon-
    Subs: Sirigu, Barzagli, De Sciglio, Bertolacci, Candreva, Giovinco, Zaza.
    4-3-3 same but switch Bonaventura with Candreva on the RW. I would really wish we could put Berardi there, but lets be honest, he is not having a really good season so far, and if he doesn't make the top goal scorers chart or top assists chart we really can't be starting him. As for strikers Zaza is doing really well to, but I just think we need a big and strong striker that is good at dribbling, shooting, and heading and I have to say I have seen Gabbs do all of that really well when given a chance. Zaza is a good player but I can't just take him into the starting squad for that goal against Napoli. He is a good backup but I don't think he really is deserving enough to start over Gabbiadini.

24. Nek Sanalet

Nek Sanalet Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    Dec 30, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    AC Milan
    I think we will get a clearer picture come March. By then, we will know if players like Saponara, Jorginho, Berardi, and Bernardeschi will make the squad (or even have a chance). We are getting so close to the Euros that speculation on formations doesn't interest me anymore. I'm waiting to see which players have a realistic shot at going to France before concocting lineups. The sad reality is that many of the in-form midfielders this year in Serie A have not even been capped by Conte. He has done a bad job at implementing these guys. The big question is whether Conte even bothers giving them an opportunity next month. For instance, if Saponara is ignored....then the 4 3 1 2 is a dead formation to speculate on. I think that 4 3 3 and 3 5 2 are the most realistic options (or perhaps old school 4 4 2). Its a wait and see moment right now. These next two fixtures are the last chance for many inexperienced players to have any hope for the Euros. Lets see what happens...then I will form an opinion.

Like you, I find it really unsettling to see such a limited pool of forwards for Italy. I can't imagine we've ever been weaker at the center forward position in our whole history. Gabbs and Zaza are bench players this year (though if being honest they would be starters on almost any other Serie A team and probably scoring 15-18 goals a season), Pelle hasn't scored a goal since before Thanksgiving (and only a paltry 6 for the whole season), and Immobile couldn't cut it in most of Europe before putting his tail between his legs and running back to a mid-table team in Serie A. These are the four players who are realistically going to be the guys we will ask to score goals up top.

25. sheva_7

sheva_7 Member

May 12, 2015
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Insigne in midfield?
    Please stop playing FIFA...IRL he'll get murdered playing in that position

Deleted User x repped this.