Your significant other doesn't like soccer? Have them read this!!!

Discussion in 'USA Men: Fans & Travel' started by Colonel Angus, Aug 4, 2003.

1. Colonel Angus

Colonel Angus New Member

Feb 24, 2003
    Shady Thicketts
  2. Kevin Etzel

Kevin Etzel Member

Jul 18, 2000
    New York
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A Pair of Shoes

If only my wife would accept an offer of a pair of shoes for each soccer-related trip she would take with me. She would have had by now two closets of only shoes instead of the current one. Until she does accept this offer or I find another item to barter for her joining me for a soccer-related trip I will go it alone and enjoy the companionship of my fellow travelling soccer fans.

At least she joined me in driving to DC for a game a few years ago. She left me off at the stadium while she and our son explored the Museum of Natural History. Everyone was happy. The next step is the three of us travelling to the site of a soccer game together and me and my son (now 8) attending the game, but then what does my wife do all alone?

Kevin

3. LisiLover

LisiLover New Member

Jul 18, 2003
    Memphis, TN
    I think that you guys have it pretty easy, considering. At least a woman can be easily convinced with enough offers of shoes and romantic allusions. My fiance HATES soccer. It is much more difficult to get a man to agree to do something he dislikes (re: put toilet seats down, mow the lawn, watch soccer with me). He travels with me to some games on weekends when we can both get away, says he wants to be with me and go to the game itself rather than stay at the hotel or do something else and then proceeds to COMPLAIN during the game. I've taken to travelling for soccer with my mother. At least she's as rabid a fan as I am. We went to the Confederations Cup for 2 weeks and I did miss David, but not his complaining.

4. David Allan

David Allan New Member

Apr 5, 1999
    Southeastern PA
    I'm thankful that my significant other fell in love with the game. With my passion for the game, plus 2 boys playing lots of travel soccer, it seems that soccer is much of what we do as a family together.

It's rewarding to hear her make observations about players, plays and games that are spot on.

P.S. Please nobody tell her about the shoes deal :)

5. Anthony

Anthony Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Aug 20, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well all of you can just get jealous. I met my wife playing soccer and our first date was a DC United game.

6. vince stravino

vince stravino New Member

Dec 9, 2001
    Appalachia
    A couple years ago I was pretty excited about Landon's first game with the Senior Nats. It was a friendly against Mexico and it was on Fox SportsWorld. I was gonna stay home and watch it, but my girlfriend really wanted me to visit her a few hours away. She INSISTED she had the station. I made her check twice. She said, "No problem."

I arrived ten minutes before game time and she said, "Oh, I think I just have regular Fox Network. Is that the same thing?"

I broke up with her.

Hottie or not, ya gotta do what ya gotta do to promote soccer in the US.

Lisilover....I got a photo or two of you and your Mom in France if you want them. Contact me at wingmandeluxe@hotmail.com. Ciao. Hope all is well.

7. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    60$ later, I recommend NOT sending this to your soccer-hating loved one. At least I got to see Adu and company during my vacation...

8. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My wife will go to games, but she isn't a fan. I could bring her to a horse-racing event, she'd be happy to be there.

The only time she is a fan is when my son, 14, is playing. She's played the game, she's worked in the sport - but she's not a fan.

9. houndguy

houndguy New Member

Sep 5, 2001
    Pittsburgh, Pa
    Re: A Pair of Shoes

Let her start dating again. The money you save on dinner alone will pay for Germany.

That's what my wife does. :)

(I'm kidding Honey, now put down that shoe slowly)

10. elainemichelle

elainemichelle New Member

Jul 20, 2002
    I know a couple guys who are already listing this as a requirement for girlfriends.

It's one of mine for guys as well. He has to at least be willing to watch and not complain at all about all of the time I spend talking about it, watching it, reading about, etc. The last one whined and look what it got him....

11. Delta Blues

Delta Blues New Member

Jun 25, 1999
    King Willieville
    LOL!

Hey! Another Memphis fan on these boards!

As for the topic, my wife thinks I'm borderline lunatic/obsessive when it comes to footy. I must say she's good about enduring my cross-country trips to see the national team and even puts up with my FSW/Yahoo Platinum hijinks almost daily. She even said she'd like to go to a national team game with me next time. I think I'll wait for a big Hex qualifier so she's not dissapointed. That might be just the thing to turn her completely over to the good side!

Kevin

12. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My wife started reading "Brilliant Orange" does not seem to care for it.